Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Trends for the Olympic Season?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    440

    Trends for the Olympic Season?

    So now that Worlds is over, what trends do you think we'll be seeing for the Olympic season? Last time, the trends were Biellman-ia in any shape possible, haircutters, et. al.

    I'm forecasting:
    - 2A+3Toe
    - Harding camel
    - boat loads of transitions ala J. Rochette
    - tano toe loops/loops
    - three 2axels in the FS

    What do ya'll think? Man, it's going to be scary.

  2. #2
    Custom Title McWicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Harford, Maryland.
    Posts
    294
    More like exciting!!!!!! If my dream comes true... it's gonna be sooooo NICE to have 4 different world champs competing against each other in Vancouver: Meissner (2006); Ando (2007); Asada (2008) & my beloved Yuna (2009), all pressure on the last one for being the reigning world champ though.

    I love the ladies!!!!!!!! I really hope Meissner makes it!!!

  3. #3
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,098
    I remember once when Dick Button said something slightly inappropriate when describing the Harding Camel

  4. #4
    Eien.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    215
    I think Kim Yu-Na should try 3lz+3toe because since mao got defeated, it'll give her more motivation to beat everyone and to regain her past form, which was pretty good considering she could almost land every single jump in her LP, despite the hard-level entry on heraxel. Kim Yu-Na should do....
    3F+3T
    3lz+3t
    2A
    2A
    3lz
    3F+2t+2l
    2A or salchow.

    mao should do
    3a+2t
    3a
    3f+3l
    3lz+3t
    3f+2l+2l
    3lz
    3s

    i think this is good for both of them because since they are both training chronically and intensly, it'll cause them to keep upgrading they're difficult in they're jumps and spins and whatnot. I really think it'll come down to who has the audacity to go for the more harder elements and also who has the commitment to they're programs.

    i think mao asada will win and kim yu-na will lose and go to 2nd place.
    sorry for my english i am not so good w/ it, as i only got 1 year of english lessons, and i live in a country where english is not a day-to-day language that people use to communicate towards one and another.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipyramidal View Post
    I think Kim Yu-Na should try 3lz+3toe because since mao got defeated, it'll give her more motivation to beat everyone and to regain her past form, which was pretty good considering she could almost land every single jump in her LP, despite the hard-level entry on heraxel. Kim Yu-Na should do....
    3F+3T
    3lz+3t
    2A
    2A
    3lz
    3F+2t+2l
    2A or salchow.

    mao should do
    3a+2t
    3a
    3f+3l
    3lz+3t
    3f+2l+2l
    3lz
    3s

    i think this is good for both of them because since they are both training chronically and intensly, it'll cause them to keep upgrading they're difficult in they're jumps and spins and whatnot. I really think it'll come down to who has the audacity to go for the more harder elements and also who has the commitment to they're programs.

    i think mao asada will win and kim yu-na will lose and go to 2nd place.
    sorry for my english i am not so good w/ it, as i only got 1 year of english lessons, and i live in a country where english is not a day-to-day language that people use to communicate towards one and another.
    You totally forgot Zayak rule! According to your layout, Yuna repeats Lz, F and T and Mao repeats A, F and Lz.

    And I don't mind skaters doing 2A-3T. It is so beautiful combination. You can enjoy width and height altogether! (at least Yuna and Miki's cases.)
    Last edited by gourry; 03-30-2009 at 08:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Eien.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    You totally forgot Zayak rule! According to your layout, Yuna repeats Lz, F and T and Mao repeats A, F and Lz.

    And I don't mind skaters doing 2A-3T. It is so beautiful combination. You can enjoy width and height altogether! (at least Yuna and Miki's cases.)
    but mao already does 2 3 f in her lp and 2 3a in her long and yuna does 2lz too o.O.

  7. #7
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,357
    ^ You can repeat only two different jumps.

    I agree with DarkestMoon about the 2A+3T combination and the transitions a-la-Joannie and Patrick.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I remember once when Dick Button said something slightly inappropriate when describing the Harding Camel
    He called it a cross between a Hamill camel and a tipsy skater

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHAiMd9uzF8

    I wouldn't mind all of these trends if the skaters do it well as the trendsetter. Otherwise, pograms would look just as bleh as they do now.
    Last edited by cleopatra20042004; 03-30-2009 at 09:55 PM.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra20042004 View Post
    He called it a cross between a Hamill camel and a tipsy skater

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHAiMd9uzF8

    I wouldn't mind all of these trends if the skaters do it well as the trendsetter. Otherwise, pograms would look just as bleh as they do now.
    Very true. See, the Harding camel might become the next Biellman-ia of the Olympics and my god, that was scary. I didn't even know much about skating but I sure noticed the Biellmans.

    There were also a good deal of 2A sequences. I think there will be more because of how many skaters are doing them, Joannie, Alissa (planned), Candace and I swear there were others... Tugba?

  10. #10
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,892
    I predict lots of Carmens, Toscas and Romeo and Juliets!!!

  11. #11
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I predict lots of Carmens, Toscas and Romeo and Juliets!!!
    When we did a music trends thread a couple of months ago, the idea of using music from Canadian composers came up - except there aren't that many, and who knows if the audience will recongnize any of it as being Canadian! But the options I came up with were Howard Shore of LotR fame, and Mychael Danna, who among his credits did the score for Ararat - Jeffrey Buttle's FD music.

    I predict a lot of nervous skaters. And a lot of Lori Nichol programs, because she appears to have the system pretty well figured out. And all the dance couples doing that boring level 4 lift we kept seeing this year.

  12. #12
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    i predict that the lades will all be trying the Alissa spiral, the ouside edge classic position into the foward charlotte and most of them will fail misrabley but still get the points.

    as for the second 3/3 for yu-na...she dosen't need it. If she can get a world record with a popped jump and a non-existant spin, why bother? she just needs to be reasonably clean.

    I think that Mao should be doing a 3/3 in her LP though. trying to make it without a lutz or a 3/3 is tough. She is relying soley on her 2 triple axels, one of which will almost always be downgraded, even if landed. She needs to at least try a triple triple and stop worring about the flutz so much.

  13. #13
    Eien.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    i predict that the lades will all be trying the Alissa spiral, the ouside edge classic position into the foward charlotte and most of them will fail misrabley but still get the points.

    as for the second 3/3 for yu-na...she dosen't need it. If she can get a world record with a popped jump and a non-existant spin, why bother? she just needs to be reasonably clean.

    I think that Mao should be doing a 3/3 in her LP though. trying to make it without a lutz or a 3/3 is tough. She is relying soley on her 2 triple axels, one of which will almost always be downgraded, even if landed. She needs to at least try a triple triple and stop worring about the flutz so much.
    If I were Mao, I would just screw doing the proper lutz, just do the flutz!!! She gets more points doing a flutz than a double lutz, but at the same time i can sympathize what she's trying. It is very difficult to correct an edge problem, I've been trying for a year or so, and i finally go it :D.

    ok thank everyone for reminding about the rule.

    kim yuna should do
    3F+3T
    3F
    3lz+3t
    3lz
    2A
    3s+2t+2l
    3l.

    mao should do
    3a+2t
    3a
    3f+3l
    3f+3t
    3lz
    2a
    3s+2l+2l
    Last edited by Dipyramidal; 03-31-2009 at 02:10 PM.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipyramidal View Post
    If I were Mao, I would just screw doing the proper lutz, just do the flutz!!! She gets more points doing a flutz than a double lutz, but at the same time i can sympathize what she's trying. It is very difficult to correct an edge problem, I've been trying for a year or so, and i finally go it :D.

    ok thank everyone for reminding about the rule.

    kim yuna should do
    3F+3T
    3F
    3lz+3t
    3lz
    2A
    3s+2t+2l
    3l.

    mao should do
    3a+2t
    3a
    3f+3l
    3f+3t
    3lz
    2a
    3s+2l+2l
    Dear Dipyramidal,
    As much as I like your jump layout, Yuna is still repeating 3 different jumps. And Mao is doing 4 combination jumps. I know, it's really confusing.
    Maybe Mao can try your jump layout except the combination jumps after 3S.

  15. #15
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,044
    The interesting thing with COP is that the summer always seems to bring rule changes.

    Some possibilities:

    The rule on twizzles change. We might see an extra level for more rotations. However, what I expect to see is twizzles being done both clockwise and counterclockwise on one foot getting more credit than any other kind. (I expect this because DomShabs & K&N do them this way. And it is hard.)

    I hope the rule on singles spins is clarified. I was not happy to see both Yu Na and Rachael get caught in technicalities that way.

    Quads and triple axels need higher base values. Especially in pairs throws, where they got higher penalties with no increase to the base value this year.

    I'd like to see a bonus for doing a jump from each entrance in the LP (lutz, flip, salchow, axel, toe loop, and loop)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •