Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Skate America

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Me too. I really enjoy seeing skaters live that I haven't seen in person before.

I am still confused about the parking. I see the 125 space lot north of the Olympic center but this is a 7,700 seat arena???? What the heck? My motel is a mile away. I hope there is easy food unlike LA and Cleveland ...

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I am still confused about the parking. I see the 125 space lot north of the Olympic center but this is a 7,700 seat arena???? What the heck? My motel is a mile away. I hope there is easy food unlike LA and Cleveland ...
    If you drive behind the building, there is some very limited parking there. Also back there are two lots for the adjacent school, but I imagine those will be monitored closely during school hours. When we were there in August, I did notice what looked to be a parking lot going up about a 1/2 mile behind the rink. I don't know if this was for SA specifically. Is your hotel on the free shuttle route? This may be your best option.

In regards to food, I know they have a few stands inside the rink with hot dogs, pretzels and popcorn. Just past the 1980 rink lobby, there is a small cafeteria style restaurant with a half dozen tables for four. They sell grill items. There are many places on Main Street to grab a quick take out if you are short on time (Soulshine Bagel, Quizno's, Crepes, pizza shop). They are all about a 5-10 minute walk from the rink.

Hey Tammi, thanks for the info...looks like I wont starve....it looks like the Swiss Acres Inn is next to the Price Choppers which is on the trolley route, only 15 minutes TO the arena but 45 min back...the arena is only a mile and a half away from Swiss Acres and a tall lanky guy like me could walk home faster than the trolley but it wouldnt be fun in a snowstorm.....
    And the trolley operational hours could be problamatic for a skating event. Still, it might be a good thing to carry the schedule and hours of operation. Thanks! At 4 Conts in Colorado Springs no one cared if we parked in the administrative lot at the arena, but they also had a huge parking lot....Can't wait to see what the street parking signs say in Lake Placid!

Paying the bills
    Hey Tammi, thanks for the info...looks like I wont starve....it looks like the Swiss Acres Inn is next to the Price Choppers which is on the trolley route, only 15 minutes TO the arena but 45 min back...the arena is only a mile and a half away from Swiss Acres and a tall lanky guy like me could walk home faster than the trolley but it wouldnt be fun in a snowstorm.....
    That's a good area. My daughter and I had dinner one day at the Howard Johnsons and walked back to Main Street. I agree though, that if the weather is bad, that probably is not the best choice. By the way, there's an excellent italian restaurant next to Price Choppers. I'm pretty sure it's called Cafe Rustica. Food can be very expensive, but there are places to get a good deal.

At 4 Conts in Colorado Springs no one cared if we parked in the administrative lot at the arena, but they also had a huge parking lot....Can't wait to see what the street parking signs say in Lake Placid![/QUOTE]The admin lot for ORDA is behind the rink. If I had to guess, I would say there are about 60 spots and most times, it was full of ORDA vehicles. The towns municipal lot is on Main Street, that's the one that has about 125 spots and they charge a fee. Along Main Street, they have metered parking with a maximum of 2 hours. It can be confusing, because they took out the individual meters and now they have a kiosk type thing where you have to go and get a ticket, then bring it back and put it on your car. We rented a house behind the Crown Plaza and I know there were signs along those streets that limited parking to 2 hours as well. Should be very interesting.

Hey, thats good info, Tammi. I suspected as much as far as the city not allowing long term parking on the streets. I don't mind paying for parking so hopefully I do my usual routine of getting to the arena at O-dark thirty and the main lot will have spaces. If nothing else, I have the route map of the trolley and if it stops before then end of the skating on any day, I can hopefully find a cab. I have an e-mail into ORDA about their ideas about parking.
    I have been out east once before so I am prepared for the restaurant prices....I am bringing cubic dollars....after googling "Parking in Lake Placid" I can see why it isnt talked about on the various local websites.....too bad the inner village xpress route troller only runs from 10 am to 5:30 pm. I appreciate your info...by the way, the trolley map is showing another municiple lot about 1,047 ft north of the one by the arena, just west of the NBT Bank trolley stop. It is not as big as the main lot but it is an option. Chris from Spokane that has pleanty of parking
    Last edited by CoyoteChris; 10-11-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Paying the bills
    Chris from Spokane that has pleanty of parking
    Ah Spokane! You'll probably be giving out lots of advice in January

Ask and you will receive! I have talked with Toby and Barb who are the promoters and they say they learned a bunch after promoting the 2007 Nationals here. They told me that due to the elongated week, almost all the practice will be at the main arena and they are at least going to try and schedule things so there is actually time to eat. I watched fans talk with them at LA, Cleveland, and Everett about the various problems that fans encounter and I think they really listen and care. Some things they can change and some they cant but I think they will try. They know big, happy audiences (and a happy USFSA) increase everyone's bottom line as well as increasing the chance for return events. Some other cities and promoters havent seemed to learn that yet....

Custom Title
    Just heard that Takahito Mura withdrew from SA. PLEASE PLEASE, US FED SHOULD INVITE STEPHANE LAMBIEL PLZ!!!!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Just heard that Takahito Mura withdrew from SA. PLEASE PLEASE, US FED SHOULD INVITE STEPHANE LAMBIEL PLZ!!!!
    Is there any chance they can invite Patrick Chan since he withdrew from Russia's GP? Stephane would be good too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tstars View Post
    Is there any chance they can invite Patrick Chan since he withdrew from Russia's GP? Stephane would be good too.
    I'd prefer Tiger Woods.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tstars View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the top three at Worlds are not allowed to see each other, and Lysacek is at Skate America.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the top three at Worlds are not allowed to see each other, and Lysacek is at Skate America.
    Yeah, it's like the groom seeing the bride before the wedding. :birthday::boohoo:

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I am going to be live and in person at Skate America. And regardless of who is going to be skating there....I will still stalk them to get a pic and autograph! Maybe I should not say stalk....LOL

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I am going to be live and in person at Skate America. And regardless of who is going to be skating there....I will still stalk them to get a pic and autograph! Maybe I should not say stalk....LOL
    you should shimmy. i think that's what you should do.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast