Are You Going? | Golden Skate

Are You Going?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I just bought tickets on Monday (9/29) for Nationals! I'm beyond thrilled...this will be my first real competition. Is anyone else definitely going? I think I'm in section 114 somewhere.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I'm going! Last year in Dallas was my first time at a competitive skating event- our first vacation in almost 10 years. I actually bought the tickets for my partner, who has always been a HUGE skating fan, but I got hooked on it after seeing it live. For me it's totally different than watching it on TV. Now I am so excited as the season gets started. I still get frustrated watching it on TV, but I'm hooked on this place, and checking scores, etc.

I have no idea where we are sitting- except I think we bought the "club" seats. Has anyone been to Philips Arena?

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm 2 hrs from Phillips Arena and go there for the COI tours. Anywhere is a good seat, even in the nosebleeds. I like the stadium a lot. Be prepared to get redirected through traffic if you're driving. The 1st time I ever went, they sent me out of the parking garage in a direction I didn't know. I had a hell of a time getting back to I75 to get home.

Casper

Rinkside
I'm going to be there....my first competition too. I'm so excited. I love Phillips though so I'm sure I'll be perfectly content.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Thanks Mpal and Casper. I've never been to Atlanta. I'm excited to visit a new city, but judging from first experience at nationals, I probably won't see much of it!! Last year we spent 12hrs a day at the rink!

We won't be driving- found a bed & breakfast in Inman Park (i think that's it); it's right on the metro line that runs into the arena. Glad to hear you like Philips Arena. Look forward to seeing you there, and in the meantime, tracking all the other competitions here!

Jeff

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm so excited! Just ordered my all-event ticket today ... there were still VIP seats open.

This will be my first Nationals ... I went to Worlds in DC and had an absolute ball! People have said that there's nothing like being at Nationals ... hope they're right!!!:)

R

RubyTuesday

I'm so happy to hear good things about Phillips Arena! It's rotten to spend a lot of money on a ticket and find out the arena's designed so poorly that your view stinks.

Does anybody familiar with the area have any suggestions for inexpensive restaurants in vicinity of the arena?

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
I'm so excited! Just ordered my all-event ticket today ... there were still VIP seats open.

This will be my first Nationals ... I went to Worlds in DC and had an absolute ball! People have said that there's nothing like being at Nationals ... hope they're right!!!:)

Last year was my first nationals- and first competitive skating event. It's what made me a convert! We've already ordered our tickets for Portland 2005!!

For me, there was nothing like seeing the skating live, and I love to attend practices and warm-ups. Also, we were surrounded by so many friendly people. It really made for a great time.

Look forward to seeing you in Atlanta!

sk8fanconvert

sk8m8

Final Flight
Dear Friends and fellow skate fans,

I am a native Atlantan and I am looking forward to meeting some of you if that is possible. If anyone wants to arrange a "meet and greet" please PM me and we will se what we can do.

As for Phillips arena, it is one of the great showplaces of the city. We used to have the Omni arena ( it was a hockey/basketball venue where they held concerts) They tore it down to have the site for the Phillips arena ( a concert hall where they also play hockey and basketball). It was designed for verstility and the seats really are good on all levels except the EXTREME nosebleed seats.

The acoustics are wonderful and I hope you all enjoy. I would recommmend going online to google and accessing the MARTA ( our mass transit system) and finding the train routes to the arena. The cost is 1.75 and it is clean and really safe. I would be glad to answer any questions on an individual basis, including good restaurants, etc if you just PM me. Looking forward to seeing you there....Mark (your sk8m8)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hey if I win the Michael Weiss contest I'll be there LOL does that count? ;)

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
2004 National Figure Skating Championships

That's so cool you guys are going to a competition! I have been in some, but I've never watched one live! I've only been to shows. I hope to go to a competition for sure sometime! Well, my husband & I want to go to the next Winter Olympics!:love:

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
2004 US & National Champs

Tonichelle,Thank you so much for that info! I am definately going to do that!

:)

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
getting excited

Okay, I'm getting really excited now.

We have our tickets (Section 106, Row M, seats 1 & 2). Come say hi!

We bought airline tickets nearly a year ago.

We've had our hotel booked since September (the King Keith House, a B&B in Inman Park, 2 blocks from the metro rail). I think my partner is looking forward to the jacuzzi bathtub almost as much as the skating!

I've printed out all the practice schedules (at this time in two weeks we'll be watching the championship mens free skate practice...) Who else will be there checking out the practices?

I was going to buy a guide to Atlanta, but I realized I'm hardly going to have time to see anything!! However, since I've never been there, I do want to see the Carter Center, the King Center, maybe the CNN Headquarters... Anyone have some opinions on what to see in Atlanta?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I will be there for sure. I am flying down Saturday Jan. 3rd and I am a volunteer for the first four days of Nats. I am VERY excited to go to Nats this year! Its my first ever amateur competition (I went to the Hallmark Skaters Championship last year) and I can't wait to see everything. I will be around for all the practices and events down there and hope I can meet some of you there! :D