Trends for the Olympic Season? | Golden Skate

Trends for the Olympic Season?

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
So now that Worlds is over, what trends do you think we'll be seeing for the Olympic season? Last time, the trends were Biellman-ia in any shape possible, haircutters, et. al.

I'm forecasting:
- 2A+3Toe
- Harding camel
- boat loads of transitions ala J. Rochette
- tano toe loops/loops
- three 2axels in the FS

What do ya'll think? Man, it's going to be scary. :rofl:

McWicked

On the Ice
More like exciting!!!!!! If my dream comes true... it's gonna be sooooo NICE to have 4 different world champs competing against each other in Vancouver: Meissner (2006); Ando (2007); Asada (2008) & my beloved Yuna (2009), all pressure on the last one for being the reigning world champ though.

I love the ladies!!!!!!!! I really hope Meissner makes it!!!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I remember once when Dick Button said something slightly inappropriate when describing the Harding Camel

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
I think Kim Yu-Na should try 3lz+3toe because since mao got defeated, it'll give her more motivation to beat everyone and to regain her past form, which was pretty good considering she could almost land every single jump in her LP, despite the hard-level entry on heraxel. Kim Yu-Na should do....
3F+3T
3lz+3t
2A
2A
3lz
3F+2t+2l
2A or salchow.

mao should do
3a+2t
3a
3f+3l
3lz+3t
3f+2l+2l
3lz
3s

i think this is good for both of them because since they are both training chronically and intensly, it'll cause them to keep upgrading they're difficult in they're jumps and spins and whatnot. I really think it'll come down to who has the audacity to go for the more harder elements and also who has the commitment to they're programs.

i think mao asada will win and kim yu-na will lose and go to 2nd place.
sorry for my english i am not so good w/ it, as i only got 1 year of english lessons, and i live in a country where english is not a day-to-day language that people use to communicate towards one and another.

gourry

Final Flight
I think Kim Yu-Na should try 3lz+3toe because since mao got defeated, it'll give her more motivation to beat everyone and to regain her past form, which was pretty good considering she could almost land every single jump in her LP, despite the hard-level entry on heraxel. Kim Yu-Na should do....
3F+3T
3lz+3t
2A
2A
3lz
3F+2t+2l
2A or salchow.

mao should do
3a+2t
3a
3f+3l
3lz+3t
3f+2l+2l
3lz
3s

i think this is good for both of them because since they are both training chronically and intensly, it'll cause them to keep upgrading they're difficult in they're jumps and spins and whatnot. I really think it'll come down to who has the audacity to go for the more harder elements and also who has the commitment to they're programs.

i think mao asada will win and kim yu-na will lose and go to 2nd place.
sorry for my english i am not so good w/ it, as i only got 1 year of english lessons, and i live in a country where english is not a day-to-day language that people use to communicate towards one and another.

You totally forgot Zayak rule! :p According to your layout, Yuna repeats Lz, F and T and Mao repeats A, F and Lz.

And I don't mind skaters doing 2A-3T. It is so beautiful combination. You can enjoy width and height altogether! (at least Yuna and Miki's cases.)

Last edited:

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
You totally forgot Zayak rule! :p According to your layout, Yuna repeats Lz, F and T and Mao repeats A, F and Lz.

And I don't mind skaters doing 2A-3T. It is so beautiful combination. You can enjoy width and height altogether! (at least Yuna and Miki's cases.)

but mao already does 2 3 f in her lp and 2 3a in her long and yuna does 2lz too o_O.

^ You can repeat only two different jumps. :)

I agree with DarkestMoon about the 2A+3T combination and the transitions a-la-Joannie and Patrick.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
He called it a cross between a Hamill camel and a tipsy skater :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHAiMd9uzF8

I wouldn't mind all of these trends if the skaters do it well as the trendsetter. Otherwise, pograms would look just as bleh as they do now.

Very true. See, the Harding camel might become the next Biellman-ia of the Olympics and my god, that was scary. I didn't even know much about skating but I sure noticed the Biellmans. :laugh:

There were also a good deal of 2A sequences. I think there will be more because of how many skaters are doing them, Joannie, Alissa (planned), Candace and I swear there were others... Tugba?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I predict lots of Carmens, Toscas and Romeo and Juliets!!!
When we did a music trends thread a couple of months ago, the idea of using music from Canadian composers came up - except there aren't that many, and who knows if the audience will recongnize any of it as being Canadian! But the options I came up with were Howard Shore of LotR fame, and Mychael Danna, who among his credits did the score for Ararat - Jeffrey Buttle's FD music.

I predict a lot of nervous skaters. And a lot of Lori Nichol programs, because she appears to have the system pretty well figured out. And all the dance couples doing that boring level 4 lift we kept seeing this year.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i predict that the lades will all be trying the Alissa spiral, the ouside edge classic position into the foward charlotte and most of them will fail misrabley but still get the points.

as for the second 3/3 for yu-na...she dosen't need it. If she can get a world record with a popped jump and a non-existant spin, why bother? she just needs to be reasonably clean.

I think that Mao should be doing a 3/3 in her LP though. trying to make it without a lutz or a 3/3 is tough. She is relying soley on her 2 triple axels, one of which will almost always be downgraded, even if landed. She needs to at least try a triple triple and stop worring about the flutz so much.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
i predict that the lades will all be trying the Alissa spiral, the ouside edge classic position into the foward charlotte and most of them will fail misrabley but still get the points.

as for the second 3/3 for yu-na...she dosen't need it. If she can get a world record with a popped jump and a non-existant spin, why bother? she just needs to be reasonably clean.

I think that Mao should be doing a 3/3 in her LP though. trying to make it without a lutz or a 3/3 is tough. She is relying soley on her 2 triple axels, one of which will almost always be downgraded, even if landed. She needs to at least try a triple triple and stop worring about the flutz so much.

If I were Mao, I would just screw doing the proper lutz, just do the flutz!!! She gets more points doing a flutz than a double lutz, but at the same time i can sympathize what she's trying. It is very difficult to correct an edge problem, I've been trying for a year or so, and i finally go it :D.

ok thank everyone for reminding about the rule.

kim yuna should do
3F+3T
3F
3lz+3t
3lz
2A
3s+2t+2l
3l.

mao should do
3a+2t
3a
3f+3l
3f+3t
3lz
2a
3s+2l+2l

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
If I were Mao, I would just screw doing the proper lutz, just do the flutz!!! She gets more points doing a flutz than a double lutz, but at the same time i can sympathize what she's trying. It is very difficult to correct an edge problem, I've been trying for a year or so, and i finally go it :D.

ok thank everyone for reminding about the rule.

kim yuna should do
3F+3T
3F
3lz+3t
3lz
2A
3s+2t+2l
3l.

mao should do
3a+2t
3a
3f+3l
3f+3t
3lz
2a
3s+2l+2l

Dear Dipyramidal,
As much as I like your jump layout, Yuna is still repeating 3 different jumps. And Mao is doing 4 combination jumps. :laugh: I know, it's really confusing.
Maybe Mao can try your jump layout except the combination jumps after 3S.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The interesting thing with COP is that the summer always seems to bring rule changes.

Some possibilities:

The rule on twizzles change. We might see an extra level for more rotations. However, what I expect to see is twizzles being done both clockwise and counterclockwise on one foot getting more credit than any other kind. (I expect this because DomShabs & K&N do them this way. And it is hard.)

I hope the rule on singles spins is clarified. I was not happy to see both Yu Na and Rachael get caught in technicalities that way.

Quads and triple axels need higher base values. Especially in pairs throws, where they got higher penalties with no increase to the base value this year.

I'd like to see a bonus for doing a jump from each entrance in the LP (lutz, flip, salchow, axel, toe loop, and loop)

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Clean jump techniques with no underrotations or wrong edges - if this can be called a "trend". And yes, lots of tano styles which I love.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
- boat loads of transitions ala J. Rochette - l:[/QUOTE said:
I can only dream. IMO, she is the only skater with any real style. Given the sad state of US skating, Kwan ought to come back. Then again - her transitions waned towards the end. Still, I'd take her.

Oh - I'm surprised folks haven't commented on Sarah Meier's skate - Very nice given the fact she'd been off the ice for 11 weeks and decided to skate at worlds to secure the Swiss a spot in Canada. She placed in the top 10! Wonder what she would have placed if she had actually trained.

screech

Final Flight
I'm hoping for proper jumping technque after all the dinging

I'm hoping for skaters only trying jumps they are regularly successful with and not hoping for rotation being credited becaus they aren't sure if they can get it or not (ie, if you don't regularly fully rotate, don't do it!)

As odd as this sounds, more yet less quads. I think the quad won't be the focus, but I think more skaters will try it early on (like Patrick) but if no success, it will be removed from programs to ensure cleanliness at the big O's

I'm hoping for no attempts at Canadian themed music. Really... do we need to hear lots of "My Heart Will Go On" or Brian Adams music?

My biggest hope is for well skated, exciting events. Hopefully that will be a trend.

I think a big trend will be unpredictability. There is no clear frontrunner in Mens (about 10 men could win on any given day). There is dance unpredictability and Womens unpredictability. And Pairs for the most part too. I love that!

skatingbc

Final Flight
I'm hoping for no attempts at Canadian themed music. Really... do we need to hear lots of "My Heart Will Go On" or Brian Adams music?

Umm...Glenn Gould? I know he was mainly a performer but what is wrong with his Canadian music? Howard Shore? Also, I would love for Virtue and Moir to skate a Canadian folk music original dance! There is a lot of good music out there that has Canadian origins. Maybe you should do some research on Canadian music before making such a statement.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
I can only dream. IMO, she is the only skater with any real style. Given the sad state of US skating, Kwan ought to come back. Then again - her transitions waned towards the end. Still, I'd take her.

Oh - I'm surprised folks haven't commented on Sarah Meier's skate - Very nice given the fact she'd been off the ice for 11 weeks and decided to skate at worlds to secure the Swiss a spot in Canada. She placed in the top 10! Wonder what she would have placed if she had actually trained.

i think kim and mao has good style.