Other Interesting Data to Consider at Worlds | Golden Skate

Other Interesting Data to Consider at Worlds

Other than playing the Prediction Game, what other interests will there be at the 2009 World Championships leading up to the Olympics in 2010? I can not speak for nationalities other than the US so let's hear it for all.

1. Will the US Ladies average out 13 points on the results?

2. After watching the Men, how do you feel Johnny would have fit in the results?
Also, will the US Men maintain their three entries for the Olys?

3. Are you satified with the results of the US Pairs after seeing them skate?

4. Will B/A regain their stature in Ice Dance?

The above are really unanswerable questions at this time. but should be kept in mind while watching the competitions.

skatingbc

Final Flight
is it truly only team USA that has "everything" on the line?

No, I don't think so. Team Canada has pressure to get 3 skaters in each discipline. I think this is acheivable, but with skaters like Phaneuf and Chipeur who have to acheive top 10 at least, it's not for sure!

Maybe there are just more Americans here so it makes it seem like the US is the only team that has "everything" on the line. Either that or a few Americans are making something out of nothing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Either that or a few Americans are making something out of nothing.

I think that while there may be a lot of US fans on here, most of us aren't really overly upset that the torch has been passed and we're not the only ones dominating anymore. these things go in cycles.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think that while there may be a lot of US fans on here, most of us aren't really overly upset that the torch has been passed and we're not the only ones dominating anymore. these things go in cycles.

Just in response to is it truly only team USA that has "everything" on the line?...

I just meant that there are other teams that have a lot of pressure on them. It seems to me that Americans are just more vocal about what their team needs to accomplish.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Question #3...yes, I agree. Anyone can have a great skate at Nationals, sometimes it just works. But I think Mc/B are stronger than D/B, they will get the results, just give them a little more time.

Question #4...As far as my opinion goes, D/W are stronger than B/A now, but I have no idea how the judges will view B/A. Since we haven't seen B/A since December, who knows? I'm sure they are anxious to regain their status but I just don't know how it will go for them. I'm personally pulling for D/W to maintain their momentum and go ahead of B/A permanently. But we'll have to wait and see.

lmarie086

Medalist
entire post

1. It's a bit of a stretch, but considering that Yukari Nakano (who surely would have been ahead of both Flatt and Csizny) will not be there and Sarah Meier most likely won't be in top condition, it's not as impossible as I once thought it would be. I don't think either will be top 4, but both have reasonable chances for top 10, so it could happen.

2. Well as you said, we haven't watched the Men since Worlds hasn't happened yet, and Johnny hasn't competed since Nationals. But since he has the habit of not maxing out his programs, I don't think he would have changed that much. I do think he would help to guarantee 3 spots for the US men, but I feel fairly confident that this team will do the same just fine.

3. Joesitz, you've been very hard on M/B lately it seems. They're still a very young team prone to making silly mistakes as they develop and mature. Also, Rockne has had blade troubles this season. Though I think D/B skated cleaner at Nationals, M/B seemed a lot more polished and I do think the results will come with more time (the international pairs field has gotten a lot more competitive IMO, so you can't reasonably expect to start winning and medalling immediately). But they did finish pretty close to each other at 4CC.

4. I don't know that D/W are considered the #1. Certainly they have a lot of momentum; medaling at GPF, winning Nationals as well as 4CCs. But B/A are the current Olympic silver medalists, 5 time National Champions, and 3 time World medalists among other notables. Beside that, they are making strides in improving their skating. Despite my bias for D/W I see these teams as being very close; Worlds will tell part of the story, but not all of it. As both continue to improve (as we know B/A will, but will Igor emphasize what D/W need?) I think they'll stay close. Right now it isn't quite clear because we haven't seen B/A since GPF, but they were ahead of D/W by about 2 points after the OD. It'll be interesting to see.

There are other countries with a lot on the line. Canada is looking for three spots in all disciplines (and if V/M end up withdrawing they could only have one ice dance spot). France is hoping for three spots in mens and ice dance. Russia is looking for spots, and I'm hoping that Tomas Verner skates well enough to secure a spot for Michal Brezina.

skatingbc

Final Flight
There are other countries with a lot on the line. Canada is looking for three spots in all disciplines (and if V/M end up withdrawing they could only have one ice dance spot). France is hoping for three spots in mens and ice dance. Russia is looking for spots, and I'm hoping that Tomas Verner skates well enough to secure a spot for Michal Brezina.

Canada will have at least two spots for next year. Do you really see C/P finishing below 24/26/28/whatever that total is? They were pretty close to making the GPF. I think that have a decent shot at top-10.

lmarie086

Medalist
Canada will have at least two spots for next year. Do you really see C/P finishing below 24/26/28/whatever that total is? They were pretty close to making the GPF. I think that have a decent shot at top-10.

I think they could finish top 10, at least top 12, but W/P have never finished higher than 17 (I really like them, just putting that out there), right? I do think they will have at least 2 spots. I'm just speculating don't mind me! Btw, I'm hoping they get 3 spots.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think they could finish top 10, at least top 12, but W/P have never finished higher than 17 (I really like them, just putting that out there), right? I do think they will have at least 2 spots. I'm just speculating don't mind me! Btw, I'm hoping they get 3 spots.

I'm hoping we get 3 spots too! We have too many teams to only have 2!

Fashionista

On the Ice

America was only one dominating in FS?? When?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
America was only one dominating in FS?? When?
I get the feeling that for many American fans (not necesarily on GS, of course :cool:), dominating figure skating means being the dominant country in the ladies - which the US was for many years, and more than once. Personally, that's the discipline I care the least about, but to each their own... I'm not aware of the US ever dominating more than the singles events.

IMarie - Love to read analytical replies and thank you. The two american ladies if they skate their best do have a chance to result in a thirteen. But that If is IFFY. I miss Yukari too. She has a lot of flair to her skating.

I used the name of Johnny because I didn't want it to be a prediction thread. You are correct, he just doesn't maximize his tech, but let's compare him at his best and see if we can get him on the podium. My iffy skater here, and it is a big IF, is Yannik.

M/B for me have always been the most promising US team even more than I/B. Yet they do not seem to get that music, but they have time for 2010, I'm looking for a statement by them in LA. Not predicting but I would like to see 2 really good programs by Mur/Tran'

Dance is just so unmanagebly judged, imo. All the Senior teams look great. The judges will pick their team but we will not really know why. btw. I like W/P very much. They've got rhythm. Hope they get recognized in LA.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I get the feeling that for many American fans (not necesarily on GS, of course :cool:), dominating figure skating means being the dominant country in the ladies - which the US was for many years, and more than once. Personally, that's the discipline I care the least about, but to each their own... I'm not aware of the US ever dominating more than the singles events.

actually I meant singles period... not just ladies... quite frankly ladies are the least appealing to me... but lump me in if so need be.

For me dominating is being able to get three on a world or olympic team. just going by this 'worry list' it seems neither the ladies or the men are in a good shot... our guys are hit or miss at this point... dominating, to me, is not just winning... it's just being out there and favored to place high... really only our ice dance program can say they're doing something right... by the opinions on this and other boards. Quite frankly I think our boys have it in them, as well as our ladies... whether or not the tech caller will agree with me is another story :laugh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
. Quite frankly I think our boys have it in them, as well as our ladies... whether or not the tech caller will agree with me is another story :laugh:
I would be very surprised if the US men don't get three spots for next year. I believe both Jeremy and Evan will get the results. The ladies chances, I think, are much slimmer.

I never meant you were only writing about the ladies, Toni - it's so obviously not the case. It's just that I don't get why many fans in the US - esp. the ones who tune in only for big events - think figure skating begins and ends with the girls/women. But then they're the ones missing out :).

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Maybe there are just more Americans here so it makes it seem like the US is the only team that has "everything" on the line. Either that or a few Americans are making something out of nothing.

The last time the US didn't win a ladies Olympic figure skating medal was in 1964, the Olympics after our entire figure skating team died in a plane crash. When's the last time we had less than 3 ladies spots? The same year probably? But apparently we're "making something out of nothing" by bringing it up.

Also, the US has by far the most ladies fighting for top spots, so the spots matter even more. Of course I've also personally argued why the spots don't matter much if the person in the spot can't win a medal, but that's just my opinion and it isn't the majority. One could also argue that the 3rd spot still matters because with the level of inconsistency of our skaters, the person in the 3rd spot could very well do best of the 3 at the Olympics (whatever "best" turns out to be.)

Trewyn

Medalist
The US didn't have 3 Olympic spots for Ladies in 1994; Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding went; if there had been a third spot, Michelle Kwan would have been able to go.

skatingbc

Final Flight
The last time the US didn't win a ladies Olympic figure skating medal was in 1964, the Olympics after our entire figure skating team died in a plane crash. When's the last time we had less than 3 ladies spots? The same year probably? But apparently we're "making something out of nothing" by bringing it up.

I think I didn't quite write what I meant. I just meant that there are other teams who have a lot on the line, but you only seem to hear about the US team.

Last edited: