No More Compulsories? | Golden Skate

No More Compulsories?

skatingbc

Final Flight
As I was watching the compulsories in LA, the Eurosport commentators stated that after the Olympics there will be no more compulsory dance. They also said that parts of the original would be the same for every couple. I googled briefly and couldn't find anything to back this up. Does anyone know anything about this? Any opinions?

Personally, I think compulsories are a good thing. Perhaps they needn't be used at the Senior level of competition, but I think it would be a tragedy to do away with them at the lower levels.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Well, the danish commentators also said that the compulsory dance might not continue to be...They said it was because audience found them repetitive and a bit boring and also so that the ice dancer would only have to do two programs like in singles and pairs skating....

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I just read an article this morning with Courtney Jones...he said the compulsories cannot just "go away". Apparently the powers that be in ice dance are going to have teams try to come up with demonstrations on how they will create a combo dance...sort of an original dance with compulsory elements. I'll try to find the link for that article. I know this was talked about last year and there was quite a bit of discussion about a "combo" dance. I think it will happen. They just can't do away with compulsories.

Link: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/current/content/compulsory dance not going out.htm

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
I just read an article this morning with Courtney Jones...he said the compulsories cannot just "go away". Apparently the powers that be in ice dance are going to have teams try to come up with demonstrations on how they will create a combo dance...sort of an original dance with compulsory elements. I'll try to find the link for that article. I know this was talked about last year and there was quite a bit of discussion about a "combo" dance. I think it will happen. They just can't do away with compulsories.

Link: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/current/content/compulsory dance not going out.htm
Nice article. I think that compulsories are too important to simply go away as well. I think a combo dance might be an interesting idea though.

megsk8z

On the Ice
I love the compulsories. Of course, I am a skating geek, but I think it's so interesting to watch the different dancers perform the same dance. I learn a lot from it.

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
I love the compulsories. Of course, I am a skating geek, but I think it's so interesting to watch the different dancers perform the same dance. I learn a lot from it.

It's sort of a superficial point, but I also love looking at the costume choices for compulsories; I think it's fascinating to see subtle variations on the same thing, to see who came up with the "perfect tango dress," for instance.

Some could also argue that the compulsories are the only time the audience is assured of getting to see DANCING, pure and simple. I'm not convinced that some couples are doing anything other than gymnastics, posturing, and silly tricks these days. :disapp: Long live compulsories!

screech

Final Flight
Didn't the OD use to be to a set pattern? Why not do something like that - have a theme and pattern to follow but with unique steps.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Didn't the OD use to be to a set pattern? Why not do something like that - have a theme and pattern to follow but with unique steps.

Yes, it used to be called the OSP or Original Set Pattern. They had to skate the exact same steps three times around but they could design their own steps as long as it followed the musical theme set forth for the season. The thing is that doesn't really work because all the steps will be different for each couple. With a combo dance, the skaters would have to skate the same steps during part of the dance, thus the judges can compare apples to apples.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As I was watching the compulsories in LA, the Eurosport commentators stated that after the Olympics there will be no more compulsory dance. They also said that parts of the original would be the same for every couple. I googled briefly and couldn't find anything to back this up. Does anyone know anything about this? Any opinions?

Personally, I think compulsories are a good thing. Perhaps they needn't be used at the Senior level of competition, but I think it would be a tragedy to do away with them at the lower levels.

This sounds like what happened to figures. The average Joe found figures boring to watch and did not understand them. It would change how dance is judged removing the compulsories. Oh well....

castmembersonly

Rinkside
I think removing compulsories would be a big mistake. We have to push for an evolution but not throw out the baby with the bath water. If we had allowed figures to continue into our techno age I think we would have seen some insane developments in the event. It could have become extreme and very beautiful and forward moving as well as created a whole generation of edge and body conscious skaters with spectacular skills outside of jumping and emoting.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I know taht somebody asked Tanith about her opinioin in an interview after worlds and she said that they took up so much training time for the proportion of the overall score, but they had helped her personally this season in getting better basics.

I agree. Doing patterns is part of dancing. If anything the OD should be removed, which seems just to be a min-freedance.

Yes, nobody really likes compulsories, but i think if we lose them, ice dancing will get very sloppy and so many skaters with poor technique will find thier way to the senior level.

figuristka

Medalist
I don't want to see compulsory dances go away. They are the basic's of the whole sport of Ice Dancing and are very important. All skater's learning Ice Dance have to take them, i did too. I think it helps to judge correctly as well. I agree perhaps watching over 24 teams doing the same dance can be a little tiring but if they really have to be removed instead of the OD then they should have to do at least one pattern of the chosen compulsory in their OD.

saltypig

Rinkside
No more CD 2010-2011 season...

I think it's basically a done deal (I think it's going to be a hybrid CD/OD) but they just need to iron out the details:

The ISU Congress passed a resolution accepting the principle that the Ice Dance discipline will be composed of two parts commencing in the 2010-2011 competitive calendar. The Congress also adopted guidelines for the implementation which foresees testing and analysis of a new dance format for the first segment of the Ice Dance event.

The Congress decided to reduce the required elements in the free program to allow increased innovation.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3572-4771-layout160-129918-news-item,00.html

Last edited:
If the same number of skaters (men as well as ladies) show up in Vancouver as they did in LA, it will be an extremely long day which, imo, will have nothing to do with the purpose of the Olys.

I didn't think Skate Dance was over entries, but if it is then let the teams skate two teams at a time. I think the judges can handle that.

lcd

Match Penalty
The Grand Prix final has already been going without compulsories for a couple of years. They eliminated compulsories for the first time this past December for the juniors as well.

The sport will go through inevitable growing pains should they try to design some sort of hybrid event with a set pattern. They seem to already be struggling with OD themes as it is! Next year is again the folk dance. Is EVERYTHING supposed to be "made for TV"? And what's the point of that if skating isn't even ON TV?!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I can't believe that we will have to sit through folk dance AGAIN. we just did that last year, and I am very sick of it. I want to see some sexy tangos!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love folk dances, especially...... (everyone join with me...) POLKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm very happy with the folk dance being used. I liked quite a few of last year's programs, and hope there will not be quite so many gypsy dances this coming season.

ANd I am thrilled to death that the only tango we have to endure is the Tango Romantica CD.

I would like the tango better if so many of the couples did not skate to same 3 tangos, mostly the Assassin's tango. It gets beyond tedious when there are some 30 or so couples.

saltypig

Rinkside
Folk dance again huh? It probably has something to do with the Olympics. I can't see another reason why they would do it two years in a row. I guess most teams will just use their current program or a slight variation of it.