The Top Ten Contenders (Ladies and Men) | Golden Skate

The Top Ten Contenders (Ladies and Men)

This should be the list but please change if you see others. Listen by country:

Ladies There are eleven. Feel free to eliminate one.

Joannie Rochette
Laura Lepisto
Carolina Kostner
Miki Ando
Mao Asada
Fumie Suguri
Yu Na Kim
Alena Leonova
Sara Meier
Alissa Czisny
Rachael Flatt

Determined to be in Top Ten

Cythia Phaneuf, Susana Poykio, Elena Gedevanishvili, Jenna McCorkle,

The Men There are eleven listed. Feel free to eliminate one.

Kevin v.d.Perren
Patrick Chan
Tomas Verner
Brian Joubert
Yannik Ponsero
Takahiko Kozuka
Nobunari Oda
Sergei Voronov
Jeremy Abbott
Evan Lysacek
Brandon Mroz

Fedor Andreev, Jeremy Ten, Dennis Ten, Takahiko Mura, Min Seuk Kim, Andre Lutai, Javier Fernandez, Jamal Othman,

Last edited:
For ladies, I would put "determined" Cynthia Phaneuf on the list in the place of Leonova and Meier.

For the men, I guess I would have to pick on Mroz for number 11.

Trewyn

Medalist
I think Contesti should be in the men's list, at least the 'determined' list; he seems to be on a roll this season, I think he has a really good shot to be in the top ten.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Great lists, except you can never be sure where Elene Gedevanishvili belongs.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I would move Leonova and Czisny to the determined group, but I can't think of anyone to replace them. Jenna McCorkell may want a top ten finish, but I think that's extremely unlikely. She didn't even make the LP last year.

Men - Mroz is very inlikely to be in the top ten. Add Contesti somewhere in there.

I would move Leonova and Czisny to the determined group, but I can't think of anyone to replace them. Jenna McCorkell may want a top ten finish, but I think that's extremely unlikely. She didn't even make the LP last year.

Men - Mroz is very inlikely to be in the top ten. Add Contesti somewhere in there.
My lists are not fully based on the last time one skated, and I do not agree with my lists totally.

With Leonova and Czisny I was thinking more in political terms.

I did make a faux pas with Contesti. Very sorry about that. But we have to think if Euros was a fluke or not. I hope it was the beginning of consistency.

Again overlooked Chipeur, but Fedor seems determined.

McCorkle has been openly detemined this season. At least she's motivated.

Phaneuf was so much better in 4CCs than in a long time. I just see her more as a determined skater.

You know, picking out the top ten is about as difficult to pick out as the last group of of skaters for scoring. (which of course, means the 6 did well in the SPs.)

Last edited:

pohatta

On the Ice
I'm puzzled by your assessment of Susanna Pöykiö. In her three previous worlds she placed 8th-9th-8th. Doesn't experience count for anything?

pohatta

On the Ice
It sure does, and who would you omit from that list and put Sussana in?

The most obvious choice is Leonova, and because one or two of the less experienced skaters always underperform in big competitions, I'd say one of the U.S. ladies or maybe even Lepistö is more likely to drop out of the Top 10 than Pöykiö.

In 2006 and 2007, Pöykiö was not the best Finn at Europeans but she was the best Finn at Worlds. In the 2007 Worlds LP she was the best European.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Top 10 Men, GOING to Worlds (No Particular Order) : Joubert, Chan, Abbott, Kozuka, Lysacek, Oda, Van Der Perrren, Ponsero, Contesti, Verner.:agree:

Other 10, who might surprise us : Mura, Voronov, Mroz, Chipeur, Ten D., Ten J, Wu, Berntsson, Liebers, Lutai.

Top 10 Men, NOT GOING to Worlds:no: : Takahashi, Weir, Carriere, Preaubert, Sawyer, Rippon, Brezina, Reynolds, Borodulin, Bradley.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I did notice that they had "(TBC)" next to his name. Does anyone know if that means anything?

"To be confirmed". I'm guessing he's still waiting to be granted clearance to compete, but I hope he gets it soon. Worlds is just around the corner...

top 10 men, going to worlds (no particular order) : Joubert, chan, abbott, kozuka, lysacek, oda, van der perrren, ponsero, contesti, verner.:agree:

Other 10, who might surprise us : Mura, voronov, mroz, chipeur, ten d., ten j, wu, berntsson, liebers, lutai.

Top 10 men, not going to worlds:no: : Takahashi, weir, carriere, preaubert, sawyer, rippon, brezina, reynolds, borodulin, bradley.

good post, samurai

amateur

Final Flight
:eek::eek:

I had no idea until just now, that Fedor Andreev was to be representing Azerbaijan at this Worlds; I had thought his mention on the above list, and in a few other posts here & there, was a mistake, or some kind of running joke I had missed!

Although now it looks as though he didn't get cleared in time :(

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has been rumored that Canada refused to release Andreev to skate for AZE. Seems like pettiness to me. If 27-year-old Andreev wasn't good enough to make the 2009 Canadian team (or even reasonably close to it) and hadn't skated for Canada internationally for more than 5 years, why dash his chances to skate elsewhere?

Can't help wondering if Leif Gislason dumped Morgan Matthews because Canada was never going to release him to skate for the US (as if Gislason was the real star of that team).

Last edited:

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
It has been rumored that Canada refused to release Andreev to skate for AZE. Seems like pettiness to me. If 27-year-old Andreev wasn't good enough to make the 2009 Canadian team (or even reasonably close to it) and hadn't skated for Canada internationally for more than 5 years, why dash his chances to skate elsewhere?

Yes, it seems rather mean-spirited on the Canadians' part.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
This should be the list but please change if you see others. Listen by country:

Ladies There are eleven. Feel free to eliminate one.

Joannie Rochette
Laura Lepisto
Carolina Kostner
Miki Ando
Mao Asada
Fumie Suguri
Yu Na Kim
Sara Meier
Alissa Czisny
Rachael Flatt
Eliminated Alena.

Cythia Phaneuf, Susana Poykio, Elena Gedevanishvili, Jenna McCorkle,

I would replace Phaneuf with Sara Meier. =)
The Men There are eleven listed. Feel free to eliminate one.

Kevin v.d.Perren
Patrick Chan
Tomas Verner
Brian Joubert
Yannik Ponsero
Takahiko Kozuka
Nobunari Oda
Sergei Voronov
Jeremy Abbott
Evan Lysacek
Brandon Mroz

Fedor Andreev, Jeremy Ten, Dennis Ten, Takahiko Mura, Min Seuk Kim, Andre Lutai, Javier Fernandez, Jamal Othman,

Wrlmy

Medalist
If Skate Canada didn't release Fedor, that is disgusting. They didn't assign him even a "B" event last year, so what are the grounds for this sabotaging?