Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: New Michelle Kwan Article

  1. #16
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    Bring on Michelle and Sasha and let them attempt to qualify for the next Olympic team.
    and who due to injury or no fault of their own, were forced to sit out competitive season(s)
    What health problem did Sasha have that made her sit out the last seasons but allowed her to make loads of cash touring, doing some acting etc.?

    I think this rule was more or less instated for one specific case: Daisuke Takahashi.

  2. #17
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,834
    [QUOTE=asparaguss;386725]It's just hilarious how she keeps milking the press with rumours of a "comeback" that is never, and was never, going to happen.

    I suppose what I don't understand is why people think it's either desirable or possible. When skaters' careers are pronuonced over at 21, why would a much older skater be seen as having anything like a competitive chance?



    You mean ten years ago?[/QUOTE]

    I should know better by now but this is just funny...

    are you seriously, serious?

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    What health problem did Sasha have that made her sit out the last seasons but allowed her to make loads of cash touring, doing some acting etc.?

    I think this rule was more or less instated for one specific case: Daisuke Takahashi.
    Well it may have been instated for one case - or more than one - but as I read it, it would surely apply to Michelle.

  4. #19
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TripletA View Post
    You don't think Michelle can compete 5 triples?

    That article is not up to date. On the broadcast Michelle said and I am quoting here "I have all of my triples back"
    I'm sorry, where was this recent competition where Michelle completed 5 triples? What's that? Oh, Michelle only said she has her triples back.

    Well, that's all the proof I need. Heck, they should just give her the gold medal, if she says her skating is at that level.

    Okay, there wasn't a competition. Fine. So where was the video footage of Michelle at the rink completing 5 triples? There isn't any?

    I'm sure Meissner, etc. can occasionally complete each of the 5 triples if she keeps trying in a pressure-free practice rink. That doesn't mean she can do all 5 consistently in a single program. At a competition.

    But hey, if Michelle says she can do all this, that's just peachy. It means she can forever keep up the illusion for her worshippers that she could just sweep in and get a gold any old time she wants, and never actually prove anything on the ice.

    It's a bit like how Queen Elizabeth I's portrait painters always painted their subject as 16ish and young, no matter how old and haggard she grew in real life.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by asparaguss View Post
    I'm sorry, where was this recent competition where Michelle completed 5 triples? What's that? Oh, Michelle only said she has her triples back.

    Well, that's all the proof I need. Heck, they should just give her the gold medal, if she says her skating is at that level.

    Okay, there wasn't a competition. Fine. So where was the video footage of Michelle at the rink completing 5 triples? There isn't any?

    I'm sure Meissner, etc. can occasionally complete each of the 5 triples if she keeps trying in a pressure-free practice rink. That doesn't mean she can do all 5 consistently in a single program. At a competition.

    But hey, if Michelle says she can do all this, that's just peachy. It means she can forever keep up the illusion for her worshippers that she could just sweep in and get a gold any old time she wants, and never actually prove anything on the ice.

    It's a bit like how Queen Elizabeth I's portrait painters always painted their subject as 16ish and young, no matter how old and haggard she grew in real life.
    Yeah right - evil one that she is.

  6. #21
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,963
    Quote Originally Posted by asparaguss View Post
    I'm sorry, where was this recent competition where Michelle completed 5 triples? What's that? Oh, Michelle only said she has her triples back.
    If you want to know what Michelle actually said, you can download the clip here and judge for yourself.

    http://www.sendspace.com/file/fu9brq

    Michelle says that she has been training off-ice and also doing some on-ice training, which she is taking very seriously. About triple jumps, she says, "I have got my triples out."

    She says that as of now she is training to "get into shape," and will not make any decision about returning to skating until later.

    What I interpret this to mean is that she has taken her triples out of the clothes closet, dusted them off, and is now trying them on to see if they still fit or not.

    It's a bit like how Queen Elizabeth I's portrait painters always painted their subject as 16ish and young, no matter how old and haggard she grew in real life.
    Actually, I think there were a couple of portrait painters who did depict the Queen as old and decrepid. Sadly, their work has not survived, but their severed heads can be found buried under the floor at Westminster Abby.

    Just a warning to anyone who bad-mouths The Kween!
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-31-2009 at 05:06 PM.

  7. #22
    Custom Title kittyjake5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

    Actually, I think there were a couple of portrait painters who did depict the Queen as old and decrepid. Sadly, their work has not survived, but their severed heads can be found buried under the floor at Westminster Abby.

    Just a warning to anyone who bad-mouths The Kween!
    MM you are too funny.

  8. #23
    The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Just a warning to anyone who bad-mouths The Kween!
    I'll second that warning, Mathman! I'll bring my Samurai Sword, sharpened and gleaming for some head lopping!

  9. #24
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by asparaguss View Post
    I'm sorry, where was this recent competition where Michelle completed 5 triples? What's that? Oh, Michelle only said she has her triples back.

    Well, that's all the proof I need. Heck, they should just give her the gold medal, if she says her skating is at that level.

    Okay, there wasn't a competition. Fine. So where was the video footage of Michelle at the rink completing 5 triples? There isn't any?

    I'm sure Meissner, etc. can occasionally complete each of the 5 triples if she keeps trying in a pressure-free practice rink. That doesn't mean she can do all 5 consistently in a single program. At a competition.

    But hey, if Michelle says she can do all this, that's just peachy. It means she can forever keep up the illusion for her worshippers that she could just sweep in and get a gold any old time she wants, and never actually prove anything on the ice.

    It's a bit like how Queen Elizabeth I's portrait painters always painted their subject as 16ish and young, no matter how old and haggard she grew in real life.
    I never said she competed 5 triples I said it was laughable that you think she cannot ever compete that amount. If she was doing tours, shows or fluff competitions she would be doing at least 3 or 4. 5 is not a jump.

    Kwan haters will always doubt her. Some Kwan fans think she can do no wrong. People that like Michelle because she is a great skater and an even classier person such as myself have learned NEVER to count her out. Just when you think she is done she shuts you up.

  10. #25
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TripletA View Post
    If she was doing tours, shows or fluff competitions she would be doing at least 3 or 4.
    Oh, would she, now? Well, that's assuming she could even do one.

    Maybe she can, and maybe she can't, but we only have her word on that. I think it's fair for skating fans to say, "I'll believe it when I see it."

    This perpetual idea that Michelle could just come back any time she wants and be oh-so-amazing, I find that a bit of a stretch, to say the least. But it's easy to keep up that myth if you keep alluding to a comeback, but never actually do anything on the ice anymore.
    Last edited by asparaguss; 04-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.

  11. #26
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by asparaguss View Post
    Oh, would she, now? Well, that's assuming she could even do one.

    Maybe she can, and maybe she can't, but we only have her word on that. I think it's fair for skating fans to say, "I'll believe it when I see it."

    This perpetual idea that Michelle could just come back any time she wants and be oh-so-amazing, I find that a bit of a stretch, to say the least. But it's easy to keep up that myth if you keep alluding to a comeback, but never actually do anything on the ice anymore.
    What did Michelle ever do to you.lol You have a serious hatred towards someone you don't even know.

    Michelle said she has her triples back so she is obviously been on the ice.

    Michelle also did not come out and say anything. She was asked and answered the questions. You act like she held a press conference.

    This is the last I am going to say on this matter with you. Only thing worse then Kwaniacs is the anti Kwan crowd.

  12. #27
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by asparaguss View Post
    Oh, would she, now? Well, that's assuming she could even do one.

    Maybe she can, and maybe she can't, but we only have her word on that. I think it's fair for skating fans to say, "I'll believe it when I see it."

    This perpetual idea that Michelle could just come back any time she wants and be oh-so-amazing, I find that a bit of a stretch, to say the least. But it's easy to keep up that myth if you keep alluding to a comeback, but never actually do anything on the ice anymore.
    1. Do you follow her every waking movement to know what she is doing on the ice

    2. Did she ever claim to be " oh so amazing " I don't think so.

    3. I think you secretly have Michelle Kwan envy

  13. #28
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by asparaguss View Post
    Oh, would she, now? Well, that's assuming she could even do one.

    Maybe she can, and maybe she can't, but we only have her word on that. I think it's fair for skating fans to say, "I'll believe it when I see it."

    This perpetual idea that Michelle could just come back any time she wants and be oh-so-amazing, I find that a bit of a stretch, to say the least. But it's easy to keep up that myth if you keep alluding to a comeback, but never actually do anything on the ice anymore.
    There's a actually a blog that a chinese skater at the family Kwan rink wrote where she confirmed that Kwan had been landing triples on a session (from memoey toe and sal and flip but don't quote me on that!) and plenty of double axels.

    Since one of Kwan's strongest triples was the Lutz (she had two in every LP and one in every exhibition) I would expect that to come back pretty quickly if she was working on it. I seriously doubt that the loop would make a re-appearence given her surgery.
    Ant

  14. #29
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,742
    What was it Kwan said our skaters needed to do in order to be better? I know one of them was to be "consistent."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •