So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

dannyascii

On the Ice
O Patrick...:rofl:
Well, I'll admit, it is nice to see someone actually say what they're thinking, especially when everyone nowadays wants to be so PC. My man Pat Chan just needs to...filter his thoughts a little bit. Otherwise, he may say something that he'll regret.
When you get past the initial shock factor of what he's saying though, he does bring up some valid points. When you compare the breakdowns of the PCS's of both, it leaves you wondering where'd those points for Joubert come from...

screech

Final Flight
For last night, in ranking the top 3's PCS (not points, but if I were 'ranking' them), I would have had

Transitions
1. Chan
2. Lysacek
3. Joubert

Choreography
1. Chan
2. Lysacek
3. Joubert

Skating Skills
1. Chan or Joubert
3. Lysacek

Interpretation
1. Lysacek
2. Chan
3. Joubert

Performance/Execution
1. Lysacek or Joubert
3. Chan

Just my opinion though.

Well, I'll admit, it is nice to see someone actually say what they're thinking, especially when everyone nowadays wants to be so PC.

"Saying what you think" is the new PC. Everyone is doing it these days. Just check out the Internet. (Kind of boring if you ask me.) :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
There is a huge difference between what Brian did last year and what Patrick is saying.
Yes, there is. Brian criticized the lack of a quad in Jeff's programs, and said he thinks top skaters should do quads. His timing was awful, but it was a legitimate point about the IJS in general, he said it publicly, where Buttle could respond, and he said nothing specific about Jeff or his programs beyond that, and complimented his skating several times. Jeffrey Buttle, a class act, responded with tact and grace, and that should have been that.

Except Patrick Chan apparently sees himself as the arbiter of what's good and bad in figure skating. He trashed Joubert's skating - ok, fair game, but he did it in a nasty manner and behind Brian's back; and he made very mean-spirited comments about Brian's personality. He then turned and pretended they were friends and all was well - and went right back to trashing Joubert after the event. Much of what he accused Brian of doing - making sneaky comments (which Joubert never did), being whiny, not bringing it, and doing nothing but complaining - is exactly what he did all week.

Chan's behavior has been unsportsmanlike, unpleasant to say the least, and there is no defending it. There is a difference between honesty and being mean-spirited and petty, and Chan crossed it this week, repeteadly. And yet remarkably, this thread is "what will Brian complain about". Brian won't complain, because he knows he didn't skate well enough to win. Enough already.

museksk8r, you are so right that this has gone on too long and on too many threads, and I realize I am one of the people responsible for this, because I was just so annoyed! But I think I will make this my last post on this matter. I've said all I had to say, and I want to talk about good things now, like Denis Ten and Tomas not imploding and Evan doing so well on home ice.

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
To answer the question "so is BJ now going to complain about..", the answer is no. in an interview on France 3, five minutes after his competition Nelson, the interviewer asked him if, like last year, he thought there was a problem with the judging etc, and he said no, he just didn't do his job and the only person he's angry at his himself.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/brian+joubert/video/x8sjt6_brian-joubert-echoue-sport-270309_sport

The interview starts at 4:50, and Brian is asked about the judging at 5:19

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Oh Patrick, why are you still kicking Brian even when he's down?

For that matter, I really wonder why he isn't (rightfully) also complaining about the fact that Evan's PCS was substantially higher than his. All this Brian-bashing just makes him look worse and worse.

I agree. I'm not criticising Patrick for his frankness, I think skating needs a bit more of it, but here I've got the feeling he's just on a Brian-bashing campaign.

“I think the (International Skating Union) boss, whoever the boss is, I’m pretty sure he’s going to be upset about what happened. And I think it’s good that it’s happening now and not at the Olympics. That would be really bad.

Ouch! Not only does he not know who the ISU boss is (everybody does) but this statement really makes him really look as if he thinks he's the centre of the world, thinking that his minor injustice is going to change the whole system, when far more scandalouse things have happened without Cinquanta so much as twitching.
I don't know whether Patrick has got an ovr-inflated ego, which would be a shame because he seems like a nice kid or if this is part of some strategy from Skate Canada.

Anyhow, I do agree we are all giving this matter too much importance. I think we and Patrick are all playing the press's game. I've got a feeling that the media are trying to blow this out of proportion, just to have some sort of scandal and nasty rivalry in figure skating.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Nathacha, I'm curious - could you tell us a bit about how the media in France reported on Brian's performance? I know in the past some journalists have been very hard on him when he did not skate well. Is that the case again, or has he gotten mostly favorable press?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Nathacha, I'm curious - could you tell us a bit about how the media in France reported on Brian's performance? I know in the past some journalists have been very hard on him when he did not skate well. Is that the case again, or has he gotten mostly favorable press?

It hasn't been harsh at all (surprisingly!). The non-sport media have aminly said that Brian got bronze because of his mistakes, which we all know isn't completely true. Some though have shown an interview where he says that the first fall destabilised him, which is why he went on to do an awful performance and so get just bronze, though some just cut short and said that just the falls were responsible.

Usually he gets loads of slack, what's more from journalists who no know as much about figure skating as I do about golf, but so far it's been ok.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, Patrick's young, but he's also being honest. I mean...He's not the only one who was complaining about Brian's very empty program getting the marks it did for both programs. There were others.

I coud not agree more. Lots of skating fans have noticed how during several years Joubert has gotten ridiculously high PC scores for his empty programmes.

figuristka

Medalist
I think perhaps Patrick just voiced his opinion as he and others around him throught in the PCS that it was unfairly marked. He does have a valid point.Though wish he put it more mildly. Some can argue about Performance/Execution. For example Brian should get some credit for the intensity and energy he brings to the program. However when you look at something like Transitions then there should be no argument or confusion as Patrick should have been ahead. I do like Brian and love the energy he brings to the ice, his footwork has energy too. He does alot of skating on two feet between the jumps though and i would love to see that improved , though if the judges mark like this it would not give him modivation to would it? The top 3 men are all fine competitors and each of them along with a few others are real contenders for the gold when its the olympics.Each of them deserve credit for what they do well.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It hasn't been harsh at all (surprisingly!). The non-sport media have aminly said that Brian got bronze because of his mistakes, which we all know isn't completely true. Some though have shown an interview where he says that the first fall destabilised him, which is why he went on to do an awful performance and so get just bronze, though some just cut short and said that just the falls were responsible.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear they're not being too hard on Brian, I'm sure he feels bad enough already. You know, I'm not sure the performance was that awful - certainly no worse than Euros - but it ended so badly and in such a shocking way, that's the impression everyone, including Brian, will be left with.

I wonder if he'll go to the World Team Challenge or whatever it's called? I'm sure France will be one of the qualifying countries, and that could be a nicer end to the season for him.

penguin girl

Rinkside
I don't particularly appreciate Chan's comments--they were pretty raw, and I'm a huge Chan fan. On the other hand, this might be good for skating in general. Skating needs a bit of controversy to make it juicy for the general public. Maybe someday we'll actually see some of it on network tv again...sigh...

From the article:

Joubert ended up with an overall score of 151.57 for his program, versus 155.03 for Chan, and had to settle for the bronze medal. Previously, he had won three silvers.

Joubert especially enjoyed his silver medal in 2007.

And at least Chan was magnanimous in victory.

"I'm not the type of person to laugh in his face . . . Like Evan [Lysacek] said [in the press conference], you win some, you lose some, and [Joubert] lost some.

Magnanimous: showing nobility of feeling and generosity of spirit.

Victory: fininishing first, not second.

I mean, c'mon, I was watching Brian and I told Michael Slipchuk [Skate Canada's high performance director] 'Are you serious? This is his program?' There's no comparison, even with the fourth or fifth [place] skater."

You know, I never gave much credence to all snarks about the Canadian Federation that you read on message boards. But you have to think that in this situation Skate Canada is playing the role of Iago.

Patrick is 18, inexperienced in dealing with public attention, and involved in an emotional sport. People say things. No big deal.

But how old is Michael Slipchuk? What is Skate Canada's agenda here?

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker

"I'm not the type of person to laugh in his face . . . Like Evan [Lysacek] said [in the press conference], you win some, you lose some, and [Joubert] lost some.

Last time I checked Evan is a world Champion, and Brian Joubert is a world champion. But Patrick Chan is not a world champion. Patrick should be thanking his lucky stars that Brian did not skate the way he was capable of skating.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To answer the question "so is BJ now going to complain about..", the answer is no. in an interview on France 3, five minutes after his competition Nelson, the interviewer asked him if, like last year, he thought there was a problem with the judging etc, and he said no, he just didn't do his job and the only person he's angry at his himself.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/brian+joubert/video/x8sjt6_brian-joubert-echoue-sport-270309_sport

The interview starts at 4:50, and Brian is asked about the judging at 5:19

Thanks for posting. Respect to Brian for displaying such maturity and honesty. :rock:

Fae

Rinkside

"I'm not the type of person to laugh in his face . . . Like Evan [Lysacek] said [in the press conference], you win some, you lose some, and [Joubert] lost some

That made me lol. Which um, dictionary version of "magnaimous" was the journalist using?

I don't like what Chan has been saying, but he is after all, only 18...
He's not really supposed to be at the pinnacle of maturity at 18, no matter how brilliant his skating skills are.

adamlondon

On the Ice
Well I'm in agreement with Chan and he just said what he thought. After all Brain said what he thought last year and gained some publicity. Honestly there is no point about being too nice about things sometimes. Just say it like it is. I'm not siding Patrick too much but it was so obvious he had the best skating qualities and who had the best and finest movements. I think Patrick had worked really hard to transform his body into a dancer's, whereas Brian is still moving about in a sort of 'nice' way. I guess both of them are just talking up their own fortes.
Of late I haven't seen anyone having both the quad and excellent skating qualities- the last one was Yagudin and perhaps Plushenko. It's a difficult one. The quad is really really difficult and deserves a lot of credit but then again it is the cliched 'whole package' which is also important.

Danale

On the Ice
First, it’s funny how the thread started about Brian Joubert possible complaining and within 3 posts turned into Chan’s actual complaining.
Second, I’ve read the entire thread and I see people are ascribing Chan’s comments to his young age and lack of media experience. Well, I’ve seen press conferences with Adam Rippon who showed maturity and sense of humor when asked about similar topic. So I’m not sure it’s simply a matter of age.

i love to skate

Medalist
First, it’s funny how the thread started about Brian Joubert possible complaining and within 3 posts turned into Chan’s actual complaining.
Second, I’ve read the entire thread and I see people are ascribing Chan’s comments to his young age and lack of media experience. Well, I’ve seen press conferences with Adam Rippon who showed maturity and sense of humor when asked about similar topic. So I’m not sure it’s simply a matter of age.

Who's Adam Rippon? I've heard the name but don't know who he is. Maybe it has nothing to do with his age, perhaps it's just the way he is, saying what he feels. Love it or hate it.

figuristka

Medalist
He's i think the Junior worlds men's gold medalist from usa.

Not to excuse anyone but when chan was in the juniors we never heard any remarks either.