Thread: Preparing for the 2010 Olympics - Top Contenders

Banned
    Can't they get a moment's rest??

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    [Joubert]

He should win the 2010 Olympics

JMO
    Do you really think he's the best out of everyone now that Lambiel has retired?

"Handsome dude with a dancers body" doesn't quite work for me as a reason for why he should win.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Ant, behave yourself or I'll make you listen to Nessun Dorma every day until Olys! I know where you live! At least sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, I am not a fan of everything Brian does. (See: 1492, the first costume ). He needs to change the opening bit and the outfit, and also to call me regarding his LP music because my choice will be better than anything Tarasova could come up with.
    I love the music for his SP and I agree that a new opening would be much better even some pivots or simple edges/alternatnig spread eagles would be better than the current opening - by worlds I would get embarassed for him watching it start.

Ant

[QUOTE=Blades of Passion;388190]Do you really think he's the best out of everyone now that Lambiel has retired? [/UNQUOTE]

I didn't say that. Your question seems personal. I used the conditional - should. I am not predicting Oly champ and will not, but emphasize who has the 'right stuff' for a possible win early next year. As for Lambiel, he remains the very best all-round skater since Kurt Browning. I see no one taking over that position.

"Handsome dude with a dancers body" doesn't quite work for me as a reason for why he should win.
    That's ok for you, although psychologists have written much about good looking people rising up the corporate ladder faster than ordinary looking people. There is a correlation.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 04-03-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Custom Title
    Mao: Go back to her 1 3A and 2 3-3 jump layout from last year, she seems to have a lot more success with that than her current 2 3A layout. Also, Mao needs a full-time coach.

Yu-Na: Improve her positions on her spirals and spins like the layback. Also, for personal preference, I wish Yu-Na's LPs were as spectacular as her SPs...she seems to tend to build up fat leads in her SP and skate not as well in her LPs, which can be sort of anticlimatic when she wins.

Miki: Now she seems to have her jumps back, more choreography is needed. Also, her posture can definitely be improved.

Joannie: Joannie is definitely a podium contender but needs a consistent 3-3 to aim for the gold. Also, as someone said earlier, she needs to work on her upper-body stiffness.

Carolina: I don't know, she has the talent but upon seeing disasters like her Worlds LP...she probably needs a sports psychologist.

Brian: He needs to get a coach he can work with ASAP, have 2 quads in his LP and needs to stop messing with his jump layout at the last minute.

Tomas: Same as Carolina: he has the goods but doesn't seem to consistently produce. A sports psychologist may do him some good.

Patrick: Be more expressive, and stop alienating people by talking trash about other skaters. Would probably need a quad if he wants to be the top of the top, but I doubt he can do one with his current content in his programs.

Evan: He needs to improve his 3A technique, keep skating consistently clean and hope that his other competitors make mistakes. IMO, that's the only way he can have a shot for Olympic gold.

Daisuke: Just come back.

Custom Title
    Talking about spiral sequence, I found this video. And I thought Alissa's was really beautiful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFazitiZoUo
    It is fun to be able to compare in one video like this.

well Evan's out of contention now that he is going into the games as World Champion bubba shot himself in the foot with that win!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Brian: He needs to get a coach he can work with ASAP, have 2 quads in his LP and needs to stop messing with his jump layout at the last minute.

Tomas: Same as Carolina: he has the goods but doesn't seem to consistently produce. A sports psychologist may do him some good.

Patrick: Be more expressive, and stop alienating people by talking trash about other skaters. Would probably need a quad if he wants to be the top of the top, but I doubt he can do one with his current content in his programs.

Evan: He needs to improve his 3A technique, keep skating consistently clean and hope that his other competitors make mistakes. IMO, that's the only way he can have a shot for Olympic gold.

Daisuke: Just come back.
    Basically, I agree with you. I would like to add:

Brian: He has shown his beautiful artistic side in the Worlds Gala this time, hopefully he could come up with a memorable LP program with TAT.

Patrick: Learn something from Michelle Kwan. Talk nicely about other competitors. In the meantime, stay low and work hard on everything he's working on.

Evan: Keep flapping his arms, like Toni suggested. No one can change that, not Tarasova, not Nichol, not Golden Midas.

Plushenko: Stay healthy, and come back. He must have a quad, or he won't come back. So I am not worrying about that.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 04-07-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Eien.
    Why would yuna kim want to imrpove her position on the spiral? she gets 2.00 goe. It's perfect guys!!!

her spins get a lot of goe but not 2.00, wonder what will happen if she improves on them. probably will get crazy scores for medicore postion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipyramidal View Post
    Why would yuna kim want to imrpove her position on the spiral? she gets 2.00 goe. It's perfect guys!!!

her spins get a lot of goe but not 2.00, wonder what will happen if she improves on them. probably will get crazy scores for medicore postion.
    Because her greatness only makes us want more. When people think there is "no further" to improve because they are so impressed, it DOES become just nit-picky. That said, I would like her to just barely fix that clubbed free foot in the spiral. Why not "go for" +3s ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    Talking about spiral sequence, I found this video. And I thought Alissa's was really beautiful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFazitiZoUo
    It is fun to be able to compare in one video like this.
    Very interesting. I'm glad I am not a figure skating judge, to have to decide among them.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Evan: Keep flapping his arms, like Toni suggested. No one can change that, not Tarasova, not Nicol, not Golden Midas.
    all of the other men do it, too, it's just not as noticable... because they're more likeable...

Custom Title
    About Evan I think that without a quad, but with two triple axels and one of them in triple combination, a triple-triple-triple jump he would be rather competitive. Unfortunately I´m not very clear about the rules and what are the jumps that a skater is allowed to do in one freeskate? About his programmes, I would suggest either Lori or David Wilson, definetely not Tarasova... In the Olympic season a skater needs a choreographer whose work does not need to be tweaked all the time.
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-03-2009 at 03:04 PM.

I think he does best with Lori's choreography... hello, Carmen! (love that program)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    About Evan I think that without a quad, but with two triple axels and one of them in triple combination, a triple-triple-triple jump he would be rather competitive. Unfortunately I´m not very clear about the rules and what are the jumps that a skater is allowed to do in one freeskate?
    Without a quad, it would be tricky to do two triple Axels and a triple-triple-triple. You can only do 8 triples altogether, and you have already done five of them in three jumping passes.

Plus, you can only repeat two of them, so if you did, say, 3Lz+3T+3T, then you could do another Lutz. If you did 3Lz+3Lo+3T then you couldn't do a solo loop if you also did a second Lutz. You would most likely end up having to do a couple of double Axels for your last two jumping passes.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast