Which US Dance Pair .... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which US Dance Pair ....

dancefan77

Rinkside
I think we have to step back as B/A fans and realize 1. not everyone is a fan and 2. it's not bashing to critique what they have and what they lack...

LOL!!! You have a point.

Oh I know people have their preferences. I have mine as well. I just get tired of some of the thngs that I read about B/A when it just seems as though they do not get their due considering all the things they have done for US Dance. They have done so much for US Figure Skating and been an inspiration to so many young dance teams that I just want to point that out because I feel as though they just do not get the respect other top teams, past and present have.

But thanks for the reminder from another B/A fan. :)

I think we have to step back as B/A fans and realize 1. not everyone is a fan and 2. it's not bashing to critique what they have and what they lack...
Thank you. I don't mean to bash. I know they have a great track record, I just don't understand it. Other teams seem to skate better, plus B/A's programs frequently seem unimaginative compared to others. Also, I see other teams making progress whereas B/A seem to go backwards or stagnate. I was hoping someone would enlighten me as to what I should be looking at when they skate. What am I missing?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I honestly just really like THEM as a couple and individually. I was hooked from their Elvis routine on.... they just seemed to have fun out there.

This year, yeah, it wasn't really Tanith and Ben... it felt very put on. I saw some little improvements in Tanith, but Ben is still the same solid partner as before, but his personality was muted, as was hers... if I wanted a "wannabe" Russian version of an American team maybe I'd like it more, but I'd rather they go back to Marina and get some programs that showcase what makes them great, which is themselves.

I felt the same way when B/K switched and went to Tarasova/Morosov - it wasn't them... and for whatever reason I felt they lost a lot of their charm. Victor just looked downright annoyed.

lmarie086

Medalist
^I know what you mean Tonichelle, and I hope I didn't come across as bashing them, they just aren't my personal preference. But nothing can take away what they've accomplished. Some might question it, but their achievements have really done so much for US ice dance.

And I think that's why I wasn't more excited about them this season. Sure they (Tanith)improved, most notably by Worlds, but throughout the season they just felt flat to me. There is something intrinsically American about them, and this season if felt as though that aspect was being purposefully masked. They had such fun and engaging personalities on the ice in the past. While they are not my favorites I always did appreciate that. Without that this season there just wasn't much for me.

So I'm hoping they get dances next year that bring that aspect out more. I still think their best dance ever was Sarajevo; it was quirky and I think that suited them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What am I missing?

Their OD's. Over time, they have had some of the most excellent OD's of the post Grishuk era. (not so much this year though, but they did manage to get a late 40's feel to that non-tap tap dance. I don't think another team could have done that.)

dancefan77

Rinkside
Thank you. I don't mean to bash. I know they have a great track record, I just don't understand it. Other teams seem to skate better, plus B/A's programs frequently seem unimaginative compared to others. Also, I see other teams making progress whereas B/A seem to go backwards or stagnate. I was hoping someone would enlighten me as to what I should be looking at when they skate. What am I missing?

I relate B/A to another fave of mine--Michelle Kwan. I think over the years with both B/A and MK that injuries have taken a toll over the skaters. B/A has the longevity that MK had and because of all the hard work that these skaters have to do it just punishes the body. Especially as the skater gets older, its harder for the body to bounce back from injuries. When B/A came onto the scene they were youthful, energetic, and take-no-prisoners type of dancers/competitors. Over the years, their skating has matured but I also think injuries have been a reason they are not as quick as they use to be. Just like with MK and her hip injury---it limited what she could and could not do on the ice.

I don't think I can point to any one thing or not for you to look for in terms of relating to the skater. You either feel the skaters or not and for me B/A pull me in. I can't explain why they do, but they just do it for me. I enjoy them. Just like I get pulled into Samuelson/Bates, Davis/White, the Kerrs, the Italians, and a lot of the other up and coming US dance teams.

B/A have said that this is a 2 year process for them so this year was about them experimenting, getting back to basics, getting confidence, and establishing themselves on the world scene again. Their coaches I am sure gave them these programs to get them out of their comfort zone and to see what material they could or could not handle. I am sure they will sit down in the offseason and come up with something that will showcase more progress that B/A will have with their new coaches.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I can certainly give B/A credit where credit is due. They have an outstanding career record and yes, have done much for US ice dance. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't get much out of their performances and they have simply never caught my attention. Which is really odd because prior to them, I followed US ice dance very closely. It always goes back to that intangible "it" factor for me, and B/A have never had "it". For me. That's all I can say. As lmarie put it, it's all your personal preference.

LaLola

On the Ice
Thank you for all these nice comments on Tanith and Ben, I'm another fan of them. There is nearly nothing to add. I just can thay they fascinated me all the time because of their great personalities and their attitude towards the sport. This team had to fight so much in the past, but they never gave up. They had some amazing programmes, I still can't forget the Latin OD from 2006 and the performance to Elvis. I've heard in the past that they have no chemistry and I totally disagree: There is so much sympathy between them, they really like each other and they are a great team and very close friends. You cann feel and see that in all their interviews, during the little moments after performances and even on the ice, if they skate to music that fits them. I agree that these year's programmes weren't really Tanith and Ben, but they handeled them very well and showed a new side of themselves. I wish nothing more than that they can show their full potential next year and get the credit for everything they have done.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree that there's a very good chemestry between them on and off the ice, not the lovey dovey type, but you can see she admires him greatly and I don't think he could look any more proud of her as a partner when they talk about each other their eyes light up and it's all very sincere.

LaLola

On the Ice
I agree that there's a very good chemestry between them on and off the ice, not the lovey dovey type, but you can see she admires him greatly and I don't think he could look any more proud of her as a partner when they talk about each other their eyes light up and it's all very sincere.

You found the right words to express what I was trying to say!:)
I alwas have the impression that he really cares for her and tries to make her feel comfortable. She never has to skate back to the boards after a performance on her own, he gently pushes her with one hand on her back. And there was one interview before the Olympics where she started to cry because her grandfather died and he tried to solace her. And she shows so many love for him during interviews and always has so nice words for him. Yes, I think "admire" was the right word.:love:

Sorry, that goes really into detail now, but I'm just so proud of them after these World Championships.

L'amour

On the Ice
oh I don't want to them retiring after 2010, they will be pretty uoung after that, but it's beeing a long road for them and I think they are tired, or will be after 2010.

Sorry, that goes really into detail now, but I'm just so proud of them after these World Championships.

me too :love:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can certainly give B/A credit where credit is due. They have an outstanding career record and yes, have done much for US ice dance. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't get much out of their performances and they have simply never caught my attention. Which is really odd because prior to them, I followed US ice dance very closely. It always goes back to that intangible "it" factor for me, and B/A have never had "it". For me. That's all I can say. As lmarie put it, it's all your personal preference.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly! :agree:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I prefer Gregory & Petukhov to all of them. ;)

Me too!

But if we are talking B&A v. D&W... D&W are not even in the picture. They are frantic and sloppy, IMO. She is a pretty weak skater. And despite them being so frantic, they still manage to be boring at the same time.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Tanith isn't?

Tanith is far from being the strongest lady in the current field, but I feel she's still stronger than Meryl. And Tanith has managed to improve on her toe point/free leg extension, while Meryl is still very sloppy in this aspect. Tanith's posture is far better, too.

lmarie086

Medalist
Tanith is far from being the strongest lady in the current field, but I feel she's still stronger than Meryl. And Tanith has managed to improve on her toe point/free leg extension, while Meryl is still very sloppy in this aspect. Tanith's posture is far better, too.

Why can't we say that both are improving? Tanith was definitely breaking at the waist at some points in the FD; so was Meryl. Both still need to point their toes/turn out more. Tanith's extension IS better at this point, but I think Meryl's edges are better (though Tanith's are much better than they used to be). At this point, I'd say they're pretty close.
And if Meryl is a weak skater, then so is Melissa Gregory (and I actually like G/P).
Actually, something the three teams mentioned here have in common is that the men are generally considered to be much the stronger partner. I feel that Melissa improved immensely with Linichuk as coach, so it doesn't surprise me that Tanith is already showing visible improvement. I think Meryl can still learn from Igor, but if he does what he did with B/A and just masks weaknesses rather than addressing them, I would hope she and Charlie make a coaching change as well.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the results of the hard work that both teams do over the off season. I love having so many wonderful US teams to root for.

Last edited:

Alicja

On the Ice
Why can't we say that both are improving? Tanith was definitely breaking at the waist at some points in the FD; so was Meryl. Both still need to point their toes/turn out more. Tanith's extension IS better at this point, but I think Meryl's edges are better (though Tanith's are much better than they used to be). At this point, I'd say they're pretty close.
And if Meryl is a weak skater, then so is Melissa Gregory (and I actually like G/P).
Actually, something the three teams mentioned here have in common is that the men are generally considered to be much the stronger partner. I feel that Melissa improved immensely with Linichuk as coach, so it doesn't surprise me that Tanith is already showing visible improvement. I think Meryl can still learn from Igor, but if he does what he did with B/A and just masks weaknesses rather than addressing them, I would hope she and Charlie make a coaching change as well.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the results of the hard work that both teams do over the off season. I love having so many wonderful US teams to root for.

:thumbsup: Wonderful post!

I'm still trying to figure out why so many posters think it's necessary to bash some skaters to make their own favourites look better... I don't think that strategy is working either...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too!

But if we are talking B&A v. D&W... D&W are not even in the picture. They are frantic and sloppy, IMO. She is a pretty weak skater. And despite them being so frantic, they still manage to be boring at the same time.

I have always found Gregory/Petukhov to be among the most boring ice dancers of all time. Apparently the ISU judges aren't that thrilled with them either, because their best finish at Worlds was 9th, back in 2005. And "frantic, sloppy" D/W finished 7th to G/P's 10th at Worlds 2007, in D/W's first appearance at Worlds.

IMO, G/P are done. If they do return to Nationals in 2010, they are very unlikely to make the podium.

To each his/her own.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
G&P are awesome people, but sadly they are not great COP modern day dancers. Nor were they ever great for posture, either.

OTOH, they seem to be really getting some credentials as choreographers. That is a career path that promises much more for them than a return to eligible skating.

They have been to worlds; they have been to Olympics. Even should they compete this year at US Nationals and qualify for worlds or Olympics this next year due to either retirements (B&A) or injuries of other skaters, they are not going to medal at either event.

Their desire to go through the expense and grief for so little reward is puzzling to me, but I guess everyone has to have a dream.

oxade21

Match Penalty
In Ice Dance, it is all about the female partner. Unfortunately, both ladies in US top teams are overshadowed by male partners. That's one of the main reasons I believe both teams will have hard time being at the top of the podium. However, I will take Tanith any day over Meryl. She actually improved a lot since move to Linichuk.