Preparing for the 2010 Olympics - Top Contenders | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Preparing for the 2010 Olympics - Top Contenders

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well Evan's out of contention now that he is going into the games as World Champion ;) bubba shot himself in the foot with that win! :laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Brian: He needs to get a coach he can work with ASAP, have 2 quads in his LP and needs to stop messing with his jump layout at the last minute.

Tomas: Same as Carolina: he has the goods but doesn't seem to consistently produce. A sports psychologist may do him some good.

Patrick: Be more expressive, and stop alienating people by talking trash about other skaters. Would probably need a quad if he wants to be the top of the top, but I doubt he can do one with his current content in his programs.

Evan: He needs to improve his 3A technique, keep skating consistently clean and hope that his other competitors make mistakes. IMO, that's the only way he can have a shot for Olympic gold.

Daisuke: Just come back.

Basically, I agree with you. I would like to add:

Brian: He has shown his beautiful artistic side in the Worlds Gala this time, hopefully he could come up with a memorable LP program with TAT.

Patrick: Learn something from Michelle Kwan. Talk nicely about other competitors. In the meantime, stay low and work hard on everything he's working on.

Evan: Keep flapping his arms, like Toni suggested. :biggrin:;)No one can change that, not Tarasova, not Nichol, not Golden Midas.

Plushenko: Stay healthy, and come back. He must have a quad, or he won't come back. So I am not worrying about that.

Last edited:

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Why would yuna kim want to imrpove her position on the spiral? she gets 2.00 goe. It's perfect guys!!!

her spins get a lot of goe but not 2.00, wonder what will happen if she improves on them. probably will get crazy scores for medicore postion.

lcd

Match Penalty
Why would yuna kim want to imrpove her position on the spiral? she gets 2.00 goe. It's perfect guys!!!

her spins get a lot of goe but not 2.00, wonder what will happen if she improves on them. probably will get crazy scores for medicore postion.

Because her greatness only makes us want more. When people think there is "no further" to improve because they are so impressed, it DOES become just nit-picky. That said, I would like her to just barely fix that clubbed free foot in the spiral. Why not "go for" +3s ?!?! :agree:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan: Keep flapping his arms, like Toni suggested. :biggrin:;)No one can change that, not Tarasova, not Nicol, not Golden Midas.

all of the other men do it, too, it's just not as noticable... because they're more likeable...;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
About Evan I think that without a quad, but with two triple axels and one of them in triple combination, a triple-triple-triple jump he would be rather competitive. Unfortunately I´m not very clear about the rules and what are the jumps that a skater is allowed to do in one freeskate? About his programmes, I would suggest either Lori or David Wilson, definetely not Tarasova... In the Olympic season a skater needs a choreographer whose work does not need to be tweaked all the time.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think he does best with Lori's choreography... hello, Carmen! (love that program)

About Evan I think that without a quad, but with two triple axels and one of them in triple combination, a triple-triple-triple jump he would be rather competitive. Unfortunately I´m not very clear about the rules and what are the jumps that a skater is allowed to do in one freeskate?

Without a quad, it would be tricky to do two triple Axels and a triple-triple-triple. You can only do 8 triples altogether, and you have already done five of them in three jumping passes.

Plus, you can only repeat two of them, so if you did, say, 3Lz+3T+3T, then you could do another Lutz. If you did 3Lz+3Lo+3T then you couldn't do a solo loop if you also did a second Lutz. You would most likely end up having to do a couple of double Axels for your last two jumping passes.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Because her greatness only makes us want more. When people think there is "no further" to improve because they are so impressed, it DOES become just nit-picky. That said, I would like her to just barely fix that clubbed free foot in the spiral. Why not "go for" +3s ?!?! :agree:

who cares she does the spiral perfectly better than other people. she gets 2.00, she doesn't have anything to work on anything anymore because she gets gigantic goes on everything ^____^;;;;. Which means she has the best spins/spirals/ and footwork in the whole competition!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Do you really think he's the best out of everyone now that Lambiel has retired

I didn't say that. Your question seems personal. I used the conditional - should. I am not predicting Oly champ and will not, but emphasize who has the 'right stuff' for a possible win early next year. As for Lambiel, he remains the very best all-round skater since Kurt Browning. I see no one taking over that position.

Hmm, it seems like "could" is what you meant then. "Should" means you want Joubert to win.

He should win based on his attributes, but Chan could too based on similar reasons, and don't forget the posible threat if Plushenko would bring to the mix. Sorry, no hoping or predicting till I see this years' GPs and GPF. I do not have any favorites. :)

jettasian

Match Penalty
Patrick: Learn something from Michelle Kwan. Talk nicely about other competitors. In the meantime, stay low and work hard on everything he's working on.

Since when was Chan not talking nicely about others besides rebuffing Joubert's egoistic comments? And why learn something from Kwan whom choked TWICE in Olympic games?

Chan, just be honest and say what's in your mind and skate with your heart!

Patrick: Be more expressive, and stop alienating people by talking trash about other skaters. Would probably need a quad if he wants to be the top of the top, but I doubt he can do one with his current content in his programs.

Since when has Chan alienatling other skaters? Since when was Chan talking trash other other skaters besides telling the truth about the marks?

I wish people get the facts right before writing something that doesn't make sense at all...

Last edited by a moderator:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He should win based on his attributes, but Chan could too based on similar reasons, and don't forget the posible threat if Plushenko would bring to the mix. Sorry, no hoping or predicting till I see this years' GPs and GPF. I do not have any favorites. :)

I'm still confused. :scratch:

It sounds like you are in fact predicting Joubert for the win, or at least saying he is the most likely to win (not a bad bet!). Either that or you feel Joubert is the overall best skater competing right now and therefore he should win.

If you didn't mean any of those things I have no idea what you're saying. :think:

^ I think Joe is using the word "should" in this sense: Tiger Woods should win the Masters because he hits long off the tee and has a precise short iron game and a sure putting stroke.

In other words, by all the conventional criteria Tiger seems to have a lot going for him, but you never know.

This doesn't mean that a Tiger win is morally right (you should honor your father and your mother), or that Joe necessarily hopes Tiger will win, or even predicts that Tiger will win.

(Well, that's what I think anyway. :laugh: )

oxade21

Match Penalty
Men: Joubert, Plushenko, Takahashi, Chan
Women: Asada, Kim, Ando, Rochette
Pairs: S/S, K/S, Z/Z, D/D
Dance: D/S, B/A, V/M, K/N

tilak

On the Ice
I think Johnny Weir will be back fighting hard with a new determination. I hope Evan continues on strong and adds a quad. I will be anxious to see how Takahashi will rebound from his injury/surgery. Count me in for :love: Mao! I think she is my #1!!!