Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: New Michelle Kwan Article

  1. #1
    Tripping on the Podium Marine63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    68

    New Michelle Kwan Article

    I ran across this article this morning in the Washington Post. IMO, I think Michelle is enjoying her life too much to think about mounting a comeback. What is your opinion?

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032300682.html

  2. #2
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,102
    Earlier this month, on her fourth trip as an American Public Diplomacy Envoy for the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Kwan met with high-achieving students in Kiev, Yalta, Sevastopol, Bakhchisarai and Odessa, Ukraine. The permanent post will require another trip later this year, she said.
    Does "permanent post" mean that the Public Diplomacy Envoy program has been officially extended by the Obama administration? President Bush renewed the program for a number of months at the end of his term.

    Things I would like to ask Michelle (not that she would answer any of them ):

    1. Who did you find the more personally engaging, Democrat Bill Clinton or Republican George W. Bush? Have you met president Obama yet? (MK, along with vice president Joe Biden, did represent the Obama administration at a Special Olympics competition last month.)

    2. In your current State Department post, you are "an athlete, not a politician." As such, everybody loves you.

    If you get serious about partisan politics, you will have to take stands on controversial issues and make your opinions and convictions a matter of public record. Then half the people will hate you.

    Are you prepared for that?

    3. Which foreign dignitaries were you particularly impressed with. Or do you like meeting with children and ordinary folks better?

    4. Are you actively involved in the management of the East-West Ice Palace? Are you finding it to be a challenge in this dismal economy? Do you enjoy dealing with financial movers and shakers, like the big shots at the East-West Bank...and

    5. ...have you given any thought yet to lining up financial backing for a new ice tour? (Michelle Kwan presents the New Champions on Ice.)

    6. Michelle, as a role model for girls and young women, you are the gold standard. (OK, number 6 wasn't a question. )
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-23-2009 at 02:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    123
    As desperately as I want a Kwan comeback, I don't think it's realistic. :( It really doesn't even have anything to do with her age; I just don't see her fairing well in the CoP system. She'd have to change her style so much, and I just don't see her having enough time to do that. Plus, she seems happy with her current life.
    At yet... "some figure skating fans would hold on to hope for their favorite eligible skaters, hope that some day all their dreams will come true. If these elite skaters can dare to hold on to "the impossible dream," after-all, then so can the rest of us, right?"
    <3

  4. #4
    The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    437
    I don't think the drive to compete that Michelle demonstrated all these years has in any way diminished yet. Whatever decision she ultimately makes, I believe that her witnessing Worlds, reporting on it, viewing it, interacting with the competitors, hearing the roar of the crowd and the awarding of medals will only serve to ignite her passion to return competitively to the ice once more.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,102
    I think this is the key quote:

    Should she try to earn a spot at the Winter Games in Vancouver next year?

    The answer is not as obvious as in her teenage years. She doesn't know if she can muster the single-minded determination that drove her to five world titles.

  6. #6
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,052
    Thanks for posting, great article.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyascii View Post
    As desperately as I want a Kwan comeback, I don't think it's realistic. :( It really doesn't even have anything to do with her age; I just don't see her fairing well in the CoP system. She'd have to change her style so much, and I just don't see her having enough time to do that. Plus, she seems happy with her current life.
    At yet... "some figure skating fans would hold on to hope for their favorite eligible skaters, hope that some day all their dreams will come true. If these elite skaters can dare to hold on to "the impossible dream," after-all, then so can the rest of us, right?"
    <3
    Changed my mind. With the state of American women's figure skating right now, why not? She can beat Czisny and Nagasu, and probably Flatt. And honestly, I think as long as she gets in top 4 at nationals, she would be sent to the olympics. Can she beat Kim? Honestly probably not. But look at Joannie Rochette. Michelle Kwan is definitely capable of what Rochette did at worlds, and that got a silver medal. So....y'never know...
    I say one more go!

  8. #8
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    24
    It's just hilarious how she keeps milking the press with rumours of a "comeback" that is never, and was never, going to happen.

    I suppose what I don't understand is why people think it's either desirable or possible. When skaters' careers are pronuonced over at 21, why would a much older skater be seen as having anything like a competitive chance?

    Michelle Kwan is definitely capable of what Rochette did at worlds
    You mean ten years ago?

  9. #9
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by asparaguss View Post
    It's just hilarious how she keeps milking the press with rumours of a "comeback" that is never, and was never, going to happen.

    I suppose what I don't understand is why people think it's either desirable or possible. When skaters' careers are pronuonced over at 21, why would a much older skater be seen as having anything like a competitive chance?



    You mean ten years ago?
    You don't think Michelle can compete 5 triples?

    That article is not up to date. On the broadcast Michelle said and I am quoting here "I have all of my triples back" sounds to me like someone is training for something.

    Michelle is not milking anything. She is making money. She did a job for NBC. Answering a question is not milking anything.

  10. #10
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    from what she said during the NBC broadcast and what she said here (not what the author said) i think she is not seriously considering a comeback. I think she will always have the desire to go to the rink and skate, because she does love it so much, but if she was planing a comeback she would not have applied to grad school and she would be training more. just my 2 cents.

  11. #11
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    People do not re-learn ALL their triples if they have no intentions of at least trying to compete again.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,051
    I also doubt that MK will mount a comeback. I think, however, she doesn't want to "cap" herself while she tries to see what she is physically capable of doing -- it may be easier for her to "stretch herself" with an "anything is possible" mindset, rather than a "no matter what, ___ is impossible" mindset.

  13. #13
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    37
    When prompted by Bob Costas, after Yuna's performance, kwan offered with a laugh, 'I think I'm having second thoughts [about comeback]' which on it's face seems like nonserious network banter. But I think it was more telling than that-- maybe a little bit of the 'inner voice' coming out. She MUST know (and Cohen must know for that matter), there's no hope of gold. And probably not silver. They'd be fighting for bronze. I don't see how that could be worth it for her.

  14. #14
    bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    When prompted by Bob Costas, after Yuna's performance, kwan offered with a laugh, 'I think I'm having second thoughts [about comeback]' which on it's face seems like nonserious network banter. But I think it was more telling than that-- maybe a little bit of the 'inner voice' coming out. She MUST know (and Cohen must know for that matter), there's no hope of gold. And probably not silver. They'd be fighting for bronze. I don't see how that could be worth it for her.
    And as "everyone" knew, Irina was going to be the gold medalist in 2006. The ice is slippery, even for the great ones

  15. #15
    The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyascii View Post
    Changed my mind. With the state of American women's figure skating right now, why not? She can beat Czisny and Nagasu, and probably Flatt. And honestly, I think as long as she gets in top 4 at nationals, she would be sent to the olympics. Can she beat Kim? Honestly probably not. But look at Joannie Rochette. Michelle Kwan is definitely capable of what Rochette did at worlds, and that got a silver medal. So....y'never know...
    I say one more go!

    The way has been cleared for her invitation to 2 grand prix events it appears!

    2009 -2010 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Announcement

    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1403

    Qualifications of the skaters: Section 2 - Designation of the Skaters: 2.2 Invited Skaters/Couples

    Paragraph (e.)

    Skaters/couples, seeded in any previous year (place 1 to 6 in the respective World Championships), and who due to injury or no fault of their own, were forced to sit out competitive season(s) could be considered for selection for up to 2 assignments, if they return to competitive skating.
    Bring on Michelle and Sasha and let them attempt to qualify for the next Olympic team.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •