Compulsory Dance Extreme Makeover | Golden Skate

Compulsory Dance Extreme Makeover

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
The thread named, "No More Compulsories" brought up the idea that after the Olympics, there will be no more compulsory dances because audiences thought they were too boring. Instead of being completely phased out, what if they were revamped? Here are some ideas:

Here are some ideas:

1. Let the couple select their own music that fits the dance rhythm, but they will still skate the same pattern as everyone else. Haven't you always wondered what someone's program will look like to someone else's music? This can help with the repetition of the music.

2. Let more than one couple skate the compulsory at a time. Example--Belbin/Agosto can begin the first pattern of the Westminster. When they're halfway through the pattern, Domnina/Shabalin can begin theirs. Or, they can begin at different places on the ice, like ballroom dancers. That way, we can probably cut the time in half.

3. Choreograph new compulsories that utilize new moves. The CD that Klimova/Ponomarenko choreographed used spread eagles and spirals; the first CD to do so. Perhaps they can have one that uses twizzles/more exciting lifts, etc--while retaining the edging and turns that CD's are known for.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I like the second idea. This would allow the judegs to make real-time side by side comparisons and see who was the better of the two (or three) in real time. I think that once we start allowin skaters to pick thier own music and do lifts and stuff we would just be creating another OD.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've always wondered why they didn't do the compulsaries more like they do in ballroom dancing (which is what ice dance is supposed to mimick anyway) in that they had more than one couple on the ice at a time. I would think if several couples could do it on practice ice together with minimal issues (with practice no one has a really set pattern anyway, if it were uniform in competition, though) then I would think it wouldn't be a problem.

It would cut down on the many times the dang music was being played (I understand why they use the same three or so tracks of music... and for the Yankee Polka I really don't mind) and you could really tell the good from the not so to the downright awful.

I don't want to see the CDs go away. I prefer them a lot of the time to the ODs and FDs... because, surprisingly, I can understand the patterns... I may not know exactly the details that put the top contenders where they are, but I can definitely tell without being subjective who belongs in which grouping. OD and especially FD are made to mask teams flaws.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hmmm... It does sound like a good idea - since everyone does the same pattern, you can make sure there are no conflicts/ collisions. The only issue I see is that it's fine when the teams are more or less evenly matched, but CDs normally use random draw, and it's not fair to the lower ranked teams to share the ice with the stars - even if they are OK, they'll still hook horrible.

blue dog

Record Breaker
but, that's sport... if you wanna play with the big dogs.... ;)

ITA. And perhaps, they can "seed" each grouping. Group one can have one team from 1-4, one team from 5-8, 9-12, and so on. Groups two-five can have the same. Or, they can just have the random draw, since in the end, the score is what matters in the end.

To make matters really interesting, perhaps instead of skating the same pattern twice, they skate two patterns once (eg- they do one lap with the finnstep, then the next lap is a paso doble). Then you can really see versatility in the compulsory dance.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
To make matters really interesting, perhaps instead of skating the same pattern twice, they skate two patterns once (eg- they do one lap with the finnstep, then the next lap is a paso doble). Then you can really see versatility in the compulsory dance.

I'm not sure that would work. One, you'd have no way to coordinate costumes (which we all have to admit does count a great deal).

Two, and this could just be me, but depending on the patterns it could get too messy. Like, say, you go from a Waltz to a Polka... the first team would start the polka pattern before the last team was done with the waltz. What would you do for music in that time that they'd be doing both patterns? AND what happens if the Waltz is going way too slow for a team or two and then the first team in that polka gets up against them... disaster!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Another problem with two teams on the ice at the same time is that they skate over each other's markings in the ice. the judges in compulories do look at the tracings left in the ice to see how good the turns were etc.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you'd be able to tell, though, with four teams who did what in a way...

maybe do like Joe has always pushed for. Judges on all sides/corners of the rink...

blue dog

Record Breaker
maybe do like Joe has always pushed for. Judges on all sides/corners of the rink...

I like this idea, also. In the figures days, judges were all around the skater skating the figure, so you didn't miss it. In ballroom dancing, the judges sometimes would circle the floor, to watch certain dancers.