Which Canadian Pair? | Golden Skate

Which Canadian Pair?

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
So far the biggest surprise at Worlds for me is that Canada didn't maintain its 3 spots in Pairs for the Olympics.

This might be the wrong forum but I wondered: Who do you think will/won't be going?

Anabelle Langlois / Cody Hay
Jessica Dubé / Bryce Davison
Meagan Duhamel/Craig Buntin
Kyra Moscovitch/Dylan Moscovitch
Rachel Kirkland / Eric Radford

Or another team I haven't mentioned?

Michelle'sFan

figuristka

Medalist
Perhaps it will be D/D and D/B who make it again. It is a shame 3 cannot go, as there are at least 4 pairs who can make the top 10.

Suppose after 4cc we had too high hopes for the events.

screech

Final Flight
I think the team will end up being Dube/Davison and Duhamel/Buntin. D/D are SC's pairs darlings and D/B are more consistent than the others I think and are improving more and more all the time. Plus the Olys are in Craig's home province...

But that also depends on how the teams skate at Canadians. I think that SC would consider L/A and Brodeur/Mattatal for the other team based on results from last season for L/A and the 10th place this year for B/M. So it's up to how they skate and who can handle the pressure of the nationals being the big deciding factor.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
So far the biggest surprise at Worlds for me is that Canada didn't maintain its 3 spots in Pairs for the Olympics.
I wasn't at all surprised. It was clear that Dube/Davison were not going anywhere this season, and D/B are not on par with the top pairs at this point. I figured one of those teams might crack the top six, but didn't really expect it: the two Russian pairs, the Ukranians, P/T, the Zhangs and the Germans are all stronger right now, and a magical performance like D/D had in Gotheburg is not something that can be produced every year.

I agree that the most likely scenario is that D/D and D/B will go, while Langlois/Hay miss out. Which is a shame, because Anabelle probably won't stay for another Olympic cycle.

screech

Final Flight
D/B won't stay either. Craig will be 28 and I think they have said they paired up just for this O's cycle and Craig plans to retire after that.

Hey, Maybe Meagan and Cody can team up after that.

rain

Record Breaker
I wasn't at all surprised. It was clear that Dube/Davison were not going anywhere this season, and D/B are not on par with the top pairs at this point. I figured one of those teams might crack the top six, but didn't really expect it: the two Russian pairs, the Ukranians, P/T, the Zhangs and the Germans are all stronger right now, and a magical performance like D/D had in Gotheburg is not something that can be produced every year.

I agree that the most likely scenario is that D/D and D/B will go, while Langlois/Hay miss out. Which is a shame, because Anabelle probably won't stay for another Olympic cycle.

I had some hope for D/D after their great LP at Canadians, but yes, their season on the whole did not indicate they would be able to medal again. I hope they can get their spark back next season. It was a joy to watch them emerge last season.

I too think the team will most likely end up being D/D and D/B.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I agree Dube/Davison and Duhamel/Buntin are the favourites for those two Canadian Olympic pair spots right now. Too bad Canada couldn't qualify three pairs spots for next year, so at least Langlois/Hay or Brodeur/Mattatall would have a good shot at making the Olympic team, too. But even if there were three Canadian pairs spots available, at least one or two talented pairs teams would have to miss the Olympics next year. :frown:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am doubting Anabelle Langlois / Cody Hay will be on the road to the Olympics; unless Anabelle's injuries improve. They have been off the ice for quite some time now and she seems to be struggling. One never knows these things for sure though.

The pairs were rather disappointing. I don't even know who won....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
S/S (I can't spell) from Germany... they were first in teh short and they kept it up in the long. Love them! It's so much easier to keep up with what goes on in the sport when you aren't hung up on just your fellow countrymen and their struggles... wish the media would catch up to that notion... but, alas, they're still whining in the US about no clear cut skating princess.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I'll be heartbroken if Anabelle and Cody don't make it. I think the fight is between D/D, D/B and L/H. Personally, I hope it will be D/B and L/H who go to the Olympics. It's such a pity Canada couldn't get three spots.