Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: No More Compulsories?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I would love to read an academic paper on Skate Dance, and written by a judge. That kind of topic is what should be appearing in the skating magazines and not just the fluff stuff.
    ITA. And I've seen (elsewhere in discussion groups) pretty compelling informal critiques of Ice Dance performances (mostly in CDs) by non-aligned folks with judging credentials. In one interaction one outraged reader asked what favorite couple X did wrong in compulsories and the judge went into very specific detail about what they did wrong (including what the pairs that placed above them didn't)
    But it's precisely the CDs that judging is least compromised (apart from CoPs absurd GoE dimension which is just dumb in CDs). Getting rid of CDs is likely to render Dance into the worst kind of impressionistic (I liked it! vs It didn't have a beat; I can't dance to it) judginhg.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Agree! Just what is it that one judges in Dance? The basics are superb with all the top teams
    But some are clearly superior to others.

Delobel & Schoenfelder > everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    But some are clearly superior to others.

Delobel & Schoenfelder > everyone else.
    Indeed, if one is avidly rooting for a particular Team, one sees that team as superior to others, and does not understand, in some cases, that a judge gave them a bad score.

LKR722
    This is ruining ice dancing. I love the compulsory dances. Ice Dancing is fine with the CD, Original Dance, and Free Dance portions. Reducing the number of elements required in the FD is fine as skaters can be more innovative. But why are they getting rid of the compulsory dances? Besides the fact I enjoy watching them, you get to see the differences between the teams in terms of ice dancing skill.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3