Votes could put Sale, Pelletier on Canadian coin | Golden Skate

Votes could put Sale, Pelletier on Canadian coin

Antilles

Medalist
Good grief. Couldn't they have chosen non-controversial finalists? S&P weren't to blame for the mess, but I'm sure no one can think of their gold without also thinking of the circus that accompanied it.

I'd be more inclined to choose someone from a different sport, anyway. There are many sports that have gold medallists with multiple medals, showcasing great skill and accomplishment over many competitions and sometimes multiple Olympics.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I gave Clara Hughes my vote. To medal at both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games is truly outstanding!

i love to skate

Medalist
Well considering they won the first gold medal in figure skating for Canada in 42 years I think it is a great choice. Regardless if it was controversial or not it definetly was memorable! All of the moments are so awesome though, I wanted to give them all top marks! :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
i heard that the reverse side of the coin has berezhnaya and sikharudlidze. :)

LoL!
:laugh:

first time i hear they print a non dead person and athlete into coins, money etc..usually they put them in stamps!!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Last edited by a moderator:

psycho

On the Ice
I know they are getting inducted into Canada's Olympic Hall of fame on March 26 right here in Vancouver. So, it is possible they could have a commemorative coin. I see nothing wrong with this.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/story.html?id=1206671

Why? What's your problem? It's a Canadian coin, not American.....
My problem is this: I can't stand those two whiny losers, and since this is a Canadian coin, and I am Canadian, I would like to do everything I can to prevent this from happening.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Out of interest - which sports did Clara Hughes medal in?
Ant

Speed Skating and Cycling. She just won a silver medal at the Speed Skating Worlds in Vancouver in the 5000m. Hopefully she'll be back in Vancouver to defend her Olympic Gold (5000m again) from Torino!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My problem is this: I can't stand those two whiny losers, and since this is a Canadian coin, and I am Canadian, I would like to do everything I can to prevent this from happening.
Psycho, you are the best in the whole world!!! :agree: :agree: You're the second Canadian I talked to that feels the same way.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I say go for S and P on the coin....................afetr all they had to endure after SLC, they deserve it.:clap:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, after SLC they were on TV day in and day out, whining and crying, and they got lots of $$ for endorsements and starring in SOI.

They really had it SO tough!

Personally, I found them tedious and annoying after watching them complaining about ONLY winning silver on late-night TV in the US.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Yeah, after SLC they were on TV day in and day out, whining and crying, and they got lots of $$ for endorsements and starring in SOI.

Personally, I found them tedious and annoying after watching them complaining about ONLY winning silver on late-night TV in the US.

Then, turn your darn TV off.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then, turn your darn TV off.

Why should I have had to turn off my TV? I live in the US and was not expecting to see the whine and cry show night after night on TV. To me, that was NOT entertainment. At first, I felt bad for S/P even though I thought the Russians did deserve the win. But after the third or fourth US TV appearance, I was totally sick of them.

skatingbc

Final Flight

Hmm...I don't remember much whining coming from them. I thought they handled the whole incident with grace and dignity. But what do I know...