Adult Pre-Bronze FS question | Golden Skate

Adult Pre-Bronze FS question

OHgal

Rinkside
The rules don't state how long the program for Pre-Bronze FS should be. In fact, to me it sounds like you shouldn't even use music! Can someone please help me out? Thanks!

Icechick86

Rinkside
Hey guys! I have another question relating to the adult levels...I'm looking to start testing soon so that I can compete. But I taught myself when I was younger so I've never taken any USFSA tests. I'm not sure if I should take the "standard track" or the "adult track." Does anyone know what the difference is? Also, do you need to pass each level before moving up or can you just test at a given level? I wasn't able to find that info on the USFSA website. I'm new at the whole testing procedure so any advice is appreciated!

Clarice

Rinkside
You can test on either the standard or adult tracks. If you've never tested before, you need to start at the lowest level. You can test all the way through the Moves tests in order, but you cannot take a Free Skating test unless you've first passed the corresponding Moves test.

If you start on the standard track, there are various crossover points where you can move over to the adult tests without starting all over again from the bottom. If you start on the adult track, once you've passed Gold Moves you switch over to the standard track at Intermediate.

You can start competing without having taken any tests at all. Most nonqualifying competitions allow you to "skate up" a level, so you could enter an adult Pre-Bronze event without having passed the test. You'll need to be at least Bronze level to compete at Adult Nationals, though.

If you're confused, keep asking questions! There are plenty of us here who will be glad to explain things.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, while you can begin competing by skating up a level, you cannot compete at a qualifying competition without having passed the appropriate level. In other words, for Adult Nationals, you must have passed either the Bronze FS test or the Preliminary FS test in order to be eligible to compete in the Bronze FS event. You cannot pass Pre-pre or Prebronze and skate FS at Adult Nationals. The same is true for some Adult Sectional events and/or some complete Adult Sectionals (one year was test level ONLY - no skating up but for non-qualifying events at Sectionals, it is the host club's discretion on the announcement).

The major difference between the adult track and the standard track up to Juvenile is that for the most part, the adult track MIF is more designed for an adult skater (so, for example, you won't see spirals until Silver MIF versus Prepre on the standard track because this is typically something adults struggle with) and on the FS tests, there are more options (the spin combination is not defined on Silver versus Prejuvenile, the jumps on Bronze are a skater's discretion, etc).

Icechick86

Rinkside
If you start on the standard track, there are various crossover points where you can move over to the adult tests without starting all over again from the bottom. If you start on the adult track, once you've passed Gold Moves you switch over to the standard track at Intermediate.

Got another question- where are the crossover points to switch from the standard track to the adult track? I was thinking of starting on the standard but I think I may want to switch to the adult eventually, because like you guys said, it is geared more towards adults. Ahh I'm still not sure which track to do! Lol...

Clarice

Rinkside
From the test section of the Rule Book:
TR 28.00 Free Skate Test Rules
TR 28.01 Prior to taking standard free skate tests, candidates must have taken and passed at least the equivalent level standard moves in the field test. Prior to taking adult free skate tests, candidates must have taken and passed at least the equivalent standard or adult moves in the field test as shown in the following chart.
Prerequisite - Adult Free Skate Test
Preliminary MIF or adult pre-bronze MIF - Adult pre-bronze FS
Pre-juvenile MIF or adult bronze MIF - Adult bronze FS
Juvenile MIF or adult silver MIF - Adult silver FS
Intermediate MIF or adult gold MIF - Adult gold FS
A. An adult skater who has passed the standard free skate test may cross over to the adult track as follows:
Standard FS test passed - Must then pass either - To take this adult test:
Pre-preliminary FS - Preliminary MIF or adult pre-bronze MIF - Adult pre-bronze FS
Preliminary FS - Pre-juvenile MIF or adult bronze MIF - Adult bronze FS
Pre-juvenile FS - Juvenile MIF or adult silver MIF - Adult silver FS
Juvenile FS - Intermediate MIF or adult gold MIF - Adult gold FS

I hope that's clear - I couldn't type out the chart exactly the way it's laid out in the Rule Book.

Last edited:

uss8

Spectator
I would recommend attending a test session and se how things are done in your area. I would also ask your coach to be honest with you about whether or not they think you should go standard track or adult track.

We sometimes have a hard time assessing our own skill level objectively ( either we think we are better or worse than we really are). Asking your coach to help you with this choice would be prudent.

Good Luck!

Icechick86

Rinkside
Thanks for the info! My coach is working with me to figure out all the details with testing but she is new to the USFSA tracks as well. I like the idea of attending a test session. I think that would help a lot, especially with nerves! Thanks again!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Maybe you should have your coach consult with a coach more conversant with the US Figure Skating test structure? A lot of coaches I have seen (typically those who have immigrated from Europe without a MIF test structure but sometimes those who are moving over from ISI) who are putting out their first US Figure Skating tests understand the diagrams but not the specifics of what the passing standards actually entail. As such, there are a lot of tests that "look like the diagrams" but aren't skated to passing standard and the skaters go through a number of retries as the coach is figuring it all out. This is frustrating for the skater, coach, AND judges and can really give the judges a bad impression of both skater and coach. Just a suggestion.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Maybe you should have your coach consult with a coach more conversant with the US Figure Skating test structure? A lot of coaches I have seen (typically those who have immigrated from Europe without a MIF test structure but sometimes those who are moving over from ISI) who are putting out their first US Figure Skating tests understand the diagrams but not the specifics of what the passing standards actually entail. As such, there are a lot of tests that "look like the diagrams" but aren't skated to passing standard and the skaters go through a number of retries as the coach is figuring it all out. This is frustrating for the skater, coach, AND judges and can really give the judges a bad impression of both skater and coach. Just a suggestion.

That is VERY good advice. Doing the moves isn't that difficult, but doing them to the exacting standards that the judges are looking for is quite a challenge. Here is the type of guideline judges use for judging the tests, just to give you an idea:
http://www.usfsa.org/content/MIFSchoolManual.pdf
However, please note that this is from 2002 so there have been some changes to the moves that are on the various tests. It should give you an idea of what they are looking for, though.

justpat

Spectator
Great info in that link. It helps to understand what the judges are looking for.
Here's another link that has video of the adult moves and other info.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/programs.asp?id=316
Keep in mind that the videos may not show the passing standard. But there's also clips of common errors here too. This was put together before the recent changes that will go into effect on Sept 2, 2010. (I'm glad they pushed back the implementation date. I would like to test the moves I've been training and I was afraid I would have to re-learn the 8-step if I didn't test before this Sept.)

Speaking of the changes--
Quote from the Board of Governers meeting:

125. APPROVED AS AMENDED - Adult Skating Committee
Amend rules TR 25.09-TR 25.11 (pages 22-25 Tests Book) to align adult moves in the field with the proposed
standard track moves in the field revisions.
TR 25.09 Adult Pre Bronze Moves in the Field Test
1. Forward perimeter stroking
2. Basic consecutive edges
3. Forward and backward crossovers – combined figure eight pattern
4. Waltz eight
5. Forward three turns
TR 25.10 Adult Bronze Moves in the Field
1. Forward perimeter power crossover stroking REMOVED
1. Forward and backward perimeter power crossover stroking
2. Forward power three-turns
3. Alternating back crossovers to back outside edges – condensed pattern
4. Forward circle eight
5. Five-step mohawk sequence – condensed pattern
TR 25.11 Adult Silver Moves in the Field
1. Eight-step mohawk sequence – figure eight pattern
2. Forward and backward free skating cross strokes
3. FO-BI three-turns in the field
4. FI-BO three-turns in the field
5. Forward right and left foot spirals
6. Forward and backward power change of edge pulls
126. APPROVED AS AMENDED - Moves in the Field Task Force
Implementation of all Moves in the Field changes: September 2, 2010

These links shows the new revisions to Adult Moves--
List of moves:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/2009-10 Adult MIF Revisions.pdf

Details with links to videos:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?sid=42287

I hope this isn't TMI. I don't post often, so I can get carried away when I do finally have something to say!:laugh: