Edea Skates? | Golden Skate

Edea Skates?

cBrittSK8

Spectator
Curious if anyone here has had any experience with Edea skates? We saw them at Worlds and were amazed at how light and comfortable they were! My daughter has had custom Harlick's since age 10 (she is now 22), but has complained of foot problems for the past few years. She's had her skates stretched, punched out, etc., but to no avail. She can barely stand to be on the ice for more than 20 minutes without having to get off and massage her feet, and it is really wreaking havoc on her skating.

She's contemplating trying the Edeas (which cost about 1/2 the price of custom Harlicks), but I told her she should ask around first. Unfortunately, since they don't seem to be very well known in the states, she's not had much luck.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

alopatra

Rinkside
I would definitely encourage your daughter to try the skates. I have Edea skates myself and I think it was a great choice. Back in 2006 I started to take figure skating classes for the first time and needed good skates. I asked other people for advice because I had no clue which skates would be appropriate. At that time Edea was new on the market in the Czech Republic and a lot of people started to use them because it was easy to adjust to them (compared to other skates). I can't compare myself because I don't have any experience with other skates. A friend of mine had Risport before and said it was too heavy compared to Edea. But it also might depend what level (skatingwise) your daughter is. I only have the basic version of the skates for beginners (Edea Overture) so I can't tell you anything about the others. Our coach (who competed as a pairs skater in Nagano and Salt Lake City Olympics and skated professionally in the US for a couple of years) told us that top athlets do not use Edea skates very much because they get damaged soon. She recommended Risport instead which is understandable though because that's what she was using all her career ;). But I remember seeing skaters wearing Edea skates in photos from Euros/Worlds ...

P.S. She has to get off the ice for every 20 minutes :eek:?, that must be irritating ...

Last edited:

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I've always been using Risport but I have been told that Edea are good for people with wide feet and that they are more comfortable. I don't know if their top boot is as stiff as risport rf2 super though, I have no idea, but I can tell you a lot of top skaters in Europe are using Edea. I think about Kira Korpi, Samuel Contesti, Yannick Ponsero and Patrick Chan- as of year 2008. Also Maria Mukhortova used to have Edea boots.

c_e_ahlen

On the Ice
I've had Edeas for the past 6 years and LOVE them. No problems what so ever breaking them in, and very little problems. I also had huge problems with my old skates, Risports, got severe cramps in the ball of my foot after like 20 minutes and had to get off. These took care of my problems in a heartbeat. I've always had Concerto, which I believe is the firmest type.

I love that they are so light, and I kinda like how they look, I know people in the US think they are butt-ugly, but I like them a lot. A lot more attractive than some other brands, especially now when they are finally completely white.
I usually get two seasons out of mine.

A lot of girls in my old club in Sweden had them, on all different skill-levels, everything from beginning single jumps up to triples. They are great. :agree:

cBrittSK8

Spectator
Thanks all for your input. Good to hear that you all have had positive experiences. I must admit, my daughter isn't really excited about the way the skates look, but then pretty skates don't do you much good if they hurt your feet do they??

I'll let you know how it works out!