Practice report 3/23 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice report 3/23

iced

Spectator
Does anyone know if there is anyways of getting a practice pass, once you are at the event? I did not buy all event tickets, and now am really wishing I could attend the practices!

Tigger

Final Flight
Oda said in an interview that he gets really nervous in the competitions. I hope he brings it this time. He was excited to meet Ichiro at a restaurant this week. Actually Ichiro came to the restaurant when Miki and Oda were eating and Ichiro noticed Miki and came over and said something, I guess. I was a bit surprised Ichiro even knew who Miki was!

Considering how big skating is in Asia right now, I'm not. I'm betting in especially Japan and Korea, even if you aren't interested in Figure Skating, you know who Yu-Na, Miki and Mao are.

Kind of like it was here in Canada during the 90's w/Kurt and Elvis. I have cousins who could care less about Skating and never watch it, but they knew who those two were because they were everywhere at the time. I'm guessing it's the same thing right now in Asia w/the top Asian skaters. Their faces are everywhere.

Oh...And since I'm also a Baseball Fan, I can't imagine what must have gone through Miki and Oda's minds when Ichiro came over. Considering his heroics in the extra innings of the Final of the World Baseball Classic a few days ago, he is very big news in Japan at the moment. Deservedly so too.

That would have been some table to see gathered together at. Thanks for telling us about it. :)

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ichiro came to the restaurant when Miki and Oda were eating and Ichiro noticed Miki and came over and said something, I guess. I was a bit surprised Ichiro even knew who Miki was!
Oh, what a cute story! I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and have a soft spot for the Mariners, even if they're not very good these days. What a thrill for Miki and Nobu, especially in light of Japan's WBC championship! And very cool that skating is so popular in Japan that Ichiro knew who they were :). Are there any pictures? Or a report in English?

ks777

Record Breaker
Considering how big skating is in Asia right now, I'm not. I'm betting in especially Japan and Korea, even if you aren't interested in Figure Skating, you know who Yu-Na, Miki and Mao are.

Kind of like it was here in Canada during the 90's w/Kurt and Elvis. I have cousins who could care less about Skating and never watch it, but they knew who those two were because they were everywhere at the time. I'm guessing it's the same thing right now in Asia w/the top Asian skaters. Their faces are everywhere.

Oh...And since I'm also a Baseball Fan, I can't imagine what must have gone through Miki and Oda's minds when Ichiro came over. Considering his heroics in the extra innings of the Final of the World Baseball Classic a few days ago, he is very big news in Japan at the moment. Deservedly so too.

That would have been some table to see gathered together at. Thanks for telling us about it. :)

Miki and Oda were eating at a Pizza restaurant before the WBC finals that's when Ichiro came to the restaurant, I guess. Oda thought that Ichiro might have thought he was Miki's brother or something. Oda said he wrote a brief note and handed to Ichiro.

I just realized that Ichiro is from the same area as Miki, Mao, Midori!! No wonder he knows who Miki is. Figure skating is huge in that region.

ks777

Record Breaker
Oh, what a cute story! I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and have a soft spot for the Mariners, even if they're not very good these days. What a thrill for Miki and Nobu, especially in light of Japan's WBC championship! And very cool that skating is so popular in Japan that Ichiro knew who they were :). Are there any pictures? Or a report in English?

Actually Ichiro knew who Miki was but not sure about Oda... Oda thinks Ichiro might have thought he was her brother or a friend or something.