Canadian FS Fans: Good News/Bad News CBC Coverage | Golden Skate

Canadian FS Fans: Good News/Bad News CBC Coverage

turtle

On the Ice

figuristka

Medalist
It is a shame if they cut back. Canadian skater's are one of the top countries in the World right now and it would be nice to have skaters like Patrick chan and Joannie Rochette be household names in Canada as Yu Na Kim is in Korea and Mao Asada and Miki Ando are in Japan. I never want to see it cut back as it will only make its popularity diminish more. On the brightside we are able to watch skating live online nowadays so the real skating fan won't suffer as much as they could have. I know its mostly to do with money but its mostly females who watch figure skating in Canada , and its usually the men who control the networks or isu. Don't mean to sound like a feminist iam not lol I just really like the sport.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually I think the female/male ratio in Canada watching figure skating is a little more even..

the target audience in the US is definitely female... but watching tapes friends have sent me of Canadian coverage and watching the different ads that play in between the skating and it's not all geared towards women. There were a lot of 'male' ads...

i love to skate

Medalist
actually I think the female/male ratio in Canada watching figure skating is a little more even..

the target audience in the US is definitely female... but watching tapes friends have sent me of Canadian coverage and watching the different ads that play in between the skating and it's not all geared towards women. There were a lot of 'male' ads...

This is sort of related to the male/female ratio and it is just a funny commercial. Molson Canadian has these commercials called "The Code" which are things related to Canada. Anyways, in their newest one they mention skating. It is true about guys watching skating, I have watched it with my guy friends and boyfriend (because I forced them too) and they usually get pretty into it :laugh:

Anyways, enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQL0Q6EvdH0&feature=related

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my dad gets into skating, but he doesn't admit it to his manfriends lol

cute commercial

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
because the ladies have dominated so long, for one, and they are the media darlings... for another it's the more accepted part of the sport by the nation... for whatever reason. The ladies have been selling big since AT LEAST Peggy Flemming, if not longer... why is it that the ladies waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back when were making films (or asked to) and the men were not? It started out as a man's sport, but for whatever reason in the US it's been embraced as a woman's game.

snobben2345

Spectator
I Don't mean to sound like a feminist iam not lol I just really like the sport.

This is OT, but comments like this really disturb me. What is wrong with being a feminist? Young women today do not seem to understand that rights that they take for granted - like the right to vote, to get an education, dress as they please, choose their own husbands,own property,and pursue a career are only enjoyed today *because* of feminism.

Do you realize that less than 100 years ago, women were not even considered to be "persons" under Canadian law? And in many "non-feminist" countries today, women are still treated like property with no more rights than animals?

figuristka

Medalist
Nothing is wrong with being a feminist never said there was. I just didn't want to make the argument it was completely related to men against woman to get figure skating on tv but could be part of it. Iam all for woman having equal rights everywhere. Perhaps unfairly i thought others might view the term feminist as something abit negative in reference to figure skating.

Funny Ad its true i know, i have known a few men who like skating but are more closet fans. Never admit to it.