No More Compulsories? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

No More Compulsories?

life684

Final Flight
OD will be Kalinka Festival, seriously their should be some limit on the number of kalinkas that can be danced. I don't think i can handle another year of kalinka music.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Folk dance again huh? It probably has something to do with the Olympics. I can't see another reason why they would do it two years in a row. I guess most teams will just use their current program or a slight variation of it.

Umm, folk dance won't be done two years in a row. It was done last year (2007/2008 season) and next season (2009/2010). In general, I agree that we will see pretty similar programs though. I'm hoping that maybe teams that picked a Russian dance last year will maybe pick a different style next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

How about this for a Canadian folk dance though!!! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2G5gf9GHk

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
CD and OD should not go IMO. They are the heart of Ice Dance, since this discipline is the transposition of ballroom on ice. Ice Dance would not have much sense then.

IMO, if they really want to cut a fragment of the competition (which is completely unnecesary, also because they want again the Qualifying round in singles. So why cut Dance to two and having singles back to three?), they should cut the FD or merge the FD with OD.
JMO

Audrey19

On the Ice
Removing the compulsories woud be a catastrophe for ice dance!
Young teams who don't have to learn them they won't learn proper posture and skating skills so we would get to see a lot of sloppy skating :no:
I recall Maxim Staviski saying that he finds the compulsories very important, since they show what a couple is really capable of doing. And I agree with him.
The ideea of a mixture of CD and OD is hideous IMO.

Mafke

Medalist
If I had my druthers they'd do more CDs and the FD would be junked and the OD expanded and returned to the old style without pair spins and lifts (the occasional twizzle would be allowed).

added later: true dance spins (generall short in one position) would also be allowed, awful contortionist crap that has no equivalent in any kind of real dance .... wouldn't)

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
If I had my druthers they'd do more CDs and the FD would be junked and the OD expanded and returned to the old style without pair spins and lifts (the occasional twizzle would be allowed).

ITA :rock::agree:

IMHO, regardless of the method used, Skate Dance will always be worked out in advance because there is little to score. The top 10-12 Dancers ALL have good edges and basic turns. They all do twizzles and shoot the ducks, as the big tricks. So what exactly is there to judge except falls and small errors? Those few errors, btw, are a blessing for the judges. Further the top 10-12 Teams will remain basically where they are until they retire.

When was the last time a new team (non-Russian) and without a Russian coach will appear in the top five?

All teams can waltz in any era!

Mafke

Medalist
The problem with dance is not so much that there's not a lot to score, but that audiences are blind to most of it (rather like figures in general).

I remember being blown away by the Duchesnays in 1988 and kind of .... underwhelmed by them once I understood more about ice dance (did she really _do_ anything those first few years?). Great performers but not great technicians - if anything the judges had them too high and close to Klimova/Ponomarenko who were .... basically ... perfect (which makes them almost boring, how can you monday morning quarterback perfection?)

And while CoP has, on the surface, made Dance more interesting, it's done so by corrupting the very nature of the discipline.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
If they got rid of compulsories...it would be one less chance to see our favorite teams perform D:
And it's also really interesting to see how the places switch, how people whose strength is not in the CD can redeem themselves in the FD and OD, or the other way around.
I think this would be disadvantageous to many skaters.

The problem with dance is not so much that there's not a lot to score, but that audiences are blind to most of it (rather like figures in general).

I remember being blown away by the Duchesnays in 1988 and kind of .... underwhelmed by them once I understood more about ice dance (did she really _do_ anything those first few years?). Great performers but not great technicians - if anything the judges had them too high and close to Klimova/Ponomarenko who were .... basically ... perfect (which makes them almost boring, how can you monday morning quarterback perfection?)

And while CoP has, on the surface, made Dance more interesting, it's done so by corrupting the very nature of the discipline.
Agree! Just what is it that one judges in Dance? The basics are superb with all the top teams, and only minor errors on that night happen leaving more than half still looking good. :think: How does one pick a winner? By bushy blonde hair? by cuteness? by certain nationality? by reputation?

I would love to read an academic paper on Skate Dance, and written by a judge. That kind of topic is what should be appearing in the skating magazines and not just the fluff stuff.

Mafke

Medalist
I would love to read an academic paper on Skate Dance, and written by a judge. That kind of topic is what should be appearing in the skating magazines and not just the fluff stuff.

ITA. And I've seen (elsewhere in discussion groups) pretty compelling informal critiques of Ice Dance performances (mostly in CDs) by non-aligned folks with judging credentials. In one interaction one outraged reader asked what favorite couple X did wrong in compulsories and the judge went into very specific detail about what they did wrong (including what the pairs that placed above them didn't)
But it's precisely the CDs that judging is least compromised (apart from CoPs absurd GoE dimension which is just dumb in CDs). Getting rid of CDs is likely to render Dance into the worst kind of impressionistic (I liked it! vs It didn't have a beat; I can't dance to it) judginhg.

But some are clearly superior to others.

Delobel & Schoenfelder > everyone else. :bow:
Indeed, if one is avidly rooting for a particular Team, one sees that team as superior to others, and does not understand, in some cases, that a judge gave them a bad score. :cry:

L

LKR722

This is ruining ice dancing. I love the compulsory dances. Ice Dancing is fine with the CD, Original Dance, and Free Dance portions. Reducing the number of elements required in the FD is fine as skaters can be more innovative. But why are they getting rid of the compulsory dances? Besides the fact I enjoy watching them, you get to see the differences between the teams in terms of ice dancing skill.