World Team Trophy: Teams and Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy: Teams and Entries

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Do the federations pick the skaters to go, or are they picked by the ISU, according to either world championships or ISU rankings?

gio

Medalist
WOW - Mao, Miki, Kozuka, Oda, Lysacek, Joubert, Pechalat/Bourzat!
It's great that the federations are taking it seriously!!

I hope Canada will send Virtue/Moir, Rochette and Chan, as well as Russia Leonova and Domnina/Shabalin.
And USA Caroline, Rachael and Weir with Belbin/Agosto or Davis/White.

skatingbc

Final Flight
WOW - Mao, Miki, Kozuka, Oda, Lysacek, Joubert, Pechalat/Bourzat!
It's great that the federations are taking it seriously!!

I hope Canada will send Virtue/Moir, Rochette and Chan, as well as Russia Leonova and Domnina/Shabalin.
And USA Caroline, Rachael and Weir with Belbin/Agosto or Davis/White.

Scott Moir said in an article that I posted earlier in this thread that he is excited to go to Tokyo! I'm assuming that means he and Tessa are planning on competing.

McWicked

On the Ice
Do the federations pick the skaters to go, or are they picked by the ISU, according to either world championships or ISU rankings?

Yeah, Im wonderin that myself, I had hopes Meissner could make it, but I checked she'll be like some days before that even on tour with SOI. I can only hope, I really wanna check in what shape she is!!!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yeah, Im wonderin that myself, I had hopes Meissner could make it, but I checked she'll be like some days before that even on tour with SOI. I can only hope, I really wanna check in what shape she is!!!!!

Evan will be doing the Northeast tour with SOI as well as Kimmie and he is going. So there is a chance maybe Kimmie will go. Strange that there is no word yet on the US team other than Evan and Jeremy.

Well, if you understand ISU-speak, here is the official announcement. (Paragraph 3, especially page 7.)

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=911

I think each member (i.e., each federation) can select the team however they want, but the ISU is applying as much pressure as possible to make sure that each country sends it's A team.

Japan will have a good chance of winning because of the scoring system. Skaters in each discipline get 12 points for first, 11 for second, etc. This goes all the way down to 1 for singles, but the last place pairs and dance teams still get 7 points.

If Mao and Miki go 1-2, that's 23 points already, and if Kozuka and Oda are both near the top, Japan could win the whole thing.

Last edited:
I did some math based on the placements at Worlds. Assuming the countries send their top skaters who they also sent to Worlds, USA has 55 pts, Canada has 54 pts and Japan has 53 pts. That's a pretty big assumption, but it still gives a good idea of how the countries stack up when compared to each other.

I think Japan is looking good. If Mao finishes first instead of fourth and Oda moves up a notch or two, that will put Japan into the lead (not to mention home ice advantage.)

Plus, Joubert might knock Lysacek out of first for the U.S. But then again, Jeremy might do better, Virtue and Moir might beat Belbin and Agosto,... :)

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think Japan is looking good. If Mao finishes first instead of fourth and Oda moves up a notch or two, that will put Japan into the lead (not to mention home ice advantage.)

I would really hate if Japan won. They definitely have the best singles program in the World, but they are not at a high level in dance or pairs. I thought that the whole point of this competition was to encourage countries to develop skaters in every discipline. If Japan were to win because of their exceptional singles skaters, doesn't that undermine the whole reasoning for the competition?

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Though I cannot accept Italy being out instead of China (lol...china dance teams? ladies? men?), I would like to watch it, but Eurosport is not likely to broadcast the Trophy.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Though I cannot accept Italy being out instead of China (lol...china dance teams? ladies? men?), I would like to watch it, but Eurosport is not likely to broadcast the Trophy.

That one doesn't make much sense to me either! I think China will not fare so well here.

How is this for a conspiracy theory?

The score is tied between Canada and Japan going into the last event, the men's long program. Canada holds the tie-breaker because of first-place finishes by Joannie Rochette and Virtue and Moir. The last skater -- Brian Joubert -- takes the ice with the standings (top 6) as follows.

Chan
Lysacek
Kozuka
Oda
Abbott
Chipeur

Joubert is on fire. He hits two quads and a triple Axel in combination. Then he starts to think. If Joubert wins, it goes

Joubert 12
Chan 11
Lysacek 10
Kozuka 9
Oda 8
Abbott 7
Chipeur 6

Canada = 11+6 = 17
Japan = 9+8 = 17

Still tied. Canada wins $200,000 and Patrick Chan picks up a nice piece of change.

So Joubert deliberately falls on his last two jumps and the final score is

Chan 12
Lysacek 11
Kozuka 10
Oda 9
Abbott 8
Joubert 7
Chipeur 6

Canada = 12+6 = 18
Japan = 10+9 = 19 and Japan wins! :)

Last edited:

Actually, Gio explained in post #17 how it turned out that China qualified ahead of Italy.

If you go to the Worlds championship, then your score at Worlds determines how many points you get (along with Grand Prix results).

But if you don't go to worlds, then you can substitute points gained at Europeans and Four Continents instead.

Carolina Kostner and Samuel Contesti went to Wolrds and did not finish at the top. Therefore they were not allowed to count their placements at Europeans.

Some of the Chinese skaters did not go to Worlds, so they were allowed to earn points by their placements at Four Continents.

So, bottom line -- if Kostner and Contesti had stayed home and not skated at Worlds at all, then Italy might have made the cut ahead of China.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well, China will probably do even worse than France - the only top discipline they have is pairs. France has only dance and men, Italy has (women), men and dance + a pairs team that is not too embarrassing.

Whoever thought of this method of qualifying - it's somehow not the most efficient way.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, I liked Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur's performances at Worlds. I didn't think they were embarassing at Worlds, and with luck, they will not embarass the French team here.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
How is this for a conspiracy theory?

The score is tied between Canada and Japan going into the last event, the men's long program. Canada holds the tie-breaker because of first-place finishes by Joannie Rochette and Virtue and Moir. The last skater -- Brian Joubert -- takes the ice with the standings (top 6) as follows.

Chan
Lysacek
Kozuka
Oda
Abbott
Chipeur

Joubert is on fire. He hits two quads and a triple Axel in combination. Then he starts to think. If Joubert wins, Canada wins $200,000 and Patrick Chan picks up a nice piece of change.

So Joubert deliberately falls on his last two jumps and Japan wins! :)
Well, since is just for fun and I can't believe any skater would do such a thing - I just have to point out one doesn't need to fall; it's enough to just pop some jumps, or deliberately change the triples to doubles. :biggrin:

I liked Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur's performances at Worlds. I didn't think they were embarassing at Worlds, and with luck, they will not embarass the French team here.
I think those two are lovely. I didn't get to see them at Worlds but really enjoyed their performances at Euros. They're not a top team at this point, but they're certainly not embarassing.