Dorothy Hamill on Today | Golden Skate

Dorothy Hamill on Today

evie4me

Rinkside
Did anyone happen to see Dorothy on the Today show this morning (10/1/03) - she didn't perform, but I think she was honored last night for figure skating - anyway she was talking about the charity about paraylsis

Evie

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I caught the end of it... was surprised no one knew ahead of time

not a big fan of hers... so I didn't pay attention

I'm sorry I missed her. She was special in her day. She was and still is the definition of eduging on ice.

Young fans of American figure skating don't really know anyone before Bobek. That's understandable. It's an age thing. I am sure in 20 years from now there will be posters saying, "Yagudin was supposed to be good. I don't really see why".

Nice that she continues to support worthy causes.

Joe

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I'm sorry I missed her. She was special in her day. She was and still is the definition of eduging on ice.

Young fans of American figure skating don't really know anyone before Bobek. That's understandable. It's an age thing. I am sure in 20 years from now there will be posters saying, "Yagudin was supposed to be good. I don't really see why".

Nice that she continues to support worthy causes.

Joe

She was a wonderful skater, who will always be a favorite of mine. I wish I had known she was on this morning.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Young fans of American figure skating don't really know anyone before Bobek.

define young

I've been a fan since 1989 when I was four...

I have seen a lot of Dorothy Hamil footage... and while her skating is smooth... like Michelle Kwan I just don't get what this whole thing about them being extremely *artistic* ... it's not like the *new* fans I've met(from the 02 olys) can't understand why so many Yags fans are saying Kurt's just as great or greater when it comes to footwork... it's just I'm not interested in what I see...

Toni - You missed the point of my post. I can understand why you are not overly impressed with Hamil who skated and won medals long before you were born. That's ok and understandable.

What I was trying to say is that 25 years from now and someone at age 20 looks at the 'old' tapes of Tara, Oksana, and Sasha, they may very well say. I don't see what all the fuss was about.

In 25 years from now, quad combos for ladies as well as charlotte spins will be at a minimum in figure skating.

Joe Dimaggio was in one era; Barry Bonds in another.

Only ole Joe can feel his age.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think I missed it... I just said that I'm not saying it because of her being of "a different era" I enjoy a few of the "older" skaters skating... just not Dorothy's(or Peggy's)

No doubt people will forget why Alexei Yagudin was hot/popular... I see it already with Scott Hamilton and Kurt Browning... it's disappointing... but it depends on why a person doesn't care for the skater... is it because they have no real knowledge of them, or is it they just don't care for that skater's style?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I became interested in skating because of Dorothy Hamill. Unfortunately for at the time, my curly hair would not wedge!

I saw her skate on television several years ago, and even without jumping, she was still an incredible artist. Absolutely could not take my eyes off her.

Last edited: