Articles about Worlds, the event, the skaters- All the news that's fit to print | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Articles about Worlds, the event, the skaters- All the news that's fit to print

Medusa

Record Breaker

Tesla

Final Flight
Actually, I think the article makes Joubert sound mature, and he makes some very valid points.

berrycute

On the Ice
Oy, that was juicy:biggrin: I wish he'd not gone on personal level, but I guess the Canadians can't go on goody-goody forever after Joubert's so many criticisms/sarcasms. Let the drama begin!

Personal? how is what Chan said personal? Chan said he was sick of Joubert complaining when he didn't win (I'm bloody sick of it too!), what's personal about that?

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
The Ottawa article at

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/story.html?id=1419918

includes something that some other articles do not include:

"'Well, if you look at Yagudin at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics, his program wasn’t as difficult as any of ours,' said Chan, expanding the discussion to include his fellow Canadians, Vaughn Chipeur of Calgary and Vancouver’s Jeremy Ten, who stood at his side looking like a couple of uncomfortable bodyguards. Both are older than Chan."

"'Our footwork today is pretty much a program, you’re pooped after footwork. You can’t really compare it to back then. If you look at their footwork and even their spins, it’s nothing compared to what we do.'”

I believe the correct word for what Patrick did is "hubris". I agree with the author's statement: "And Chan hasn’t even won a world championship medal yet. He might want to look after that small detail this week, all things considered." I wish he had included what Chan said about Kulik, as well; he only referred to it, and I am curious.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
This article makes Joubert sound like the bitter old queen, complaining that the young pretty girl is stealing the limelight. And it makes Chan sound like the innocent pure little girl and not like the feisty brat who went for full personal attack on Joubert, trashing the abilities of masters of skating like Ilja and Alexej on the way.

How exactly did Patrick trash Yagudin and Kulik? All he said was that the footwork and spins back then do not compare to what the skaters are doing today. So what. It's the truth. Patrick did not say he was better than them or that they did not deserve their accomplishments.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Personal? how is what Chan said personal? Chan said he was sick of Joubert complaining when he didn't win (I'm bloody sick of it too!), what's personal about that?

He criticized Joubert's (multi) personality. He could've talked about bad sportsmanship without reference to that.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Rinkside in Los Angeles, part deux

Topic:

Pang and Tong work on leg strength; Chan visits the spin doctor

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090324&content_id=62796&vkey=ice_news

It's been a season of rebirth for China's Qing Pang and Jian Tong.

Many wrote off the 2006 world pair champions when they dropped to fifth place last season. But heightened off-ice training, with emphasis on increasing jumping strength, helped them defeat world champions Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy at the Grand Prix Final in December. They also captured their fourth Four Continents title, defeating world bronze medalists Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
L.A. Stories: Skater sightings, WBC and sunny skies

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090324&content_id=62813&vkey=ice_news

As your icenetwork.com diarist, I'd like to be the first to welcome you to warm, sunny L.A.!

I'm Mickey Brown, interactive media manager at U.S. Figure Skating. Some of you know me; most of you don't. Some of you may know me simply as "the guy who takes the backstage photos," and that's fine -- everyone needs a niche.

This week I'm keeping a backstage diary for icenetwork.com. I'll try to keep the tone light, mixing in observations about the skating with amusing anecdotes. Maybe I'll even have a chance encounter with a celebrity or two. (Hollywood is, after all, just up the road).

lcd

Match Penalty
M&B just can't give the judges an EXCUSES to put them down, in other words, technically clean, then we can all 'complain' about PCS, but at least keeps them in the running. If they have mistakes, then it's an uphill battle. Like they say, you can't 'win' in the short, but you can lose in the short. Good luck to them.

lcd

Match Penalty
All I am hoping for is they go out there and really do their best. Judging? Who knows. But what a tough season to get th rough. It's SHOW TIME. Hope they put a whole seasons' worth of talent out there for the World to see.:clap:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker

hongligl

Final Flight
I love the change of Tesser Virtue. She looked like a shy country girl and now she becomes a charming sensational woman with lots of fire! Love the FD too, nice!

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Kristi Yamaguchi on the ladies' short program tonight: 'Wow'

I think there are good things and not-so-good things about this scoring system. I don't think it's perfect yet. By all means the other one wasn't perfect but it served our sport for hundreds of years. It's going to take a while, I think, before this one is perfected and I don't think it's quite there yet. It's affected our sport, certainly, and the way that they compete these days.

You can argue whether it's better or worse but a lot of us old-school people are seeing that a little something might have been lost. It's hard to be wowed by a performance these days because instead of skaters developing their strengths and showing off their own strengths, their own personalities, they need to be in this cookie-cutter system to earn points.

And I think one of the things that made skating so interesting to the audience was that your favorite skater didn't necessarily have to be the champion. It could be the skater in eighth place that had the personality. It's hard to have that now because no matter who you are you have to try to do the Level 4 spin and Level 4 step sequence and the spiral sequence.

I'm sure if I had to do it I would have. I would have done anything to be competitive.

I.WILL.ALWAYS.LOVE.KRISTI. :love:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
WOW. Impressive kid! I am sure she will go to an Ivy and have a wonderful life and career after figure skating.
Thank you for the post. I LUUUUVE Rachael. I know she is going to be great next year!! I really admire her and her parents. It is much easier to just concentrate on skating and putting off academic part which many skaters do.But they know that there are much more in her life besides skating. I know Mirai and Carolin are very serious students, as well. Good luck to all of them!!!:thumbsup: