Olympic Qualifiers? | Golden Skate

Olympic Qualifiers?

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I'm a little confused as to the rules about how many countries have qualified how many berths. I know that up to a certain amount of berths could be distributed here at Worlds; the rest are reserved for the Nebelhorn Trophy, but I'm not sure if anyone outside the top twelve qualified anything. Does anyone know whether it's top twelve only or they keep going until they hit the magic number:

If they keep going, I believe the pairs berths stand thus:

1. GER
2. GER
3. CHN
4. CHN
5. CHN
6. RUS
7. RUS
8. RUS
9. UKR
10. UKR
11. CAN
12. CAN
13. USA
14. USA
15. FRA
16. GBR

If it's only the top twelve, Britain doesn't qualify, and five spots will be handed out at Nebelhorn.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm not sure - it depends on how many places are up for grabs at Nebelhorn.

I would guess that the 16 listed in your post all qualify (Kemp & King have been notified that they have qualified both a place through worlds and passed the BOC rules too). Then another 4 places are up for grabs at Nebelhorn. Presumably National federations have to notify the ISU if they will field the full number of allocated spots at some point to allow skaters further down (like Switzerland and Estonia) if they get bumped up the list?

Ant

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Presumably National federations have to notify the ISU if they will field the full number of allocated spots at some point to allow skaters further down (like Switzerland and Estonia) if they get bumped up the list?

Ant

Actually, one thing I do know is you can't get bumped up with Worlds placement; it's the first 16 spots qualified and that's it. If any of the federations decide not to use the spots, they too are given away at Nebelhorn. Though if the BOC have given the green light(they can be very strict sometimes, so I was worried about that) then the only spot here that's at all iffy is the second Ukraine spot, and the Ukraine doesn't seem to mind sending low-ranked teams; they sent one in the ice dance in 2006. Though I don't think Vanessa James has French citizenship, so she and Bonheur can't use the spot they earned, but I think it likely Canac and Coia will get to go instead.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Actually, one thing I do know is you can't get bumped up with Worlds placement; it's the first 16 spots qualified and that's it. If any of the federations decide not to use the spots, they too are given away at Nebelhorn. Though if the BOC have given the green light(they can be very strict sometimes, so I was worried about that) then the only spot here that's at all iffy is the second Ukraine spot, and the Ukraine doesn't seem to mind sending low-ranked teams; they sent one in the ice dance in 2006. Though I don't think Vanessa James has French citizenship, so she and Bonheur can't use the spot they earned, but I think it likely Canac and Coia will get to go instead.

Yes from memory they said that the BOC standard is no longer top half of the draw at worlds (like it was when Marika and Vitaly had to work hard to coinvince the BOC to let them go despite their 16th place finish) rather:

Singles - 24 or above
Pairs - 16 or above (Kemp and King clearly through)
Dance - 19 or above.

EDIT - I think the BOC standard has been dropped more or less to - if you qualify a spot you get to go because the men e.g. will get a chance to go to the Olympics if they finish in the top 5 at Nebelhorn.

Ant

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Dance Qualifiers

Someone else already calculated the men's spots; the information is available on IceNetwork.

1. RUS
2. RUS
3. RUS
4. USA
5. USA
6. USA
7. CAN
8. CAN
9. FRA
10. FRA
11. GBR
12. GBR
13. ITA
14. ITA
15. ISR
16. LTU
17. UKR
18. JPN
19. GER

I suspect, however, Britain won't use their second spot, and I'm not sure Lithuania has an eligible team(or could Copely grab citizenship? Anyone have any idea?), so that could be as many as seven spots handed out at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Ladies Qualifiers

1. KOR
2. KOR
3. CAN
4. CAN
5. JPN
6. JPN
7. JPN
8. USA
9. USA
10. FIN
11. FIN
12. RUS
13. RUS
14. SUI
15. SUI
16. GEO
17. GEO
18. ITA
19. SVK
20. EST
21. GER
22. POL
23. GBR
24. TUR

Not certain, however, that Switzerland will care to send a second skater, or if Georgia even has one to send...possibly as many as eight spots initially given at the Nebelhorn Trophy, and since Germany refused to send Dytrt after she failed to make top eight at Europeans in 2006, the first alternate from there should also keep herself prepared.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Someone else already calculated the men's spots; the information is available on IceNetwork.

1. RUS
2. RUS
3. RUS
4. USA
5. USA
6. USA
7. CAN
8. CAN
9. FRA
10. FRA
11. GBR
12. GBR
13. ITA
14. ITA
15. ISR
16. LTU
17. UKR
18. JPN
19. GER

I suspect, however, Britain won't use their second spot, and I'm not sure Lithuania has an eligible team(or could Copely grab citizenship? Anyone have any idea?), so that could be as many as seven spots handed out at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

Apparently the BOC are allowing a couple who don't meet the criteria by coming in 19 or above at worlds to achieve the score of the 19th place finishers at worlds at teh British Championships and they will be sent.

Given that the judges were corrupt enough to mark T-G&P as they did at this year's championships i have no doubt they'll get teh necessary marks next year.

Ant

eleonora.d

On the Ice
1. KOR
2. KOR
3. CAN
4. CAN
5. JPN
6. JPN
7. JPN
8. USA
9. USA
10. FIN
11. FIN
12. RUS
13. RUS
14. SUI
15. SUI
16. GEO
17. GEO
18. ITA
19. SVK
20. EST
21. GER
22. POL
23. GBR
24. TUR

Not certain, however, that Switzerland will care to send a second skater, or if Georgia even has one to send...possibly as many as eight spots initially given at the Nebelhorn Trophy, and since Germany refused to send Dytrt after she failed to make top eight at Europeans in 2006, the first alternate from there should also keep herself prepared.

One spot only for Italy and 2 spots for Georgia which doesn't have any skater besides Elene is the real paradox. I'm so sad for Marchei...:no:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Wait so 7 spots to be handed out for the men at Nelbourn, that makes the odds VERY good in Fedor Andreev's favor!!!

life684

Final Flight

BOA should stop deciding who has the best chance to medal etc, they should sent all the qualified athletes to the games, you never know what a competition and experience gathered from a competition can do to your confidence. I hope they would have learned this from their past mistakes, and stop playing almighty.

As far qualifiers are concerned, i am surprised that russian had the best results, qualifying 16 athletes an 10 teams (who would have thought that result was possible in 2007). US also managed to qualify 10 teams, but 15 athletes.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wait so 7 spots to be handed out for the men at Nelbourn, that makes the odds VERY good in Fedor Andreev's favor!!!

Actually, there are 6 free berths for the guys.

1. JPN
2. JPN
3. JPN
4. USA
5. USA
6. USA
7. CAN
8. CAN
9. CZE
10. CZE
11. FRA
12. FRA
13. ITA
14. ITA
15. KAZ
16. KAZ
17. RUS
18. RUS
19. BEL
20. ESP
21. POL
22. SLO
23. SWE
24. UKR

Btw, cloudkicker09, you should consider updating your signature. ;)

Last edited:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Btw, cloudkicker09, you should consider updating your signature. ;)

Yeah I know ;)

I am trying to figure out what to say, give me a hand will ya?

STILL 6 olympic breaths up for grabs that is still GOOD and IN FEDOR's favor right I mean its a good thing?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Any idea who KAZ could send, apart from Denis Ten?

Abzal Rakimgaliev obviously... he finished 14th at this year's 4CC and made the cut for the LP at last year's worlds. He's only sixteen years old and is not as impressive as Ten but has a lot of talent. Unless KAZ has a really picky Olympic comitee I can definetly see him being sent.:thumbsup:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Abzal Rakimgaliev obviously... he finished 14th at this year's 4CC and made the cut for the LP at last year's worlds. He's only sixteen years old and is not as impressive as Ten but has a lot of talent. Unless KAZ has a really picky Olympic comitee I can definetly see him being sent.:thumbsup:
He definitely has talent too, and a completely different style from Ten. I think he did a 3A at 4CC. So I don't think he would completely embarrass himself.

I am also happy for Brezina, During Verner's freeskate I was imagining Brezina, how he probably realised with every jump Verner rotated and landed - that the Olympics will become reality for him.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am also happy for Brezina, During Verner's freeskate I was imagining Brezina, how he probably realised with every jump Verner rotated and landed - that the Olympics will become reality for him.

I know! I am so happy for both of them too! :love: I'd love to see a Czech man on the podium at the Olympics. :bow:

Eevun

Final Flight
Actually, there are 6 free berths for the guys.

1. JPN
2. JPN
3. JPN
4. USA
5. USA
6. USA
7. CAN
8. CAN
9. CZE
10. CZE
11. FRA
12. FRA
13. ITA
14. ITA
15. KAZ
16. KAZ
17. RUS
18. RUS
19. BEL
20. ESP
21. POL
22. SVK
23. SWE
24. UKR
And it's not even certain that Sweden will use that spot *mumbles about to high requirements* The Swedish Olympic Committee wont send a skater (Adrian/Kristoffer/Alexander) unless he hasn't a possibility of end top 8... How do they think?!? It wasn't a good Worlds for Sweden, but not a bad either. The best placement we've got at Worlds was Koffe's 9th in Tokyo two years ago. 8th at Oly... Why don't they require a medal when they're already on it...? *mumbles a little bit more*

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am astounded that Sweden won't send a man to the Olympics unless he can finish in the top 8. Schultheiss and Berntsson finished 13th and 14th in 2008, and both skated very well. Neither man had a good Worlds in 2009 (18th and 20th).

Even based on the 2008 results, to expect a top 8 finish is ridiculous.

Eevun

Final Flight
It really is... Ok, I understand, they spend a lot of money of sending someone to the Olympics, but at least they can have fair goals! We'll see what happens, the show will go on. I'll keep you updated.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah I know ;)
STILL 6 olympic breaths up for grabs that is still GOOD and IN FEDOR's favor right I mean its a good thing?

I'm not sure. I haven't followed figure skating long enough to know these things. Does anyone know if 6 spots give Andreev a decent chance to qualify for the Olympics?

And it's not even certain that Sweden will use that spot *mumbles about to high requirements* The Swedish Olympic Committee wont send a skater (Adrian/Kristoffer/Alexander) unless he hasn't a possibility of end top 8... How do they think?!? It wasn't a good Worlds for Sweden, but not a bad either. The best placement we've got at Worlds was Koffe's 9th in Tokyo two years ago. 8th at Oly... Why don't they require a medal when they're already on it...? *mumbles a little bit more*

WHAT??? :eek: :mad: Is this a new rule? They did send Koffe to the 2006 Olympics, and I'm pretty sure they didn't consider him to be a Top 8 finisher in those days.