Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 130

Thread: Skate America

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,892

    Skate America

    It is too soon to post?

    Anyway I just ordered my all event tickets for Skate America and I am very excited. It can't come soon enough!!!

  2. #2
    Ice Dance Obsessee lmarie086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    College.
    Posts
    1,022
    I can't make up my mind whether to go or not...I have to help pay for my dorm this year

    But if D/W and Michal Brezina and/or Adam Rippon are there, that may just be all the convincing I need

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,570
    I'm not going to Lake Placid in November. It's a long drive from the airport and once you get off the highway, much of the route goes through what is essentially wilderness. In the snow (and yes, there can be big snowstorms in November) it could be an extremely hazardous trip.

    I'd rather go to the JGP or the Ice Dance event in Lake Placid in the summer. Then it's a pleasant trip.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    I know ratings are important, but the USFSA must not, MUST NOT !!!!, put Caroline and Rachael in the same Grand Prix event. It makes no sense to have our best skaters eliminate each other.

    Same goes for the other disciplines as well. Though with the men, I'm not sure who our best are; probably Evan, Johnny and Jeremy.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,330
    Alissa will be invited for sure, as U.S. champion. They have a lot of choice for the other two.

    USFS may not place a priority on getting a lot -- or any -- of its skaters into the GP final. Plus, they are under more pressure than ever to make the event pay for itself, what with the ISU withholding funding.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,330
    PS.

    The more I think about it, the more I think the USFSA will send Alissa, Rachael and Caroline to Skate America.

    I think they will not care too much about the Grand Prix Final and instead will use the event to start turning up the hype for the presumptive U.S. Olympic team. If the whole NBC TV package of Skate America, U.S. Nationals and the Olympics fizzles, that could be the end of skating on network TV period.

    In contrast, neither the American viewing public nor the NBC executives know that the Grand Prix Final exists.

    In 1997 the US ladies at Skate America were Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, and Angela Nikodinov. In 2001 they were Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes and Sasha Cohen.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    311
    How did you buy those tickets? I just checked that skateamerica2009.com has a link to ticket website but I couldn't purchase cuz it is disabled..

    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    It is too soon to post?

    Anyway I just ordered my all event tickets for Skate America and I am very excited. It can't come soon enough!!!

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    311
    By the way I am certain that Yu-Na will be coming to Skate America :P

  9. #9
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,892
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    By the way I am certain that Yu-Na will be coming to Skate America :P
    I sure hope so!! Would love to see her skate live and be the skater stalker that I am and get a picture and autograph with her!!

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    311
    By the way, do you know when the entries will be announced? Last year, it was around May 15th, but I am not sure about this year...
    I live in San Diego and am planning to fly to Burlington, Vermont then drive to Lake Placid for 2.5 hrs..:P
    Last edited by ehdtkqorl123; 04-22-2009 at 08:22 PM.

  11. #11
    Paying the bills
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not on the ice
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    I am leaving in San Diego and am planning to fly to Burlington, Vermont then drive to Lake Placid for 2.5 hrs..:P
    Are you taking the ferry across from Burlington? That takes about an hour, so your actual drive time is closer to 2.0 hours. We go to Lake Placid every summer and usually opt to take the Charlotte to Essex ferry. It's much shorter (20 minutes) to cross the lake, half the price ($18 roundtrip) and you have less mileage to Lake Placid from Essex as opposed to Port Kent.

  12. #12
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,892
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    How did you buy those tickets? I just checked that skateamerica2009.com has a link to ticket website but I couldn't purchase cuz it is disabled..
    I have all event tickets and got them by calling the box office. Wierd thing was that they didn't come with practice session tickets. So I called back and she was like....oh they haven't done the practice schedule yet and you will probably just be able to get into the practice session with your event tickets...I thought to myself...that's different then any other event that I have been too. With no funding and apparently no clue yet...it should be very interesting!!

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    106

    How to get to Lake Placid?

    I am planning on attending SA in November. I will be flying in from Seattle so I have no idea what airport in NY state I should use and how I could get to the venue (The Olympic Center) from the airport. Can anyone who live nearby explain? It would be a great help! Thanks a lot.

  14. #14
    Paying the bills
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not on the ice
    Posts
    174
    We travel by car, so I can't offer much help with the airports, but this link might help you out http://lakeplacid.com/flash/planyour...anyourtrip.htm . Major airports include Albany NY, Montreal and Burlington VT, but any one of those will put you 2 hours away from Lake Placid.

    If you don't want to rent a car, I think one of your only options is to look at flying into Boston's Logan Airport and booking a connecting flight to Saranac Lake on Cape Air. That will put you about 15 miles from Lake Placid, which is an easy taxi ride. Just to let you know though, Cape Air has very small planes, I think they are commonly referred to as puddle jumpers.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    We travel by car, so I can't offer much help with the airports, but this link might help you out http://lakeplacid.com/flash/planyour...anyourtrip.htm . Major airports include Albany NY, Montreal and Burlington VT, but any one of those will put you 2 hours away from Lake Placid.

    If you don't want to rent a car, I think one of your only options is to look at flying into Boston's Logan Airport and booking a connecting flight to Saranac Lake on Cape Air. That will put you about 15 miles from Lake Placid, which is an easy taxi ride. Just to let you know though, Cape Air has very small planes, I think they are commonly referred to as puddle jumpers.
    Hmm... doesn't sound like it is gonna be an easy trip. Anyway, thanks a lot for your info Tammi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •