Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

figuristka

Medalist
The icesurfing net unfortunately sometimes freezes on me although the quality is better than the turkish one i might have to leave the turkish one open for the skaters i dont want to miss just incase.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Okay, I really think that they need to change the whole competition layout. This is a joke, what kind of skaters are skating here and the likes of Yukari Nakano, Caroline Zhang and Kiira Korpi spend the Worlds in front of a TV.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Okay, I really think that they need to change the whole competition layout. This is a joke, what kind of skaters are skating here and the likes of Yukari Nakano, Caroline Zhang and Kiira Korpi spend the Worlds in front of a TV.

I know Medusa, but competition is about diversity, giving other countries a chance to send their best to compete against the world. If the big countries like USA, Japan, etc....were able to send ALL of their best or as many they could send that qualifed through the grand prix series, you might as well rename worlds "the 5 nations tournament" or whatever, because that's all who would be there.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I know Medusa, but competition is about diversity, giving other countries a chance to send their best to compete against the world. If the big countries like USA, Japan, etc....were able to send ALL of their best or as many they could send that qualifed through the grand prix series, you might as well rename worlds "the 5 nations tournament" or whatever, because that's all who would be there.
Chuck diversity, this is a competition, not a folk festival.

And if you allow the 50 best age-eligible skaters in the World after that ISU list to skate here, you will have enough diversity left.

I know I expressed varying opinions on this topic - but seeing these skaters now, it's a bit of a scandal.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Need to crash for a while; did not get enough sleep last night. I'll just have to miss a lot. Happy viewing! :)

Snowgirl

On the Ice

That is so true. And for Men division as well.
Diversity is great, but come on, it's Worlds, not a public skating session.

enlight78

Medalist

That would be wonderful. I will actually feel the need to watch the whole competition instead of just the last 12. The men are not as bad. All of the top 24 was pretty good.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Standings so far

1 Emma HAGIEVA AZE 36.76 23.80 13.96 3.80 3.15 3.60 3.45 3.45 1.00 #7
2 Zanna PUGACA LAT 32.42 19.86 13.56 3.75 3.10 3.45 3.40 3.25 1.00 #11
3 Bianka PADAR HUN 32.10 20.58 12.52 3.45 2.90 3.05 3.25 3.00 1.00 #5
4 Lejeanne MARAIS RSA 30.92 16.96 13.96 3.65 3.25 3.65 3.50 3.40 0.00 #12
5 Maria PAPASOTIRIOU GRE 28.32 15.28 13.04 3.45 3.05 3.30 3.30 3.20 0.00 #10
6 Beatrice ROZINSKAITE LTU 28.24 16.44 12.80 3.30 2.90 3.35 3.25 3.20 1.00 #4
7 Ksenia JASTSENJSKI SRB 27.62 14.98 12.64 3.40 2.90 3.20 3.25 3.05 0.00 #9
8 Merovee EPHREM MON 25.30 13.82 12.48 3.20 2.75 3.30 3.20 3.15 1.00 #3
9 Stacy PERFETTI BRA 25.24 13.16 12.08 3.10 2.75 3.15 3.10 3.00 0.00 #8
10 Clara PETERS IRL 23.64 11.84 11.80 3.05 2.65 3.00 2.95 3.10 0.00 #1
11 Yoniko Eva WASHINGTON IND 19.68 8.88 10.80 2.65 2.35 2.85 2.80 2.85 0.00 #6
WDR Sonja MUGOSA MNE #2

Eurofan

On the Ice
Chuck diversity, this is a competition, not a folk festival.

And if you allow the 50 best age-eligible skaters in the World after that ISU list to skate here, you will have enough diversity left.

I know I expressed varying opinions on this topic - but seeing these skaters now, it's a bit of a scandal.

You're not obligated to watch, you know.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
That was heartwarming...

Gracielle Jeanne Tan - She's not going to make the final cut. However, to perform to the best of her ability in her hometown (trains in Anaheim), get a great response from the crowd, and move into (for the moment) first place. And, I am of Filipino decent - so I'm proud of her. Loved her reaction when she was done.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I used to advocate for a separate World "qualifying" competition to be held at the beginning of March. It would be open to any senior skater from any country (some sort of guidelines would have to be set up). The top 6, or 8, or 10 (whatever) entries would be able to compete at worlds. At that time it would have meant that the top six pairs would have been Soviet Union and the top 6 ladies would probably have been USA. The top 6 dance would have been Soviet Union and the top 6 men would have been mixed. Now it would be different, of course.

I have stopped advocating that idea. Why? At that time the U.S. had an under-performing (to say the least) dance program. I don't think it would have ever progressed as it has if the top 10 at Worlds were always Soviet Union. It's sorta part of the deal. If you want to go to Worlds, you better do well within your own country.

As for the low quality of skating, I don't think I would qualify it as scandalous. It has pretty much been this way for the 20 years I have been following the sport closely. It certainly takes endurance to watch, though.

Medusa

Record Breaker
You're not obligated to watch, you know.

It's not about me watching - it's about fairness.

And if you check the ISU biographies you'll find that several girls are just normal US-girls who have some ties to the country, they are skating for. Same goes for several Russian ladies who skate for one of the former Soviet countries. That doesn't really increase diversity - it just puts some girls in the competitions who normally wouldn't make it to sectionals in the US.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I for one am PROUD to see the Israeli flag fly and see a competitor represent Israel regardless of the quality or actual ties to the country they have.

Tamar's father is Israeli in case anyone is curious, and in Israel we have something called "the Law of Return" which states that ANY Jew can automatically come back to Israel and be granted citizenship.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Gracielle Jeanne Tan - She's not going to make the final cut. However, to perform to the best of her ability in her hometown (trains in Anaheim), get a great response from the crowd, and move into (for the moment) first place. And, I am of Filipino decent - so I'm proud of her. Loved her reaction when she was done.

This is why it's nice to watch everybody.

figuristka

Medalist
Gracielle was quite nice to watch.

Well perhaps to give skates like Kiira, Yukari, etc a chance could be if they set a standard for Worlds and if a country has a competitor who doesn't make that standard they could give an extra placement to someone else even if its from a country that still have 3 skaters? At this level imo at a Worlds or Olympics they should all be attempting triples.

While i appreciate the lower ladies too, ( i couldn't even do a clean single axel in the past lol) it would be nice if the ladies who just missed making it had a chance.

Trewyn

Medalist
It's not about me watching - it's about fairness.

And if you check the ISU biographies you'll find that several girls are just normal US-girls who have some ties to the country, they are skating for. Same goes for several Russian ladies who skate for one of the former Soviet countries. That doesn't really increase diversity - it just puts some girls in the competitions who normally wouldn't make it to sectionals in the US.

OMG you're right! I just clicked on a couple random names; Gracielle, Charissa, Victoria, Stacy, Maria all Americans!

Fae

Rinkside
I think it's great to see loads of different countries being represented!!

Alicja

On the Ice
I think it's great to see loads of different countries being represented!!

ITA. It's not the fault of these girls that their federations don't have any skaters born in that country to go to worlds.

Btw, I think it's totally legitimate to represent the country one's parents emigrated from, no matter where the person is living now. Just as legitimate as it would be to represent they country the immigrated to.