Skate America | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skate America

jaws12345

Match Penalty
For those who bought all event ticket by calling them, here are my questions.

1. How did you purchase? Just letting then know your credit card number?
2. Practice session is included for free?
3. Can you select your seats? For individual tickets, it doesn't seem possible.
4. When will the tickets be mailed? Are they e-tickets?
5. No refunds, right?

Thanks!

1. I gave my card number over the phone.
3. Yes. They told me that the judges will be seated at section 19-21 and the skaters' entrance to the rink is around section 12. I got my seats at 18 and 12.
4. They said it will take about 2 weeks. I can choose either to have the tickets sent to me by mail or to pick them up at the venue.
5. Nope.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Didn't know that the skaters enterance to the rink is section 12. Thanks for that info!! Now I know where to stake my place out during the practice sessions.....I am such a picture and autograph stalker!!! I thinik I am sitting in sections 7 and 8 or 8 and 9 or maybe I just don't remember right now!!! I do know that I am sitting in center ice.

greengal5874

Rinkside
I'm in section 18, row 4 or 5...by the judge side..:rock: Don't think I won't make loud comments directed at them for kicks.

For those of you driving, if anyone is driving from MI by way of Canada to Lake Placid, I would like to carpool ( my car or yours, doesn't matter) just to save on some gas $ and not be bored! Long drive!

Also, I have a room booked at the Summit Hotel, its very reasonable with an indoor pool/internet/free brkfst/fridge/2 double beds in room. My sister just canceled on me.... so if you are not crazy, I wouldn't mind sharing the room to save some dough, also. Its 0.6 miles away, I hope to walk or take that trolley I keep hearing about but can't find any info online.....

Tammi

On the Ice
Also, I have a room booked at the Summit Hotel, its very reasonable with an indoor pool/internet/free brkfst/fridge/2 double beds in room. My sister just canceled on me.... so if you are not crazy, I wouldn't mind sharing the room to save some dough, also. Its 0.6 miles away, I hope to walk or take that trolley I keep hearing about but can't find any info online.....
The Summit Hotel is just around the corner from Main Street and probably about a 10-15 minute leisurely walk to the rink. The good news, if you do walk, you'll pass by a Starbucks :) .

For the trolley, you can click on this link http://lakeplacid.com/flash/planyourtrip/z-planyourtrip.htm and then you'll see another link for details about the Lake Placid XPRSS. It still has 2008 information, but I don't imagine much is going to change. I'll be in Lake Placid next month and I'll be sure to stop by and talk to them.

Final Flight
child in need!

hello everyone, masters of skating event goings, my only experience would be 2009 worlds in LA since i live 30 mins away from staples ( i volunteered) so it was easy. i just graduated HS and now off to NYC for college....taking advantage of my future new home, i hope to go watch my team delobel and schoenfelder (finally, they ditched me at worlds) and if not belbin and agosto will be there! but anyways, besides amtrak/greyhound and adirondak pine hill buses, are there any other CHEAPER bus companies?

once i get a bus, how long is the trip?....then id have to research motels.....as you can see im on a mega budget here.....or maybe i could hitch a ride? hahaha

any info/help would be nice!

thank you all.

p.s. this trip has to happen for this might be my only chance to see D/S!!!!

perhaps?

Last edited:

Tammi

On the Ice
but anyways, besides amtrak/greyhound and adirondak pine hill buses, are there any other CHEAPER bus companies?
Adirondak Trailways has a bus that leaves from Albany daily at 1:50pm. The ride is about 4 hours to Lake Placid. It's $64 roundtrip.

then id have to research motels.....as you can see im on a mega budget here.....
This is a good site to search lodgings, http://lakeplacid.com/flash/wheretostay/z-search.htm. In town, the Northwoods Inn is nothing special, but very close to the rink, right on Main Street and you can get a room for around $112 per night. Also, Art Devlins is worth looking into. A very clean motel, about a 7 minute walk to the rink and usually one of the least expensive in the areas. I know there's more motels outside of town, but if you don't have a car, I would suggest calling them and making sure they are on the trolley route.

Last edited:

Final Flight
Adirondak Trailways has a bus that leaves from Albany daily at 1:50pm. The ride is about 4 hours to Lake Placid. It's $64 roundtrip.

This is a good site to search lodgings, http://lakeplacid.com/flash/wheretostay/z-search.htm. In town, the Northwoods Inn is nothing special, but very close to the rink, right on Main Street and you can get a room for around $112 per night. Also, Art Devlins is worth looking into. A very clean motel, about a 7 minute walk to the rink and usually one of the least expensive in the areas. I know there's more motels outside of town, but if you don't have a car, I would suggest calling them and making sure they are on the trolley route.

ooo thanks tammi! but....how do i get to albany...bus......how much is that haha

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Random irrelevant thought: If Shen and Zhao win this event, they'll become the only skaters (in any discipline) to have won every single grand prix event.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It's a little bit unfair because Yagudin wasn't around to skate for Cup of China, but he didn't do NHK either (according to wikipedia).

The Zhangs HAVE won the every event but haven't won the final. Slutskaya is also a 5/6 + final winner (having not won Skate America, coincidentally).

TripletA

Rinkside
ooo thanks tammi! but....how do i get to albany...bus......how much is that haha

Check out Greyhound. I can get a bus from Boston for 60 bucks if I do it in advance of 21 days I believe and that is both ways. There doesn't seem to be a train that goes there though and I am not sure I want a 10 hour bus ride both ways.

blackdoghaus

Spectator
]For those who bought all event ticket by calling them, here are my questions.

1. How did you purchase? Just letting then know your credit card number? YES!!
2. Practice session is included for free? YES!!
3. Can you select your seats? For individual tickets, it doesn't seem possible. YES!!
4. When will the tickets be mailed? MAILED -YES!!
5. No refunds, right? Nope!

I've been to LP many times in many seasons. Best and friendliest skating town in USA. Get your tix soon and you won't regret it!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, it will be interesting to see who gets that third ladies' spot.

I would say it must be either Becky or Alexe.

Well, it will be interesting to see who gets that third ladies' spot.

I would say it must be either Becky or Alexe.

For sure if either of them does well in her first event.

Akexe Gilles has a tough road, though. She could easily come in last except for the French staters at Eric Bompard.

It would be cool if Bebe Liang jumped into the mix. :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
For sure if either of them does well in her first event.

Akexe Gilles has a tough road, though. She could easily come in last except for the French staters at Eric Bompard.

Happened to Em Hughes last year. This is her first international senior comp, is it not? In such a tough field, a placement like 8th or 9th isn't all THAT bad if you think about it...

What would Emily bring to her competitive career if she got that vacant post at SA? It would have her skip Regionals and Sectionals, and be eligible for US Nats. That's strategy, yes.... but I think she's over the hill and will waste the time of others who have something to gain.

What would Alexei or Becky (the underdogs, if anyone favors underdogs) bring to their competitive career. A chance to go out there and come back a STAR. Not saying either will podium, but it will be a step towards going into US Nats with more confidence. Very important for the potential of a future skater and not for a has-been.

I don't see Emily skating any better than the two underdogs.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I will not count anyone, and that includes Emily, out this season.

But in general, I do agree that the vacant SA spot should go to one of the other ladies that does well in her competition.

I do like the underdog story. For that reason, I will stand behind the person who I believe has the steepest hill to climb.