Cambpell's Reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Cambpell's Reports

Ximena

Final Flight
Thanx for all the reports...so happy that Plushy won :D

Vika was never scheduled for this event, Irina was. It was three internationals skaters and three americans, when Irina pulled out, they put Jenny Kirk instead.

Now I can only wonder how long it will take for someone to start a new thread: "Has Sasha peaked too soon?"

You know what would be cool? Sasha and AP should get together and one of them do the bad swan and one do the good swan, both in appropiate costume and music selection.

OK, so it's not exacly knee-bashing, but it might be a fun challenge.

Mathman

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I for one can't wait to see Michael's new program (ducking)....42

curious

Final Flight
if Plush had an average skate with 2 quads I don't want to see what the others like Tim very boring skate did.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
nysk8r said:
Here's an extreeeeemely late report......(from a first timer)

Sasha Cohen: First off, I love her dress in that it is so effective in portraying both the black and white swan. Halfway through the program, she spins and places her arms in such a position that, in a way, you she her switch from Odette to Odile (or is it the other way around?).
It was great to read your review :)

In the ballet, she changes twice: once from Odette (good* swan) to Odile (bad* swan) to Odette again.

*good: betrayed in love, captured by an evil sorceror, in charge of convincing a bunch of testosterone-laden hunters from blowing away her flock, forced to be a swan for half the day, and totally under the influence of the sorceror.

*bad: independent, strong, unshakeable, athletic, convincing actress, partner in crime with Dad, manipulates the dumb guy. In other words, baaaad.

They're usually described as the "White Swan" and the "Black Swan," but in the original productions up through the 40's (I think), Odile was dressed in red and gold, not black, and there were black and white swans in the flock.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Some posters on FSU are saying that Elena landed no triples, in which case the marks are quite *high*. Those who were there, plese confirm?

I wouldn't call a two quad performance from Plush "average." The two errors might make it less than what one might expect from him, but "average?" Nah. I'm sure he blew all the other men away.

Tim & Queen. Not a good match. I love Queen. Tim puts me to sleep.

Laura :)

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
When is this scheduled to air on tv and what channel please if anyone can post. Thanks in advance.

dewet

Final Flight
Mistyeyed, if you're in the US, ABC will be covering it at October 13th from 1-3.

dfj

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Plushenko had an average skate. Two footed his first quad, two-footed or fell out of several other jumps, did a gorgeous 3Axel, and even for a “less than best” performance was still thrilling to watch.

Average Plushy - God, what does that make everyone else?

Funny how we expect this kid to be exceptional each time he steps onto the ice - two quads, a step-out or two, and he's average. Other skaters would kill for those elements.

You go Evgeny - next up, Skate Canada, and we can hardly wait for you to get here!!!

curious

Final Flight
Evgeny had a fantastic skate with a bad knee. Tim skating to Queen one of my fave bands is embarrasing. Freddie had the personality and style Tim lacks.:eek:

Ximena

Final Flight
I love Queen but I can't stand see Tim's skating (with the exception of his performance at worlds). I liked the program that Tim used for the Crest Challenge, too bad he only used that one time.

I was happy that Evgeni skated at all, I though he was going to withdrawn after all the reports of injuries that he is having, but it seems that even with injuries, he can manage to make a great performance

dfj said:
Average Plushy - God, what does that make everyone else?

Funny how we expect this kid to be exceptional each time he steps onto the ice - two quads, a step-out or two, and he's average. Other skaters would kill for those elements.

You go Evgeny - next up, Skate Canada, and we can hardly wait for you to get here!!!
Dfj,
LOL, I should have said "Average skate for Plush." Of course he's heads and shoulders above everyone else. He was clearly hampered by the knee injury he sustained last month, but I'll take this opportunity to give Plush major props for giving the performance his all and taking this "cheezfest" seriously, even if the medal doesn't mean much. Not that the other skaters didn't also take it seriously--obviously they all did--I just think this competition is too early in the season. I would like to see the format revamped or something because really, out of the 12 performances (though I missed the first three, going on the descriptions), we only got three good performances (Plush, Michelle, Sasha). Just like last year, it was mostly a splatfest. The exhibitions by Scott & Dulebohn and Belbin & Agosto were actually better than most of the competitive performances. So I hope the USFSA does some rethinking about Campbells. It's great to have an early season competition and give the skaters a chance to debut their new programs at an event that isn't as high pressure as the GP events. But I wish the USFSA could find a way to have this event without the high percentage of poor performances.
Rgirl

Hockeyfan,
LOL, indeed I did not sleep Friday night/Saturday morning until after I'd watched "Seven Samurai" (ate dinner while watching) and "Yojimbo" and written my Campbell's report. I'd taken my nap in the afternoon so I could rock all night.

You asked about the COP. This event was judged using the 6.0 system. I think I read somewhere, but don't quote me, that there were ISU judges using the COP system to compare their results to those of the 6.0 system judges, but I'm sure we'd never see those COP results if they actually did this.

When you talk about the Act IV pas de deux from "Swan Lake" I guess you mean where Odette forgives Siegfried, yes? I know NYCB redid "SL" in '99 using Denmark's modern painter Per Kirkeby to design décor and costumes and casting "SL" in an abstract setting that is very different from the moonlit glens and baroque ballrooms in the traditional "SL." I think it's a really cool production, especially the way Peter Martins' staging connects Acts I to II and Acts III and IV which I think results in more fluid story telling, and only one intermission instead of the usual three. But if you're right that the Act IV pas de deux is often cut from four-act "Swan Lakes" and I don't know why, unless it's to focus on all the group dancing in Act IV. In the all-male (almost all male) version by Matthew Bourne, the Act IV pas de deux between the male Odette and male Seigfried is so sexually charged that--well, let's just say it's unforgettable. Actually, the Act IV pas de deux music might be in there. I wasn't listening for specifics and frankly got so pulled in to the performance that I just know what I didn't hear (no "Little Swans," no Act II "Calling All Swans," etc).

I like the version Tarasova put together, but just to be clear since a couple of people mentioned it, the "Swan Lake" theme (Mathman, take it away! Laaa-la-la...) is not completely absent, it's just not the big Act II giganto theme that is often used as a subsitute for Ipecac.

Thanks for your comments:)

Nysk8er,
You asked about people seeming to fall mostly near the K&C and if anybody was sitting near there. I was. Had a seat on about the 15 yard line, 3rd row and indeed saw several falls right in front of me. I don't think there was a problem with the ice, since the skaters who did well had no problem in that area. I just don't want anybody to even think about blaming the MSG Zamboni! The MSG Zamboni gets bashed all the time and nobody does a thing about it! (Just kidding:)) Seriously, I think it was the same problem as last year: Event scheduled very early in the season.

To Everyone Who Said Thanks for the Report,
Thanks back. It was fun writing it, even if I did goof on some of the details (thanks to those who corrected my mistakes). When we all see it on TV, of course, people may mightily disagree. I might even say, "Hey, that's not what I say at the Garden!" From past experiences of going to competitions and then watching the event on TV, things sure can look different.
Rgirl

Kwanette & Nymkfan51,
Thanks for coming by GS to say "Hi!" As I posted on MKF, it was a blast running into you guys. Great to put faces with fonts. Hope we "see" more of each other on the boards. BTW, Kwanette, I still haven't gotten my GS celebrity limo, lol.
Rgirl