Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Youngest Winners?

Banned

Youngest Winners?

Does anyone have a record who are the youngest winners and their age?

Custom Title
    I think Tara Lipinski was 14 when she won Worlds and Alexei 17 or just turned 18 his first worlds...

Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I think Tara Lipinski was 14 when she won Worlds
    That's unbeatable nowadays, right, since they rose the age limit?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eevun View Post
    That's unbeatable nowadays, right, since they rose the age limit?
    yep, she'll always have that record.

I think Tara was also the youngest to ever win the Olympics, correct? If I'm not mistaken both she and Sonja Henie were 15 but Tara was younger by a few weeks?

Alexei Yagudin's birthday is in March 1980, and he won his first Worlds in March 1998, IIRC. Plushy's birthday is in November 1982, and he won 2001 Worlds. So both were 18. I'm pretty sure there was someone younger in the men's, but can't really remember who.

Rinkside
    Yep, Tara Lipinski was the youngest woman to win the Olympics and they have since raised the age limit.

Custom Title
    According to the commentators if Patrick had won, he would have been the youngest man.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    According to the commentators if Patrick had won, he would have been the youngest man.
    The youngest Canadian man, maybe. Yagudin turned 18 about two weeks before he won Worlds the first time, so he was certainly younger than Chan is right now. One must always take over-excited commentators with a grain of salt. Possibly even a grain of kosher salt .

Not that this is so important - what really matters is what a skater does throughout a career, not how old he or she were when they first won.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Alexei Yagudin's birthday is in March 1980, and he won his first Worlds in March 1998, IIRC. Plushy's birthday is in November 1982, and he won 2001 Worlds. So both were 18. I'm pretty sure there was someone younger in the men's, but can't really remember who.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The youngest Canadian man, maybe. Yagudin turned 18 about two weeks before he won Worlds the first time, so he was certainly younger than Chan is right now. One must always take over-excited commentators with a grain of salt.
    There was one person who was a few days younger than Yagudin was when he won the men's title, and in fact that person was Canadian: Donald McPherson in 1963.

Therefore, the commentary that Chan would have been youngest was just wrong.

Custom Title
    I think the youngest man to win worlds was Donald Macpherson of Canada in 1963. He was the year after Donald Jackson.

Custom Title
    I think Denis Ten will break that record in two years, unless he has a huge growth spurt and develops breasts and hips. That puberty monster is cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    I think Denis Ten will break that record in two years, unless he has a huge growth spurt and develops breasts and hips. That puberty monster is cruel.
    Actually, Plushenko, who had about the same skills as Ten at that age, had quite a growth spurt at 16/17 I think and also had a season that was quite difficult for him. The whole thing still ended with 3 World Championships, 5 European titles and Olympic gold - so if it happens to Ten, the future will still be bright.

Custom Title
    Yeah Medusa I was only half joking as it is a concern. But the kid does have such good basics that I think he could survive and thrive the way Plushenko did.

Eien.
    Did everyone forget Kimmie Meisnner?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast