Pairs' LP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Pairs' LP

missysays

On the Ice
I wonder if they'll have past US world medalists for all the disciplines bearing flowers/medals. Can you imagine the ladies' line-up? That would be kind of sad seeing Kristi, Michelle and company bearing flowers/medals without a single US lady on the podium- which is probably going to happen unless there's a miracle.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if they'll have past US world medalists for all the disciplines bearing flowers/medals. Can you imagine the ladies' line-up? That would be kind of sad seeing Kristi, Michelle and company bearing flowers/medals without a single US lady on the podium- which is probably going to happen unless there's a miracle.

I don't understand at all how that will be "sad." :confused: I expect/hope the ladies who end up on the podium will deserve their medals, regardless of their nationalities.

Last edited:

rosee

On the Ice
I don't get that pair. They look great together, they have nice moments, but I have never felt the connection. I remember them being labelled the 'next next' Sale/Pelletier... but they just don't have that spark I remember feeling when watching Jamie and David...

I feel the opposite. Never got S&P but loved D&D right from the beginning. The problem is that because they had success so early and the pressure of Vancouver, they are now closing themselves in one style and they try to imitate S&P. They S&P style doen't suit them, they are more lyrical skaters.

Tigger

Final Flight
I also love D&D, but the programs this year for whatever reason didn't really work. The exception was the LP at Cdns, but they've been off most of the season.

I was so excited when I heard they were skating to Fix You for their SP, and I'd love to get a copy of that instrumental version of it as I adore strings, but it was so...empty. Next to no choreography and they can do that, so...? I still think the idea had great potential. It just never really got off the ground for whatever reasons. :(

rosee

On the Ice
I agree. Their programs had potential but they went to the wrong direction as the season passed.
I'm starting to think that their personnal relashionship has something to do with them not skating well.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I unfortunately could not stay awake for the LP. :( But thank goodness for youtube! :biggrin: Just finished watching the top 3 programmes and saw Yukos fall, and happy to see how kind and attentive Alex is to Yuko. Nice to see. :)

figuristka

Medalist
I couldn't see any of the pairs because of the time difference and if it was on tv i missed it. Have been searching youtube but can't find any of the pairs from this world championships. Please post links if possible. thankyou

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Well, I applaud Masha & Max for not having any MAJOR mistakes, but there were quite a few sloppy places in that program and they lacked speed, which was evident without the commentators having to mention it, but they did say it anyway. I believe it was the best they've performed this program all season long though? Top 5. They should be okay with that, I think.

I was glad there was nothing majorly wrong with their performance as well. They landed everything, though not really clean. However, they were really off in presentation today. I felt that their footwork section lacked its usual energy. I still prefer their performance at Euros. On the bright side, it's going to be a new season too and Maria can get a new costume! (I actually prefer the feathery boa one to this black one she wore today.

The only other performance I watched was Denney/Barrett. It was funny, because just looking at their costumes, I knew it was going to be Spartacus. They're still unpolished but they have such solid elements and she's not even 16! I really enjoyed watching them.:yes:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have to say that Denney/Barrett are a really great team. I think that with time they will get that polish and connection that will make them a really awesome team. They show a great deal of promise!! I really enjoyed watching them last night and it being their first worlds and they skated so clean was just amazing. They should be so proud of themselves. I think that the commentator said that they train every day and that they train likes it's a competition and really that shows! McL/Brubaker on the other hand...well I won't even go there!! It was nice to see Zhang/Zhang really show some emotion and connection.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Hmm, the (former) communist countries still rule. We got Savchenko / Szolkowy, with Savchenko being from Ukraine, Szolkowy and Steuer from Eastern Germany (former Democratic Republic of Germany) and they all train in Eastern Germany.

Then we got the two Russian couples and the two Chinese couples - also former communist countries, or still communist, as in China's case.

And the Ukrainians are also former Eastern Bloc. The only thing non-Eastern-Blocy and non-postcommunist about the Top 6 is Yuko.

After those top six we have 5 Northern American couples, followed by loads of OES.

If the result wasn't this clear, this would make for a good conspiracy theory.

----

And another thing: Robin and Aliona won with 17 points more than the rest of the field - isn't that a bit much? Because they could have left out all the sbs jumps (as they more or less did last year) and still would have won this thing - theoretically. They probably wouldn't have gotten that much PCS if they botched all the sbs jumps.

Kinga

Medalist
i really think the chinese pair teams need to hire either stephane lambiel or lucinda ruh to teach them some spins, seriously

And Zagorska/Siudek to teach them positions in the lifts. Such a poor extension...

OMG, Horror of costume on Kawaguci. I do like Smirnov's outfit though.

It would not be that bad if only the design on the chest had not been horribly overdone. Any way, it was an improvement.. His shirt was very interesting.

Protocols are UP, Yuko's Quad was fully rotated.

And? For me it really does not matter whether it was underotated and ended with fall or fully rotated and a fall. It is just ugly. Period. 5 points earned for such a horrible fall. I HATE that system.

In general, except of S/S performance, other programs were kind of boring.. I will forget them at once.
M/T - their mistakes were not that huge as they used to, but they were slow, music was bleh, she looked totally pissed from the very beginning, presentation was blunt - all that does not make good impression. Actually I am surprised that they were so close with points to V/M. Ukrainians also made mistakes, but they were CLEARLY better. Lovely throws, great twist. Much better presentation.
Z/Z - they improved their presentation, but still... Only SP was great. LP, not so much.
K/S - I liked them a lot yesterday. For the first time they were smooth and precise. Today sloppy again. And a bit boring.
S/S - they stood out. And when I thought that finally they nail everything, will go clean and win the title without a single mistake, bam, Robin falls on this lovely step sequence.. Still great program, but ruined a bit because of it. But congratulations!!!!

Medusa

Record Breaker
It would not be that bad if only the design on the chest had not been horribly overdone. Any way, it was an improvement.. His shirt was very interesting.

And? For me it really does not matter whether it was underotated and ended with fall or fully rotated and a fall. It is just ugly. Period. 5 points earned for such a horrible fall.
4 points.

And his shirt totally freaked me out - was that silk, metallic silk, what colour was it exactly - greenish, blueish, silver, greyish?

I am seriously glad that I don't have to watch that LP again. I don't dislike it as much as the M/T LP, but it wasn't a good program either. Just too frantic, it basically made their weaknesses worse: they both look so young and this LP just made them look immature, with the frantic movements, the overacting. The Swan works so well for them because the music seemed to have a calming effect on them, everything flowed better...

EDIT: Oh boy, what if they decide to keep that LP?

i love to skate

Medalist
And Zagorska/Siudek to teach them positions in the lifts. Such a poor extension...

I was going to comment on that last night but forgot! In some of the Star lifts the girl's upper leg is almost horizontal to the ice when it should be close to vertical. Very poor.

Kinga

Medalist
I was going to comment on that last night but forgot! In some of the Star lifts the girl's upper leg is almost horizontal to the ice when it should be close to vertical. Very poor.

Exactly, I was talking especially about star lifts. Still, one judge managed to give +2 GOE on that one for P/T.. That is beyond me.

Buzzz

Final Flight