Which US Dance Pair .... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which US Dance Pair ....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I guess the same argument could be said of Tugba and half a dozen other skaters that have a fan base but have no chance in reality of medalling... sometimes that's not the only thing that matters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I think that is true of fans of any and all skaters (or sports teams).

There's a song about this kind of fandom (Alabama's Cheap Seats):

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/alabama/cheap-seats-4190.html

We like beer flat as can be.
We like our dogs with mustard and relish.
We got a great pitcher what's his name.
Well we can't even spell it.
We don't worry about the pennant much.
We just like to see the boys hit it deep.
There's nothing like the view from the cheap seats.

The game was close, we'll call it a win.
Go off to toast the boys again.

With G&P, it makes me happy to see them skate really well, and feel happy about how they skated.

The danger with this kind of team (and fandom) is the perceived necessity to downgrade the achievements of teams that do better than our adored ones. It's particularly difficult when a younger team passes your older more favorite team.

A lot of the considerable chatter about Tanith's posture started due to unhappiness by Lang & Tchernyshev fans when B&A passed them-Naomi had lousy work ethic, but she had wonderful ballet posture.

I know. I *loved* L&T, particularly their 2002 Flamenco OD. I was not happy when B&A passed them by. However, by the time B&A skated to Shadritsa, I had gotten over that.

Sometimes, you just have to get over it.

sfgirl

On the Ice
Yes, I think that is true of fans of any and all skaters (or sports teams).

There's a song about this kind of fandom (Alabama's Cheap Seats):

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/alabama/cheap-seats-4190.html

With G&P, it makes me happy to see them skate really well, and feel happy about how they skated.

The danger with this kind of team (and fandom) is the perceived necessity to downgrade the achievements of teams that do better than our adored ones. It's particularly difficult when a younger team passes your older more favorite team.

A lot of the considerable chatter about Tanith's posture started due to unhappiness by Lang & Tchernyshev fans when B&A passed them-Naomi had lousy work ethic, but she had wonderful ballet posture.

I know. I *loved* L&T, particularly their 2002 Flamenco OD. I was not happy when B&A passed them by. However, by the time B&A skated to Shadritsa, I had gotten over that.

Sometimes, you just have to get over it.

So true, and I prefer objectivity so much more than blind adoration.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I'm still trying to figure out why so many posters think it's necessary to bash some skaters to make their own favourites look better... I don't think that strategy is working either...
The depth of dislike for some skaters by some posters knows no bounds. I don't think that strategy works, either, it just stirs up anger.

I have always found Gregory/Petukhov to be among the most boring ice dancers of all time. Apparently the ISU judges aren't that thrilled with them either, because their best finish at Worlds was 9th, back in 2005. And "frantic, sloppy" D/W finished 7th to G/P's 10th at Worlds 2007, in D/W's first appearance at Worlds.

IMO, G/P are done. If they do return to Nationals in 2010, they are very unlikely to make the podium.

To each his/her own.
In complete agreement with you.

Great post earlier, lmarie086.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, I try not to diminish another team on the nit picky or technical aspects. I like Melissa and Denis' skating. That's just me, normally that style doesn't appeal to me, but they sell it well and they are a cute couple. They're also sweet as can be and down to earth. That's not to say other teams aren't I just got emotionally invested in this team early.

That isnt to say that there aren't teams that are better - I can't say that - I just like them better. I don't think I've ever thought Tanith and Ben should be second to them... I do feel there has been a little politiking when it comes to G/P and certain scores/standings within the US, but again that's me. I don't think the USFSA will be pulling strings for them to make the Olympic team, that's for sure.

I like a lot of the US Dance teams, seeing dance live is so much easier than seeing it on TV (or computer screen) I don't know why but I understand it more lol

lmarie086

Medalist
I like a lot of the US Dance teams, seeing dance live is so much easier than seeing it on TV (or computer screen) I don't know why but I understand it more lol

That's what I keep hearing...there are a lot of different little details (such as edging and speed) that really don't come across as strong on screen as they do in person, right?

I so need to go to SA. :laugh:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
And if Meryl is a weak skater, then so is Melissa Gregory (and I actually like G/P).
Actually, something the three teams mentioned here have in common is that the men are generally considered to be much the stronger partner. I feel that Melissa improved immensely with Linichuk as coach, so it doesn't surprise me that Tanith is already showing visible improvement. I think Meryl can still learn from Igor, but if he does what he did with B/A and just masks weaknesses rather than addressing them, I would hope she and Charlie make a coaching change as well.

I wasn't even comparing G&P to either B&A or D&W. My fondness for them has nothing to do with how strong they may or may not be. Each of those ladies has her strengths and weaknesses, but I vastly prefer Melissa over Meryl.

lmarie086

Medalist
I wasn't even comparing G&P to either B&A or D&W. My fondness for them has nothing to do with how strong they may or may not be. Each of those ladies has her strengths and weaknesses, but I vastly prefer Melissa over Meryl.

Then I apologize for reading too much into what you were saying. And for the record, I'm excited to see what G/P can do if they actually do end up coming back in hopes of qualifying for the Olympics.

I'm going to feel so bad for whoever doesn't make it on the team, because we really do have such a deep field now.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That's what I keep hearing...there are a lot of different little details (such as edging and speed) that really don't come across as strong on screen as they do in person, right?

I so need to go to SA. :laugh:

that and for me I like to know their personality outside of the dances as well... you see that in warm ups and practices... and the kiss and cry... and when they get done with their skate and they come steal seats by the ice so they can finish watching and cheering :rofl: it's always fun to chat with the skaters, their friends, and their families... you get to know the skaters just a little bit and it makes it that much easier to cheer for them

and also hard because you don't have just ONE or TWO favorites out there :laugh: US nationals is always so hard for me because of that!

wushuang122

Rinkside
I really a big fan of B/A, maybe a lot of people think tanith is a weak skater compared to other female. But actually she is the most attractive one and B/A has created really sence of enjoyment in most of their OD, and I strongly feel that tanith has dramatic changes in her extension and posture. I think Merly has really bad shape when she skate just as tanith before. However, this year when I looked at tanith's performance I found it is a new tanith look at her movement really beautiful!