Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan in the crowd at Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Naomi Nari Nam was in the audince for the men's SP. They showed her on the big screen. she was adorbale, as always!
    One of my fondest figure skating moments was that year (1999) when Naomi skated such a spectacular LP after knocking herself momentarily unconscious with a fall in the SP, moving up to take the silver medal ahead of Angela Nikodinov and Sarah Hughes.

While Naomi was skating they showed Michelle backstage watching on the monitor with a worried look on her face, like , "WHOA." Then when she saw that the camera was on her, Michelle smiled and waved and tried to play it off, like, "What, me worry?"

Custom Title
    A brief glimpse of a rather forlorn-looking Caroline at a Worlds practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uOcs5a8-vI

She comes on at about 0:24 and is sitting right above Michelle, next to the girl in red. I think the man next to Michelle is her and Caroline's agent, Shep Goldberg? I've no idea who the lady is that's talking to Michelle. A poster on the MKF also reported that Michelle was sitting together with Caroline at some point.

And a brief shot of Kristi, too! Wheee!

Poor Caroline. It must suck to watch Czisny struggle with practices, and think about the way the USFSA judges judged nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Poor Caroline. It must suck to watch Czisny struggle with practices, and think about the way the USFSA judges judged nationals.
    Well, I'm not too hopeful, but perhaps Alissa will have shaken off the jitters come competition time. I detected a minute improvement in her 4CC LP, where she really didn't give up on the performance towards the end. There's no way Alissa will make the podium, but maybe home crowd advantage will yield a top 8 finish for her.

I want desperately for Alissa to do well, not only for those 3 Olympic spots (I can't imagine how crazy it will be if there are only 2), but also for herself.

Michelle was just on Entertainment Tonight, briefly, along with clips of Alissa and Joannie R. Michelle said the she had invited to be on Dancing with the Stars a couple of years ago, but could not commit the necessary time to it.

Alissa said she doesn't have a boyfriend right now because her coach says no dating during the competition season. Joannie's boyfriend is a speed skater that she met in Torino. (They didn't ask Michelle if she has a boyfriend )

Lysacek was played up as ice skating's big heartthrob, said "no comment" when they asked if he was still dating Tanith. Tanith and Ben also appeared for a couple of questions. Ben looked like a bum with his long straggly hair and chin whiskers.

Custom Title
    Michelle must have fond memories of the Staples Center. She won 2002 Nationals there with an amazing performance. Power command... everything

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uOcs5a8-vI
    Thanks for the clip. You have to look quick to see Caroline. I couldn't really tell if she was looking "forlorn" or just ordinary not-much-of-anything at that precise second.

The last part showing Kim modeling was cute, though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Interesting logic. So the majority of NBC viewers like Scott Hamilton, Sandra Besik and Tom Hammond better than Dick Button, Peggy Fleming and Terry Gannon, but the majority of ABC viewers liked Button. Fleming and Gannon better.

Participatory democracy in action!
    ??? You understand advanced physics, so I have to assume you just like to be goofy sometimes.

I never recall viewers getting a choice of what TV channel to watch. The competition is on the channel it's on. Your choice is to watch, or not to watch (and/or go on the internet.) Currently we have fallen so far as to be shifted over to OXYGEN to watch NBC skating broadcasts, similar to (but worse than) ABC broadcasts on ESPN. Well, I'm not sure it's worse actually, since at least on Oxygen skating won't get preempted by INTERNATIONAL CABER TOSSING.

...we just have to watch Steel Magnolias in between.

But I digress. Dick, Peggy & Terry were contracted to ABC, the others to NBC. I am pretty much certain that the ABC's loss of skating was due to a combination of a lack of superstars like Michelle & Sasha, the obfuscated scoring system, and the lack of any other "ice drama" like Nancy & Tonya making headlines. I really don't think you could blame Dick, Peggy & Terry for skating no longer being on ABC. It's just how it went.

All 6 of them have been around for a while, and have established themselves as known and generally liked personalities of skating commentary. If any of them were poor at their job or not liked by the majority, they'd have been out long ago. If Michelle or any other new commentator turns out to be uninteresting, it won't matter if they are accurate, I think they will be gone as well. Michelle would get a lot more chances to fail though since she is such a legend.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Thanks for the clip. You have to look quick to see Caroline. I couldn't really tell if she was looking "forlorn" or just ordinary not-much-of-anything at that precise second.

The last part showing Kim modeling was cute, though.
    Caroline just looked really exhausted to me, like she had been watching the skaters for hours.

I am starting to love Yu-Na! I am so rooting for her to win...or at the least Silver to Mao! Actually, unless the podium contains Yu-Na, Mao and Joannie I won't be happy...well, if a US Lady can land on a step...
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 03-26-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Down With It
    Houston featuring Clyde the Glide Drexler and future NBA MVP Akeem Olajuwon!
    As a former follower of the Rockets I must correct you: the name is Hakeem Olajuwon. Nigerian, I believe.

Down With It
    P.S.: I think Michelle would be a better commentator than Sasha.
    Gotta agree with that one. We'll see what she has to say on Saturday but I'm not completely blown away by what she has to say so far in interviews, etc. I mean, heck, I could have gotten up there and said those things, but because she's Michelle Kwan, you know...

As for Cohen, the voice alone is enough to rule her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    ...heck, I could have gotten up there and said those things, but because she's Michelle Kwan, you know...
    Interviewer: So, Red Dog, what do you think Rachael needs to do to be a factor at worlds?

RD: She should just try to skate her best.

Interviewer. Well, that was a nothing answer, why am I wasting my time talking to you. Oh, look, there's Michelle Kwan!

Interviewer: So, Michelle, what do you think Rachael needs to do to be a factor at worlds?

MK: She should just try to skate her best.

Interviewer: Oh Michelle, where will we find a big enough bowl to catch all the pearls of wisdom that drop from your lips?
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-28-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Down With It
    ^ Precisely. (and would that interviewer be you by any chance? The last line gives it away. )

Here's how I actually would have answered it: She needs to stay on her feet and hit her elements. Avoiding unnecessary mistakes is crucial in the SP. She also needs to reach out to the audience more. She's been criticized by many for being boring and that definitely doesn't help her reach the top tier. (Kwan wouldn't dare say that last sentence!! )

Besides, it's only her first worlds. I can't expect a whole lot of out her. I'm just bummed about Alyssa. Not shocked or anything (I expected the fall on the second jump but not on the 2a!! she totally crumbled under the pressure of the "three spots thing"), but still. She'd better be thinking about skating the FS with total abandon because that's the ONLY way she could possibly make up any ground.
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-28-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Custom Title
    Her comments have a sense of over-achievement for the two American ladies. Not surprisingly, with all that she has achieved herself.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast