Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Mens SP

Custom Title
    I understand how you feel, Medusa . Here is a hug: (((((((((((Medusa)))))))))))

Careful with the chocolate--it elates, but it has caffeine, thereby increasing the jitters lol.

After reading those articles, and then seeing the starting order, it is easy to wonder. The new system in no way prevents a fix. That is too bad, because Patrick is really an enormously talented skater, and now, if he wins, some may be understandably dubious about his deserving it. PCS now can achieve what "Presentation" used to achieve. As it is said in the French saying , "the more things change, the more they stay the same". However, I do think that Patrick really does have excellent PCS; he just does not have excellent interview skills lol. Since he did state that he is working on a quad, perhaps his belligerence was largely defensive in nature.

I like the skating of several of the male competitors, but my heart is with Brian. I hope Kozuka has a really good day tomorrow, too. I find his elegance most pleasing. I also hope that things will go well for Oda. The last time I saw him, Ponsero was very convincing; I hope he can be again. I think that Jeremy Abbott has the kind of difficult, intricate program that really works well with CoP; he only has to control his nerves to do well, I think. Kevin VDP is not enchantingly graceful, but he is a true athlete, and I hope he aquits himself well. I hope also that Andrei Lutai has a good day tomorrow; he may have the goods to make the top ten, and only needs not to be nervous.

There are many others with serious talent on the list, so even the most talented will have to work hard to make the top ten. Remember, these men are skating for the number of Olympic entries the country they represent will have in 2010. That is part of what makes this Worlds so exciting. Countries with two or three competitors need for their top two entries to earn a combined placement sum of 28 or less, in order to earn two spots for the Olys; for three spots, they need a combined placement sum of 13 or less. If a country has only one competitor entered here, they need to have a placement number of not more than 10 to earn two spots for the Olys, and not more than 2 to earn three spots. Obviously, it is very hard to make the leap from one entry to three!

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I will scream if the judges make any one skater/team in any discipline out of reach from the SP points total. A skater/team shouldn't be able to win a championship only on the strength of one program. :banging:
    what if everybody else fall three times?

Custom Title
    Another hug here for you, Medusa!

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Medusa can't! It's a hopeless case. Medusa was all calm and zen-like today - till she switched on the computer and read those Chan articles. And then those starting orders. Now Medusa is all jittery, talks about herself in the third person, eats enormous amounts of Belgium chocolate and fears that her very favourite sports event of the year - the Men's Figure Skating Competition at the World Championships - is going to be spoilt by serious overscoring of a Canadian brat!
    I understand you. Here's (((hug))) for the both of us. It doesn't feel like Worlds. I'm feeling all apathetic. (It may have something to do with now when 2009 Worlds is here, 2008 is all gone, for real, and that makes me sad... Göteborg was The Event.) And yes, men's field isn't that exciting as I thought it would be. I cross my fingers that the judges keeps their heads cool... We'll see in a day. I never thought I would miss the gentlemen that's gone, as I do now...
    Bring on the chocolate!!

Banned
    Wow, Chan bashing already even before the competition has started? So I guess Chan can't win then, cause if he wins, obviously it's because of THE SLOT and he's the judges pet

I'm shocked nobody has accused of the order of skate since the judges LOVE Chan so much, probably they have something to do with the skating order

Your baseless bashing just shows how immature you are :sheesh:
    Last edited by jettasian; 03-24-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Eien.
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I will be right there with you
    Me. Seriously, I am Canadian, but I really don't like Chan after what he said to Joubert. I really hope he understands that he is oftenly overscored>_>. Chan- under 80 pls lolz.

popped axel
    3f-3t clean
    fall on triple lutzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    You baseless bashing just shows how immature you are :sheesh:
    Maybe, but you have to admit he was quite over marked at 4CC...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eevun View Post
    Maybe, but you have to admit he was quite over marked at 4CC...
    Not at all.

People should compare scores from the same competition and that's how the judges score the skaters. But to say that the judges are bias over Chan is totally baseless and ridiculous. So if Chan gets high score tomorrow, it's not because he's good, because he's over scored again. Either way, Chan's in a lose lose situation.

If people don't like someone, regardless how you try to explain it, they would not change, so it's really pointless.

Custom Title
    Yeah, those damn judges rewarding rewarding complete skaters with superior spins, footwork, skating skills and choreography and not purposely lowering scores so less capable skaters can compete.

A clean Oda will score well above 81 anyway, so whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    People should compare scores from the same competition and that's how the judges score the skaters.
    But wasn't that the point with the new system; that you got to compare more than to just a singe competition?

Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Yeah, those damn judges rewarding rewarding complete skaters with superior spins, footwork, skating skills and choreography and not purposely lowering scores so less capable skaters can compete.

A clean Oda will score well above 81 anyway, so whatever.
    Yeah, but a very clean Oda and Kozuka still scored lower than 84 points (as did Buttle for that matter), and Oda being the first of the big guns to skate, I think it's quite possible that he won't score more than 81, especially since he got only 83 with a clean performance in Japan. Chan got 89 points with a very clean program. Imagine Kozuka landing a clean Quad in the LP, that feat wouldn't mean anything if Chan got already those 5 points more in the SP.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eevun View Post
    But wasn't that the point with the new system; that you got to compare more than to just a singe competition?
    When the judges give the score, they only look at the same competition. It doesn't make sense for them to look at previous competition.

The judges will compare who skates the best at World, they don't look at 4CC or others.

But for people to look at the World's score, and 4CC scores and other scores, it will not make sense to them. And that doesn't mean so and so is over marked or under marked. If you compare all the competition's marks, it will make you go crazy cause they won't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Yeah, but a very clean Oda and Kozuka still scored lower than 84 points (as did Buttle for that matter). Chan got 89 points with a very clean program. Imagine Kozuka landing a clean Quad in the LP, that feat wouldn't mean anything if Chan got already those 5 points more in the SP.
    Well, did you take into consideration that Kozuka's head was always down, looking at his feet when he skates? If you want to compare Chan to last year's so and so, why don't you take another skater from this year's score and compare to so and so from last year. Go try and see if the marks make sense.

Anyway, arguing the 4cc mark is a lost cause.

But as you already know that Chan will be over-marked regardless...so what's the point for making argument, right?
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 03-24-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: merging... ho hum.

Custom Title
    I think a good draw for Jeremy, so skate right after the warm up. No time to 'get nervous' Warm up and GO!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    I think a good draw for Jeremy, so skate right after the warm up. No time to 'get nervous' Warm up and GO!
    Only good if you had a good warm up though.

I think Joubert is in a good position in the start order even though he and Lysacek are not in the last group. The judges have to give a considerable amount of cushion for these two. It's unlikely to place Abbott and alike above them unless they are really good at it that night. Regarding Chan, I don't know. I agree that his marks were a bit inflated. If judges keep giving inflated marks to him, it's like to encurage skaters not to skate quad jumps. If that were the inttention of the judges, men's figure skating would be doomed.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-24-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Custom Title
    I like Chan's skating very much, but I think Kozuka's basic skating skills is much more refined than Chan's. He seems to have such a soft knee and strong but quiet stroking with deep edges. However, I have not seen them in person to really evaluate, though,

Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast