Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Skate America

We have to remember that neither the skaters nor their federations get to choose where they go. Skaters are invited by the event organizers, subject to the ISU rules.

Custom Title
    YEa.. so I think Canada will invite Joannie for sure since it's the last Grand P
    rix before Olympic.. By the way, what happens if more than two countries invite one skater, or if some kind of conflicts happen?
    Last edited by ehdtkqorl123; 04-23-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The question in my mind is not so much what fans believe, but what does the USFSA believe? In the past they have not seemed to give top priority to getting skaters into the finals.

This year they might feel that it is more important to impress their broadcasting partner NBC with the viability of continuing to cover U.S. figure skating events.
    MM - you are sounding like a company man. The boss is always right and that's how you get promoted over the more ingenious subordinates.

But you are very pro US skaters and you feel the 3 best should be at SA. Here is a hypothetical lineup for SA:

Kim, Nakano, Kostner, Meier, Zhang, Czisny, Nagasu, Phaneuf, Xu, Karadamir, Gedevanishvili, Vahamaa.

For SC: Rochette, Phaneuf, Leung, Flatt, Meisner, Poykio, Korpi, Liu, Ando, Suguri, Didier, Leonova

Who will be the gold and silver medalists in the hypothetical above listings?

I see Kim and Nakano in SA, and Rochette and Ando in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    MM - you are sounding like a company man. The boss is always right and that's how you get promoted over the more ingenious subordinates.

But you are very pro US skaters and you feel the 3 best should be at SA.
    Joe, I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't say that anyone was right or wrong, nor who I thought ought to be invited or not invited to Skate America. I raised the question of what the USFSA will decide to do.

Will they try to maximize the chances of U.S. skaters making the Grand Prix final (as Polymer Bob hopes), or will they opt instead to attract the biggest television audience for Skate America?

We will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Here is a hypothetical lineup for SA:

Kim, Nakano, Kostner, Meier, Zhang, Czisny, Nagasu, Phaneuf, Xu, Karadamir, Gedevanishvili, Vahamaa.
    Skate America must have one of Asada, Flatt, or Lepisto.

For SC: Rochette, Phaneuf, Leung, Flatt, Meisner, Poykio, Korpi, Liu, Ando, Suguri, Didier, Leonova
    Skate Canada cannot have both Rochette and Ando.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123
    Yea... so I think Canada will invite Joannie for sure since it's the last Grand Prix before Olympic.. By the way, what happens if more than two countries invite one skater, or if some kind of conflicts happen?
    I think it goes something like this. Each of the six events gets one of the top three from Worlds and one of 4-6 from Worlds. The rest are chosen from the list of high finishers at worlds and the top 75 on the ISU ratings list (something like that.)

Each federation gets first choice at their own skater. So Skate Canada gets to choose Joannie before anyone else can, and NHK I think could choose both Miki Ando in the 1-3 category and Mao Asada in the 4-6 category.

Then there is some kind of a lottery to see who gets to pick next. Skate America, for instance, might want to select Yu-na Kim but if two other events choose her first, then Kim is off the table and Skate America has to go with either Rochette or Ando.

I believe that the federations do a certain amount of bargaining -- you invite my skater and I'll invite yours.

The home country gets three skaters from their country in all.

MM - I forgot Ando did medal. So put in Suguri and Suzuki.

btw. As it stands now, I do not see any American finalists (JMO) but that can change with some hard work and discipline. Look at the possibilities:

Mao, Nakano, Ando, Suguri, Suzuki, Kim, Naya Kim, Rochette, Meier, Kostner, Leonova, Lepisto, Zhang, Flat, Nagasu, Meisner, Czisny.

Pick 6 from above and from your head, not your heart.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I don't care who is there. I will still be chasing them around to get autographs and pictures like a 10 year old at a Miley Cirus concert!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Pick 6 from above and from your head, not your heart.
    I can't do it! I want Leonova, Lepisto and Nagasu.

But seriously , a choice from my head would just be to go with the ladies who are in the top six now. I suppose that would be Kim, Asada, Ando, Rochette, Kostner (despite her set-back at Worlds), and why not Rachael for the sixth? And Caroline Z. is right up there with Rachael at the moment, so if someone falters (as is almost certain to happen), why not two American ladies in the mix?

But that's now. Come October I expect to see Leonova and Suzuki make their moves.

But that's now. Come October I expect to see Leonova and Suzuki make their moves.
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but I saw some good improvement in Na ya Kim last year. I have a feeling the Korean Fed is putting in extra time with her to begin their stable of Ladies in Korea. If all goes well, there will be more.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    For those who've been to a GP before - how many total hours of skating per day will there be? Is there usually a break between events?

I need to prepare my husband. :chorus:

I can see that too with Leonova. Remember 98 Olys: Irina finished in 8th place and in 2002 she was the big contender. I will not be surprised if Leonova makes a big statement in the GPs and is a contender for the Olys.

mmmmm....Donut spin :) Kimmie Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    For those who've been to a GP before - how many total hours of skating per day will there be? Is there usually a break between events?

I need to prepare my husband. :chorus:
    This year's SA schedule
    (there is usually 60-90 minute break between session)

Thursday, November 12
    Official Practice

Friday, November 13
    Session 1 3 p.m. Compulsory Dance
    Session 2 7 p.m. Pairs Short Program, Men's Short Program

Saturday, November 14
    Session 3 2 p.m. Original Dance, Pairs Free Skate
    Session 4 7 p.m. Ladies Short, Men's Free Skate

Sunday, November 15
    Session 5 2 p.m. Free Dance, Ladies Free Skate
    Session 6 7:30 p.m. Exhibition of Champions
    Last edited by Kimmie Fan; 05-13-2009 at 04:46 AM.

The practice sessions are usually back to back with not much of a break in between other then when the resurface the ice. They don't have the practice schedule made yet and probably won't for another few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie Fan View Post
    This year's SA schedule
    (there is usually 60-90 minute break between session)
    Thank you. I did see the schedule before I asked. I'm really trying to project the actual skating hours because of endurance and concentration issues, esp. for my husband. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

We're getting all-event tix but I've never been to a competition (except a small local one) and don't know how much time to allow for judging, zamboning, etc. Also do the second sessions each day tend to start on time or not?

I have a feeling I will have a few event tickets to give away as hubby will probably prefer to work.

They usually start on time. The part that takes time is the part that's live for television as the scores don't come up until after the commercial break! The zamboni break is no more then 15 minutes usually and sometimes shorter if they have two going at once!! (which usually makes me super excited...duelling zamboni's!!!)

Silver......there are usually a great deal of us there, sitting there all day and I tend to be really goofy and crazy so you will always have fun if I am around LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    They usually start on time. The part that takes time is the part that's live for television as the scores don't come up until after the commercial break! The zamboni break is no more then 15 minutes usually and sometimes shorter if they have two going at once!! (which usually makes me super excited...duelling zamboni's!!!)

Silver......there are usually a great deal of us there, sitting there all day and I tend to be really goofy and crazy so you will always have fun if I am around LOL!!!
    Oh, call me Spun. I totally look forward to meeting you!!

Thanks for the further detail.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast