Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which US Dance Pair ....

Hybrid View

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Which US Dance Pair ....

I prefer Davis/White to Belbin/Agusto. I never really "got" Belbin/Agusto. I don't find there is much chemistry between them. They just seem to skate through there programs without much connection and she is kind of "stiff." He is a better dancer, I think. I do like Davis/White though. There is more scope to their skating.

I prefer Gregory & Petukhov to all of them.

^ Wait till the Hubble and Hubble fans, the Chock and Zuerlein fans, and the Shibutani and Shibutani fans find this thread!

I don't follow US dance very often. but my two cents

1. D/W: more agile than BA, kick-*** twizzles, boy, can they dance. light on their blades.

2. BA: Their TOSCA FD completely lost me. A lot of dramatic expressions (facial) on Tanith, but not much happening on blades, it seems. The mounts/dismounts of lifts are very simple. Not being a dance expert, I can't really see what linichuk has done for them.

3. Samuelson/Bates: I think they are extremely talented. Having said that their FD of this season is one-dimensional and very limiting. I hope they get a new choreographer, who wants to push their envelops.

My favourite US dancer is Kim Navarro(sp? This reveals my ignorance in US skating) girl . She is playful on the ice and willing to experiment. All is good.

Best of luck for all the teams.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by fumie_fumie View Post
    My favourite US dancer is Kim Navarro(sp? This reveals my ignorance in US skating) girl . She is playful on the ice and willing to experiment.
    Right on! Kim is a performer, through and through. I think she and her partner love to entertain, and they are always very appreciative of their fans--which is why I'm a fan! US ice dancing is so deep right now, which is great; but I hope there's still a place for Kim and Brent somewhere in the mix next year. . . .

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Watching the FD on TV last night, I was baffled by the whole thing. I didn't like either of the teams fighting for gold and thought both of the teams fighting for bronze deserved the top two spots. And I liked a lot of the lower-placing teams better too, esp. Peichalat/Bourzat, Samuelson/Bates, Capellini/Lanotte and the Kerrs. I can see why C/L might not be quite ready for the podium at Worlds. But P/B, S/B and the Kerrs - I'd take them over Domnina/Shabalin and Belbin/Agosto any day.

To answer your q more directly, I adore S/B but also admire D/W vastly. I really don't understand why B/A are so highly rated.

Well I suppose my preference is clear by this point lol! I'll try to be as objective as possible though.

I don't know that we can say that there is a clear #1 in US ice dance right now. B/A and D/W were judged sooo close last night (I'll try to leave my personal opinion out of it). Neither team are perfect; they've both got areas to improve upon. B/A are nearly done though-they've stated that they intend to retire after Vancouver, and due to that I think judges will view them as #1. So here are my thoughts.

-B/A went to Linichuk to improve their skating. They were stagnating under Sphilband and IMO, were coasting after their great 04/05 season. Since the move their edging, control and speed have improved (Tanith more so, because she was the one who needed to improve more). Tanith's extension improved as well. However, the reason I was not more enthusiastic about the "new" B/A this season was their dances. Their OD was described as being a tap dance but there was nothing even remotely resembling tap in that dance. Their FD, I think, was designed to bring down the house in LA if they skated it well (with Tosca as the music it was a good design). I thought they skated decently last night but were completely lackluster, and the short applause reflected that I think.
    What they need to do is continue to keep improving their skating and to develop dances for next season that stay true to their personalities because it just didn't seem like them this season. Her expression can improve, I just found it so overdone this past week, almost to the point of ridiculous at times (CD).

-D/W are not perfect by any means. Her posture needs to improve, and their overall extension and toe point, while improved this season IMO, can get even stronger. But I'm excited by how much they really have improved over this past season, visibly better from one competition to the next. They were remarkably better at relating to each other and using the music in a way they had not done in seasons before.
    I think overall they have a strong technical foundation, they just need to continue developing. So two things I'm looking for with them is to improve on the CDs (and in doing so that should help them improve their technique overall, carrying into the other segments), and to branch out choreographically. I'd like to see them try less classical themes in the future and perhaps go outside for choreography. I loved their dances this season (IMO they had the second best set of the whole field) but when compared to Virtue/Moir, they didn't appear as complex in choreography).

-S/B, I don't think will be in contention for the top US stop until after the Olympics. They are extremely talented, but not without their weaknesses. They did very well this season, but they've had a few issues here and there with their spins (lack of centering and control). Their speed and overall power can improve as well as their expression.
    I think overall their main concern is choreography. I don't know that I've truly liked a single one of FDs; there is a collection of them on youtube and I watched them recently. Many of their lifts have been recycled year after year (part of why they are so well executed?) and some of the transitions are repeated again and again as well. Their music doesn't always help either; Amazonic didn't really allow them to go anywhere emotionally, it kept them at a single level. Perhaps a more mature team would have been able to do more with it but regardless, S/B deserve better music and choreography (though I'd say that for a lot of teams).

If G/P truly are coming back to try and qualify for the Olympics, next season will be very interesting. I'm curious to see how they'd fit in.

And NavBoms! I'll admit, I wanted them 2nd at Nationals, but what do they need to do to stay in the mix? Are their dances too simple?

And there are other teams (such as Summersett/Gilles and the Hubbells, both teams that are improving very quickly). I'm just too lazy to write about them now. Sorry for the long post lol.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 03-28-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Never apologize for long posts to me! I love long posts!

I prefer D&W at this point in time to B&A and the other US teams, although I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Shibutanis. What the heck, I like them all.

lmarie has concentrated on what each team needs to do better. I'd like to concentrate on what each team does well.

D&W's FD this year had 3 of the most outstanding elements in dance of the year in the FD, and routinely got one or more GOE's of 3 for them.
    Their spin: Not only did they enter it on a gorgeously deep back edge (a much harder entry than many other teams used), the rotations were fast, centered, and synched with the music. Furthermore, they were using their arms and the rest of their bodies to express the music while they were doing this gorgeous spin. Finally Meryl pulls her skirt upward to change the shape they are showing in the latter part of the spin. Just gorgeous.
    Their swooping lift-again, not only is it just pretty and difficult, Charlie is swinging Meryl around in time to the music, and the difficulty of swinging her at an angle like that is amazing.
    Their twizzles, which have been more hit or miss this year, because they have been reworking them, which as always leads to some chaotic happenings, but they have garnered several 3's for them.
    D&W are currently the most technically skilled team (in terms of the elements) in the US. In fact, they are so technical, that they are able to spend effort on making the elements pretty and making them fit the music.
    They can do silly and comedic routines (like their Charleston and their Yankee Polka) without getting self conscious about it, not just these powerful classical routines they have used for free dances.
    They are in superb athletic condition. They use less standing around, catching their breath posing segments than many other teams.
    They seem to perform best when they have a story to concentrate on, as in the FD's. They should try that (as do the DelSchoes) in the OD & CDs.

Belbin and Agosto have the best CD's of the US teams right now, especially after working with Linichuk. They were the team that put the US on ice dance podium after years of the US program having trouble even getting a team in the top ten. Ben skates really big, and really powerful. I see a lot of improvement in Tanith.
    B&A seem best & happiest in the OD. They spend a great deal of time and trouble getting the OD to truly express the character of the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I prefer Gregory & Petukhov to all of them.
    Me too!

But if we are talking B&A v. D&W... D&W are not even in the picture. They are frantic and sloppy, IMO. She is a pretty weak skater. And despite them being so frantic, they still manage to be boring at the same time.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIce View Post
    She is a pretty weak skater.
    Tanith isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Tanith isn't?
    Tanith is far from being the strongest lady in the current field, but I feel she's still stronger than Meryl. And Tanith has managed to improve on her toe point/free leg extension, while Meryl is still very sloppy in this aspect. Tanith's posture is far better, too.

Tanith is far from being the strongest lady in the current field, but I feel she's still stronger than Meryl. And Tanith has managed to improve on her toe point/free leg extension, while Meryl is still very sloppy in this aspect. Tanith's posture is far better, too.
    Why can't we say that both are improving? Tanith was definitely breaking at the waist at some points in the FD; so was Meryl. Both still need to point their toes/turn out more. Tanith's extension IS better at this point, but I think Meryl's edges are better (though Tanith's are much better than they used to be). At this point, I'd say they're pretty close.
    And if Meryl is a weak skater, then so is Melissa Gregory (and I actually like G/P).
    Actually, something the three teams mentioned here have in common is that the men are generally considered to be much the stronger partner. I feel that Melissa improved immensely with Linichuk as coach, so it doesn't surprise me that Tanith is already showing visible improvement. I think Meryl can still learn from Igor, but if he does what he did with B/A and just masks weaknesses rather than addressing them, I would hope she and Charlie make a coaching change as well.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the results of the hard work that both teams do over the off season. I love having so many wonderful US teams to root for.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 03-31-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Custom Title
    Me too!

But if we are talking B&A v. D&W... D&W are not even in the picture. They are frantic and sloppy, IMO. She is a pretty weak skater. And despite them being so frantic, they still manage to be boring at the same time.
    I have always found Gregory/Petukhov to be among the most boring ice dancers of all time. Apparently the ISU judges aren't that thrilled with them either, because their best finish at Worlds was 9th, back in 2005. And "frantic, sloppy" D/W finished 7th to G/P's 10th at Worlds 2007, in D/W's first appearance at Worlds.

IMO, G/P are done. If they do return to Nationals in 2010, they are very unlikely to make the podium.

To each his/her own.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    G&P are awesome people, but sadly they are not great COP modern day dancers. Nor were they ever great for posture, either.

OTOH, they seem to be really getting some credentials as choreographers. That is a career path that promises much more for them than a return to eligible skating.

They have been to worlds; they have been to Olympics. Even should they compete this year at US Nationals and qualify for worlds or Olympics this next year due to either retirements (B&A) or injuries of other skaters, they are not going to medal at either event.

Their desire to go through the expense and grief for so little reward is puzzling to me, but I guess everyone has to have a dream.

Banned
    In Ice Dance, it is all about the female partner. Unfortunately, both ladies in US top teams are overshadowed by male partners. That's one of the main reasons I believe both teams will have hard time being at the top of the podium. However, I will take Tanith any day over Meryl. She actually improved a lot since move to Linichuk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast