Ladies and men in the early groups | Golden Skate

Ladies and men in the early groups

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I first thought of starting a thread like "which guys in the early groups will reach the final?" But I suppose, like me, many of us don't know too much about the "morning birds".

So I like this topic better:

Tell about these early skaters....why you like them...their history...if you think they will reach the final...their future...or whatever you find intereresting for us to know.

I would appreciate to learn about skaters new to me and it would make it more interesting to watch the early groups.

I start with Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari(FIN) who was a rocket at europeans. He has never reached the final in worlds and has always been among the last in europeans. 2009 he was 14th(SP10th). His personal best is 170.88 and I hope he will make the WC final this year. His ranking is 91. He has competed in worlds since 02/03 but last season he was not qualified. Instead of giving up A-P trained even more and has improved all over. I love that fighting spirit. Good luck to him and his coach Sirkka Kaipio.

Let this thread be a tribute to the struggling, devoted and not so famous skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Possibly making the FS even though skating in the first group:

Anton KOVALEVSKI (UKR)
Ari-Pekka NUREMKARI (FIN)
Viktor PFEIFER (AUT)
Fedor ANDREEV (AZE)

Yan LIU (CHN)
Cheltzie LEE (AUS)

Once again: Javier Fernandez. And there was an Asian ladies' skater, not from Japan, that I liked, but I can't remember who it was or even where I saw her. Maybe Tina Wang? Or Melinda Wang? (or both?) Anybody have any ideas?

Alicja

On the Ice
Once again: Javier Fernandez. And there was an Asian ladies' skater, not from Japan, that I liked, but I can't remember who it was or even where I saw her. Maybe Tina Wang? Or Melinda Wang? (or both?) Anybody have any ideas?

I think you're talking about Melinda Wang from Chinese Taipei, she was in the early groups last year and ended up in 23rd place overall. She won't be going to worlds this year because she was beaten by another skater, Chaochih LIU, at 4CC. Both girls formerly competed at the national level in the States though and also were born in the US.

Javier Fernandez won't be in early groups, will he?

Wrlmy

Medalist

Tamami Ono? She's the Japanese skater representing Hong Kong.

I think you're talking about Melinda Wang from Chinese Taipei, she was in the early groups last year and ended up in 23rd place overall. She won't be going to worlds this year because she was beaten by another skater, Chaochih LIU, at 4CC. Both girls formerly competed at the national level in the States though and also were born in the US.
That could be right, thanks. I think it may have been both Tina and Melinda who favorably impressed me.

WRMLY, I don't think it was Tamami Ono because her name is completely unfamiliar to me.

Javier Fernandez won't be in early groups, will he?
Sorry, you're right. I didn't read the original post carefully.

I also agree with Nurmenkari. I enjoyed watching him in Euros - he seemed very classy. He also seems to be beloved in Finland.

Good topic and worth watching to see these "sub-par" contestants, and kinda feell good about them moving onward to 3rd and 4th groups, but that means someone or more have to move back to last group and out of the 'Cut'.

Skaters want to make the 'Cut' to show their Long Program. Can you blame them?

myinterest

Rinkside
I kinda like Pieter Liebers (Germany). He'll make the cut. Yes?
Peter Liebers is a bit of a question mark because his costumes and skates got lost on the flight. He had to have some old skates flewn in and borrowed costumes from his brother (which seem to be a bit too large for him). Still keeping my fingers crossed for him!

rosee

On the Ice
Peter Liebers is a bit of a question mark because his costumes and skates got lost on the flight. He had to have some old skates flewn in and borrowed costumes from his brother (which seem to be a bit too large for him). Still keeping my fingers crossed for him!

Yeah, I had heard about that. Really it's getting ridiculous, I don't know why nothing is done yet for this issue.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Poor him. Is his brother also figure skating?

russell30

Final Flight
It will be tough for any of the early skaters to get into the free skate, but lets hope they all skate well and earn PB's. I as sure that is what they are aiming for, anything else would be a bonus..

MagicFairy

On the Ice
Joffrey Bourdon from MONTENEGRO is off from men entries list!

This is so sad because it would be interesting to see Montenegro in ISU worlds :cry::cry:

Does anyone know why he will not compete at worlds?

Are there any changes between the early and later group?

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

How awful! Don't skaters usually handcarry their costumes though? And I'd thought more would have been done by the airlines after Langlois' highly profiled lost skates incident.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Is Cheltzie Lee from Australia in the first half? Because she's one to keep an eye out for. She doesn't have the tougher jumps, but the jumps she does have are of wonderful quality. She has spark and dynamism that is sadly missing from a lot of the ladies today. She'll make the free if she skates to her potential IMO.

Ozerova/Enbert are skating in the first group in pairs, but I don't doubt that they'll make the cut.

I think Contesti is in the early group also since he was out for so long, but he surely will make it into the FS if he keeps skating like he has been all season.