Any Matt Savoie news? | Golden Skate

Any Matt Savoie news?

Matt Savoie (I will defend this cliam against anyone :) ) was the best U.S. men's skater in the early 2000s, bar none. :love:

Also to his credit, he carried out his competitive skating career while a full-time college student. He earned his bachelor's degree summa cum laude in political science from Bradley University in 2002. While continuing training and competing leading up to the 2006 Olympics, Matt earned a master's degree in urban planning at the University of Illinois in 2005, receiving the award for outstanding graduate student from the American Institute of Certified Planners.

He also served as the skaters representative to the ISU technical committee, starting in 2006.

After the Olympics Matt entered Cornell Law School (U.S. ice dancer Jamie Silverstein :love: :love: :love: was also a student at Cornell at this time.) I believe, however, that Matt left Cornell without completing his law degree.

Does anyone know whether Savoie is still involved in skating? Or whether he is working full time in urban planning, or continuing his education? Matt was a true artist on ice, as well as a "gentleman and a scholar." :yes:

TtonyV7

On the Ice
I am curious myself on what he is doing. He was truly an amazing skater. My strongest appreciation for him was his moves into jumps. Rarely in Men's and VERY rarely in Ladies do we see any moves/footworks/tricks into triple jumps any more... Even in this GOE system that rewards such moves. Boy do I miss him!

lmarie086

Medalist
Matt Savoie (I will defend this cliam against anyone :) ) was the best U.S. men's skater in the early 2000s, bar none. :love:

I will defend that claim with you! I still haven't seen all of his performances from the early 2000s, but I have seen enough to prefer above most others from the US. If I wasn't already a fan, his "Adagio for Strings" SP would convince me, as would his "Mission" LP.

I haven't heard any news about him in a while either, I hope he's doing well!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will defend that claim as well, Mathman. I totally agree! :love::love::love: Matt Savoie, Ryan Jahnke, and Jeremy Abbott have been/are my favorite American men of the 2000s. They are all known for having difficult, dynamic choreography with impressive transitions. It's a big credit to the amazing Tom Dickson, who choreographed for all 3 of them. :bow:

shine

Record Breaker
Wow, Mathman, I wasn't aware that he had left Cornell! Was there any mention in articles that I missed? That's quite surprising to me since he sounded very insistent about pursuing a Law degree, and that was the major reason for his absence is skating! I really, really miss his skating too, and think he was/is one of the most musical and sophisticated skaters of our era! If he's not in Law school, it'd be absolutely wonderful if he came back to grace us with his presence in competitive skating!

efreedman

On the Ice

Also to his credit, he carried out his competitive skating career while a full-time college student. He earned his bachelor's degree summa cum laude in political science from Bradley University in 2002. While continuing training and competing leading up to the 2006 Olympics, Matt earned a master's degree in urban planning at the University of Illinois in 2005, receiving the award for outstanding graduate student from the American Institute of Certified Planners.

He also served as the skaters representative to the ISU technical committee, starting in 2006.

After the Olympics Matt entered Cornell Law School (U.S. ice dancer Jamie Silverstein :love: :love: :love: was also a student at Cornell at this time.) I believe, however, that Matt left Cornell without completing his law degree.

Does anyone know whether Savoie is still involved in skating? Or whether he is working full time in urban planning, or continuing his education? Matt was a true artist on ice, as well as a "gentleman and a scholar." :yes:

The last time I saw/spoke to Matt Savoie was at An Evening with Champions in Boston last October. He is still skating beautifully. As for school/plans, at the time, Paul Wylie indicated that he had already lined up a job in Boston. Based on comments that he made to me directly, he had no plans to integrate his experience/knowledge gained through his masters degree in urban planning.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Matt

I really enjoyed Matt's skating :love: - especially Adagio and Mission. Wow, he took me on the journey with him and really became the music.

I recall that he performed at Evening with champions and contacted them about a possible DVD. I got an email back that said that it would take awhile to produce the DVD, but I've heard nothing since.

Anyone have any info on the DVD?

silverfox

Rinkside

Matt was a true artist on ice, as well as a "gentleman and a scholar." :yes:

My strongest appreciation for him was his moves into jumps. Rarely in Men's and VERY rarely in Ladies do we see any moves/footworks/tricks into triple jumps any more... Even in this GOE system that rewards such moves. Boy do I miss him!

If I wasn't already a fan, his "Adagio for Strings" SP would convince me, as would his "Mission" LP.

:love::love::love: Matt Savoie, Ryan Jahnke, and Jeremy Abbott have been/are my favorite American men of the 2000s. They are all known for having difficult, dynamic choreography with impressive transitions. It's a big credit to the amazing Tom Dickson, who choreographed for all 3 of them. :bow:

I can't think of anything to add. You've said it all.

My hat goes off to Tom Dickson as well. You see him during practices sessions for major competitions, still tweaking and fine tuning his pieces which are already exemplary.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
WOW. I went back at watched his Olympic's freeskate........ He didn't do elements, he skated a program. What a skater! He is the best skater who has not had any major international achievements.

shine

Record Breaker
I heart Matt Savoie as well. He was a true artist at heart and so many of his programs were so inspiring. I still remember the chill I felt after his 2002 US Nationals SP and the sadness over his missed Olympic berth that year. If he had skated a later, he would've been very well rewarded by the system as protocol judging becomes less and less prominent compared to before.

BigRedSkating

Spectator
I believe, however, that Matt left Cornell without completing his law degree.

No he's still at Cornell, but graduating in a few weeks. Having seen him skate at practice sessions, it is like watching passion on ice. I have never seen anything like it.

Last edited:

gocaroline

On the Ice
I can't think of anything to add. You've said it all.

My hat goes off to Tom Dickson as well. You see him during practices sessions for major competitions, still tweaking and fine tuning his pieces which are already exemplary.

Same here. He carries such grace on ice:love: Back then I always wondered why judges didn't see what I see:scratch: Tom Dickson is a true artist. Yuna's 2007 World SP is a masterpiece by him.

Best wishes to Matt!

doug_log

On the Ice
Savoie - Sighting

I saw Matt all week at the Staples Center for Worlds. He was wearing a blazer, tie, and khakis, and looked somewhat official with some ISU insignia on a badge of some sort. Maybe he is/was working/volunteering with the ISU?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I miss him too and thought he was one of the best!!!! :love: :love:

skatesindreams

Rinkside
No he's still at Cornell, but graduating in a few weeks. Having seen him skate at practice sessions, it is like watching passion on ice. I have never seen anything like it.

I'm so glad that he is graduating - and still skating!

I was privileged to see him at Nationals in 2005 and 2006. His programs were things of beauty, and brought me to tears. He never got the credit he deserved - particularly in 2005!

I long to see him skate again.

Clarice

Rinkside
A friend of mine is skating in the ISI sanctioned show in Peoria tonight (and last night), and brought me a program. Matt is the special guest skater. His bio says that he graduated from Cornell last weekend with a Juris Doctorate. Congrats to Matt, and I'm only sad that this show wasn't better publicized so I could have gone to see him skate again!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I saw Matt all week at the Staples Center for Worlds. He was wearing a blazer, tie, and khakis, and looked somewhat official with some ISU insignia on a badge of some sort. Maybe he is/was working/volunteering with the ISU?
Yes, Savoie is currently the athlete representative on the ISU Technical Committee for Single & Pair Skating.

Thanks for the update, Clarice! Congrats to Matt on his J.D.!