Flatt looks forward to L.A. homecoming | Golden Skate

Flatt looks forward to L.A. homecoming

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090313&content_id=62534&vkey=ice_news

According Rachael Flatt, there just might be "something in the water" in Colorado Springs.

The 16 year-old is one of five U.S. world team members who train at the scenic city's mile-high World Arena. Two-time U.S. pair champions Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker are coached by Dalilah Sappenfield, while Flatt, men's champ Jeremy Abbott and silver medalist Brandon Mroz all train under the leadership of Tom Zakrajsek, who heads a team including associate coach Becky Calvin.

flying camel

Medalist
"It's going incredibly well, [choreographer] Lori Nichol came out for a couple of days to work with both me and Brandon. The entire middle section is different, but it's really coming along. In practice I'm doing a lot of clean programs so I'm really excited about how things are going."

I think most of us loved her old program as it was. It is asking a lot to have a some what new program in such a short time.

It does sound like she and her coach are very aware of her problems such as speed and those slow spins. I am anxious to see how much she has improved since 4CC. But they didn't say anything about posture.

Interesting that she has been working on the triple axel. I think she is too slow for that jump.

But I wish her and Alissa all the luck at Worlds. I have a feeling they are going to both skate really well. They may even surprise some of you.

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
I am a bit worried about that new middle section too. I didn't think going back to that LP was a good idea in the first place, but now it sounds even more risky. I hope she can pull it off though.

MasterB

Final Flight
I hope that means she has dropped that ugly blue dress. At nationals she wore a burgundy dress with heavy rhinestones during practices and I thought that was going to be her new dress but, alas she did not use it at nationals nor at 4CC.

The new dress for the short program at 4CC looked such much better. She also needs to stop wearing the tights over her boots. White boots give her a better appearance over all.

I think, too, that the altitude of Colorado prepares skaters to execute jumps with less oxygen. If Rachael can do a 3A without the speed of a Mao, all power to her. Maybe we will see it, but, alas, the Tech Panel will already be skeptical before she attempts.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I hope that means she has dropped that ugly blue dress. At nationals she wore a burgundy dress with heavy rhinestones during practices and I thought that was going to be her new dress but, alas she did not use it at nationals nor at 4CC.

The new dress for the short program at 4CC looked such much better. She also needs to stop wearing the tights over her boots. White boots give her a better appearance over all.

I agree that she needs to get away from the baby blue dresses, but somebody with her body type need over the boot tights. Wearing in the boot tights cuts up the leg, making it look shorter and stockier.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I agree that she needs to get away from the baby blue dresses, but somebody with her body type need over the boot tights. Wearing in the boot tights cuts up the leg, making it look shorter and stockier.
I want to see her in red, in bright violet, in black... Perhaps she should take a look at the costumes of the Finnish girls, they always look stunning, with pretty shiny hair thingies, the costumes always seem to fit very well. Or perhaps at Rochette's costumes, they have similar colouring and Rochette has great costumes.

flying camel

Medalist
I too would love to see her in something black for the Lp. I would also like to see her wear her hair in that little twist to the side thing. I think she wore it at the exhibition at US nationals. Does anyone remember that?

R.D.

Record Breaker
"I think we're going to have to skate really well in order to get those three ladies' spots back for the Olympics," Flatt said. "It's just another challenge and I'm very excited for it."

Not only that, but rely on mistakes from others

If she places high at worlds she probably doesn't need the 3A.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm rooting for Rachael to do really well. As for her appearance, I think Rachael would look great if she brought back the french twist hairstyle she had during her 2008 Nationals SP. I agree with those who said she needs to wear bold colors, like black or red or hunter green, to give her a more powerful appearance.

Last edited:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I wish the best for Rachael, too!!! I respect her very much in that she balances very well both education and skating. It is extremely hard to do. I can not wait to see her newly revised program!!!!

I'm all for Rachael doing well. And with Czisny, ya never know. She could dazzle the Hollywood set with all those spins. She is the greatest spinner of all time. No?

evangeline

Record Breaker
I'm all for Rachael doing well. And with Czisny, ya never know. She could dazzle the Hollywood set with all those spins. She is the greatest spinner of all time. No?

Alissa is a lovely spinner, but to me Lucinda Ruh holds the title of the greatest spinner of all time. Ah, the powers of Swiss chocolate...