Thread: Article about reinstating Qualifying Rounds

Hybrid View

Tripping on the Podium

Article about reinstating Qualifying Rounds

My first reaction was "Boo!", but maybe he has a point...
    "If the standard of skating is so poor, the ISU should change. ... This is a championship, not a festival,"

I believe that certain skaters should have to pass by a qualifying round, not all of them though. Maybe there should be some system in which there should be minimal requirements, either a score obtained during a season, or a place obtained something like that. But I don't belive that the top 15 skaters should have to go though QR, it just makes them use too mush energy for such an insignificant part of the competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I believe that certain skaters should have to pass by a qualifying round, not all of them though. Maybe there should be some system in which there should be minimal requirements, either a score obtained during a season, or a place obtained something like that. But I don't belive that the top 15 skaters should have to go though QR, it just makes them use too mush energy for such an insignificant part of the competition.
    I agree with you. Maybe they should look at Grand Prix results from earlier in the season and World Champs results from the previous year to determine who can bypass the Qualifying Rounds. I think this would make it easier on the judges too. No more sitting through 8 hours of short programs!

Custom Title
    I think they should do it according to ranking. I think the top 24 skaters, who presumably could normally make it to the free skate (or maybe 20 with a few wild cards as they do in tennis) be automatic entries and the others, say in this recent case of Worlds, the remaining 30 skaters, have to do their short programs in a qualifying round with the top 12 of those making it to the general competition short program. The scores of this qual round would of course not carry over.

It is nice to have international representation but many of the skaters live in the US and are probably US citizens so it's not in fact totally representative of an international pool. I mean the young lady representing India could only hop around and land on two feet. If there were such a thing as a Worlds novice comp she wouldn't even make it past the short program there. I do not think that every skater should have to do all three rounds if they bring back the q round.

Rinkside
    Having sat through an entire week at Staples as a volunteer I have a divided opinion. I worked in costume repair and got to meet skaters from all skill levels as their various "wardrobe malfunctions" were attended to. Some medaled and some didn't even get into the final run. I felt very uncomfortable watching the huge gap between the high skilled competitors and those with lesser abilities. However the skaters from places that only have one ice surface in the entire country have no illusions regarding the outcome. They were universally proud to be at the event and willing to accept their spot in the first warmup. The spirit of this sport is so much more important than tv coverage and commercials. It's alive and well on the ground... er....ice. I was privileged to repair their shabby stuff because they wore it with such esteem. They also received great enthusiasm from a gracious SoCal audience. I hope they carry their love of skating throughout their lives and practical careers.