Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trends for the Olympic Season?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Trends for the Olympic Season?

So now that Worlds is over, what trends do you think we'll be seeing for the Olympic season? Last time, the trends were Biellman-ia in any shape possible, haircutters, et. al.

I'm forecasting:
    - 2A+3Toe
    - Harding camel
    - boat loads of transitions ala J. Rochette
    - tano toe loops/loops
    - three 2axels in the FS

What do ya'll think? Man, it's going to be scary.

More like exciting!!!!!! If my dream comes true... it's gonna be sooooo NICE to have 4 different world champs competing against each other in Vancouver: Meissner (2006); Ando (2007); Asada (2008) & my beloved Yuna (2009), all pressure on the last one for being the reigning world champ though.

I love the ladies!!!!!!!! I really hope Meissner makes it!!!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I remember once when Dick Button said something slightly inappropriate when describing the Harding Camel

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I remember once when Dick Button said something slightly inappropriate when describing the Harding Camel
    He called it a cross between a Hamill camel and a tipsy skater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHAiMd9uzF8

I wouldn't mind all of these trends if the skaters do it well as the trendsetter. Otherwise, pograms would look just as bleh as they do now.
    Last edited by cleopatra20042004; 03-30-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra20042004 View Post
    He called it a cross between a Hamill camel and a tipsy skater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHAiMd9uzF8

I wouldn't mind all of these trends if the skaters do it well as the trendsetter. Otherwise, pograms would look just as bleh as they do now.
    Very true. See, the Harding camel might become the next Biellman-ia of the Olympics and my god, that was scary. I didn't even know much about skating but I sure noticed the Biellmans.

There were also a good deal of 2A sequences. I think there will be more because of how many skaters are doing them, Joannie, Alissa (planned), Candace and I swear there were others... Tugba?

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I predict lots of Carmens, Toscas and Romeo and Juliets!!!

Eien.
    I think Kim Yu-Na should try 3lz+3toe because since mao got defeated, it'll give her more motivation to beat everyone and to regain her past form, which was pretty good considering she could almost land every single jump in her LP, despite the hard-level entry on heraxel. Kim Yu-Na should do....
    3F+3T
    3lz+3t
    2A
    2A
    3lz
    3F+2t+2l
    2A or salchow.

mao should do
    3a+2t
    3a
    3f+3l
    3lz+3t
    3f+2l+2l
    3lz
    3s

i think this is good for both of them because since they are both training chronically and intensly, it'll cause them to keep upgrading they're difficult in they're jumps and spins and whatnot. I really think it'll come down to who has the audacity to go for the more harder elements and also who has the commitment to they're programs.

i think mao asada will win and kim yu-na will lose and go to 2nd place.
    sorry for my english i am not so good w/ it, as i only got 1 year of english lessons, and i live in a country where english is not a day-to-day language that people use to communicate towards one and another.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipyramidal View Post
    I think Kim Yu-Na should try 3lz+3toe because since mao got defeated, it'll give her more motivation to beat everyone and to regain her past form, which was pretty good considering she could almost land every single jump in her LP, despite the hard-level entry on heraxel. Kim Yu-Na should do....
    3F+3T
    3lz+3t
    2A
    2A
    3lz
    3F+2t+2l
    2A or salchow.

mao should do
    3a+2t
    3a
    3f+3l
    3lz+3t
    3f+2l+2l
    3lz
    3s

i think this is good for both of them because since they are both training chronically and intensly, it'll cause them to keep upgrading they're difficult in they're jumps and spins and whatnot. I really think it'll come down to who has the audacity to go for the more harder elements and also who has the commitment to they're programs.

i think mao asada will win and kim yu-na will lose and go to 2nd place.
    sorry for my english i am not so good w/ it, as i only got 1 year of english lessons, and i live in a country where english is not a day-to-day language that people use to communicate towards one and another.
    You totally forgot Zayak rule! According to your layout, Yuna repeats Lz, F and T and Mao repeats A, F and Lz.

And I don't mind skaters doing 2A-3T. It is so beautiful combination. You can enjoy width and height altogether! (at least Yuna and Miki's cases.)
    Last edited by gourry; 03-30-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Eien.
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    You totally forgot Zayak rule! According to your layout, Yuna repeats Lz, F and T and Mao repeats A, F and Lz.

And I don't mind skaters doing 2A-3T. It is so beautiful combination. You can enjoy width and height altogether! (at least Yuna and Miki's cases.)
    but mao already does 2 3 f in her lp and 2 3a in her long and yuna does 2lz too o.O.

^ You can repeat only two different jumps.

I agree with DarkestMoon about the 2A+3T combination and the transitions a-la-Joannie and Patrick.

[QUOTE=
    - boat loads of transitions ala J. Rochette
    - l:[/QUOTE]

I can only dream. IMO, she is the only skater with any real style. Given the sad state of US skating, Kwan ought to come back. Then again - her transitions waned towards the end. Still, I'd take her.

Oh - I'm surprised folks haven't commented on Sarah Meier's skate - Very nice given the fact she'd been off the ice for 11 weeks and decided to skate at worlds to secure the Swiss a spot in Canada. She placed in the top 10! Wonder what she would have placed if she had actually trained.

Custom Title
    I'm hoping for proper jumping technque after all the dinging

I'm hoping for skaters only trying jumps they are regularly successful with and not hoping for rotation being credited becaus they aren't sure if they can get it or not (ie, if you don't regularly fully rotate, don't do it!)

As odd as this sounds, more yet less quads. I think the quad won't be the focus, but I think more skaters will try it early on (like Patrick) but if no success, it will be removed from programs to ensure cleanliness at the big O's

I'm hoping for no attempts at Canadian themed music. Really... do we need to hear lots of "My Heart Will Go On" or Brian Adams music?

My biggest hope is for well skated, exciting events. Hopefully that will be a trend.

I think a big trend will be unpredictability. There is no clear frontrunner in Mens (about 10 men could win on any given day). There is dance unpredictability and Womens unpredictability. And Pairs for the most part too. I love that!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post

I'm hoping for no attempts at Canadian themed music. Really... do we need to hear lots of "My Heart Will Go On" or Brian Adams music?
    Umm...Glenn Gould? I know he was mainly a performer but what is wrong with his Canadian music? Howard Shore? Also, I would love for Virtue and Moir to skate a Canadian folk music original dance! There is a lot of good music out there that has Canadian origins. Maybe you should do some research on Canadian music before making such a statement.

Eien.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    I can only dream. IMO, she is the only skater with any real style. Given the sad state of US skating, Kwan ought to come back. Then again - her transitions waned towards the end. Still, I'd take her.

Oh - I'm surprised folks haven't commented on Sarah Meier's skate - Very nice given the fact she'd been off the ice for 11 weeks and decided to skate at worlds to secure the Swiss a spot in Canada. She placed in the top 10! Wonder what she would have placed if she had actually trained.
    i think kim and mao has good style.

Custom Title
    The trend will probably be the continuation of "classicism" (use of classical music) and "tango mania". IMO we will hear a lot of Saint-Saens, Dvorak, Kachuturian, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky... and a lot of Cumparsita, Jalousie, Adios Nonino.

I don't think skaters will start a new trend next season. Maybe after the Olympics. Who knows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast