Michelle Kwan in the crowd at Worlds | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan in the crowd at Worlds

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I sat right next to the Kiss+Cry and the commentators booth. Let me tell you, it was the second coming when the crowd spotted Kwan in that booth.

It seems like NBC pulled her away so people would focus on the actual skaters because she was only in there for about 5 minutes and then for the rest of the time she was either gone or sitting behind all of the other commentators and not wearing a headset.

Or maybe she is just doing coverage for the females and/or being used in some other way.

Whatever the case may be...Kwan is clearly still the biggest fan favorite out there.

I sat right next to the Kiss+Cry and the commentators booth. Let me tell you, it was the second coming when the crowd spotted Kwan in that booth.

It seems like NBC pulled her away so people would focus on the actual skaters because she was only in there for about 5 minutes and then for the rest of the time she was either gone or sitting behind all of the other commentators and not wearing a headset.

Or maybe she is just doing coverage for the females and/or being used in some other way.

Whatever the case may be...Kwan is clearly still the biggest fan favorite out there.
:rock:

From everything I have read I think Michelle is dilligently doing her homework for her commentary. Yes, I think she is just doing the ladies. As far as I know it hasn't been revealed whether she will do actual play by play booth work, or just side interviews and features.

Truth and Justice said:

Thanks so much for that link. Michelle looks relaxed, comfortable, and ready to rock and roll.

Her views on the U.S. ladies were interesting. She seems to like Rachael's chances better than Alissa's.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Michelle at Worlds

Thanks for the link....really enjoyed seeing Michelle :bow:

Maureen

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

Thanks for sharing! Awesome seats by the way:rock:

MKFSfan

Medalist
My volume is not working, so if anyone could pretty please share what Michelle has had to say, especially about Rachel and Alissa, I would be so grateful!!! Doesn't have to be verbatim! :love:

My volume is not working, so if anyone could pretty please share what Michelle has had to say, especially about Rachel and Alissa, I would be so grateful!!! Doesn't have to be verbatim! :love:

The volume is pretty low. If the volume on your computer is working at all :) , turn it all the way up plus turn up the volume on the video as well.

Michelle talks about how awesome it is to be there at Worlds in her home town, how she is observing all the skaters, noting who is cautious, who is going for it, etc. Then the interviewer askes about her general impressions. Michelle says that this is the first time I have seen Yu-na Kim, Mao Asada and Rachael Flatt in person, she is impressed by their speed across the ice, etc. In other words, she included Rachael in the same group as Kim and Asada. She also had a somewhat different way of pronouncing "Yu-na," probably closer to the actual Korean.

The interviewer asked Michelle to assess the U.S. ladies' chances. Michelle said, Alissa Czisny? Rachael Flatt? Well, Rachael has had good practices and is ready to rock and roll. I was sitting with her mother and I told her how impressed I was with Rachael's skating.

The next question was similar, something about what the U.S. ladies need to do. Michelle said, if Alissa lands her jumps she'll be all right. (That's all Michelle said about Alissa in the whole interview.) Then she went on about how big a thrill it was for Rachael to be at her first worlds in her home state.

That was about half the interview. The rest was about Michelle's commentating gig and other things. The interviewer asked, would you rather be skating or commentating. At first Michelle looked like she was going to say, SKATING, but she caught herself in time and talked about how honored she was for the opportunity to work with the television staff, etc.

(Very rough paraphrase.)

Michelle's voice was beautifully modulated, I thought. I wonder if she has been taking voice lessons. I can't wait to see her tomorrow for the ladies SP.

Last edited:
Something just occurred to me. What if someone posts on GS, "I didn't like Michelle's commentating!" It will make the Joubert-Chan wars look like a Sunday school picnic. :laugh:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Something just occurred to me. What if someone posts on GS, "I didn't like Michelle's commentating!" It will make the Joubert-Chan wars look like a Sunday school picnic. :laugh:

Maybe you meant MKF? Heh.

From what I've seen in this interview, she could be really good as a secondary commentator who throws in really knowledgeable comments at certain times, but probably not yet as a main commentator. Her voice is just kind of subdued, and she didn't have the most interesting things to say, although it was still OK and she does speak well. Maybe she is afraid of being louder cause she lacks confidence in speaking? And maybe that will change with time, who knows. If Michelle can even be competent, it's worth it for the sport to have her there in some fashion. I'm sure the fan craziness and "don't you wish you were competing" would go away in a couple years.

ks777

Record Breaker

LOL!! I always wonder if Michelle spoke mainly chinese at home because sometimes she seems to struggle speaking in English.. Like Mirai Nagasu.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Simply love Michelle. I support whatever she does and whatever she stands for:love: I love how she said Yuna gasped when she saw her! Michelle's probably the only person who makes Yuna starstruck.:biggrin:
She smartly sidestepped Alissa. From what I hear, she's been having horrible practices:cry: I really don't know what happened to her. She was never consistent, but I don't think she ever had such bad practices. This is nervebreaking for me..

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The volume is pretty low. If the volume on your computer is working at all :) , turn it all the way up plus turn up the volume on the video as well.

Michelle talks about how awesome it is to be there at Worlds in her home town, how she is observing all the skaters, noting who is cautious, who is going for it, etc. Then the interviewer askes about her general impressions. Michelle says that this is the first time I have seen Yu-na Kim, Mao Asada and Rachael Flatt in person, she is impressed by their speed across the ice, etc. In other words, she included Rachael in the same group as Kim and Asada. She also had a somewhat different way of pronouncing "Yu-na," probably closer to the actual Korean.

The interviewer asked Michelle to assess the U.S. ladies' chances. Michelle said, Alissa Czisny? Rachael Flatt? Well, Rachael has had good practices and is ready to rock and roll. I was sitting with her mother and I told her how impressed I was with Rachael's skating.

The next question was similar, something about what the U.S. ladies need to do. Michelle said, if Alissa lands her jumps she'll be all right. (That's all Michelle said about Alissa in the whole interview.) Then she went on about how big a thrill it was for Rachael to be at her first worlds in her home state.

That was about half the interview. The rest was about Michelle's commentating gig and other things. The interviewer asked, would you rather be skating or commentating. At first Michelle looked like she was going to say, SKATING, but she caught herself in time and talked about how honored she was for the opportunity to work with the television staff, etc.

(Very rough paraphrase.)

Michelle's voice was beautifully modulated, I thought. I wonder if she has been taking voice lessons. I can't wait to see her tomorrow for the ladies SP.

Thanks for paraphrasing, Mathman. I didn't realize Kwan would be shown during the Ladies' SP coverage on Oxygen. I thought she would just be a part of the NBC Ladies' LP coverage. It'll be nice to see her again in front of the cameras. :love:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Thank you very much MM!!! :rock:

So, Michelle will be commentating on the SPs as well??? I thought she would only be doing so for NBC/Ladies' LP. Looking forward to that!