Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for the 2010 Olympics - Top Contenders

Eien.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Because her greatness only makes us want more. When people think there is "no further" to improve because they are so impressed, it DOES become just nit-picky. That said, I would like her to just barely fix that clubbed free foot in the spiral. Why not "go for" +3s ?!?!
    who cares she does the spiral perfectly better than other people. she gets 2.00, she doesn't have anything to work on anything anymore because she gets gigantic goes on everything ^____^;;;;. Which means she has the best spins/spirals/ and footwork in the whole competition!

Custom Title
    I have say that my favorite for the gold medal in Miki Ando

Eien.
    Quote Originally Posted by jovani2293 View Post
    I have say that my favorite for the gold medal in Miki Ando
    ^ Please.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Do you really think he's the best out of everyone now that Lambiel has retired
    I didn't say that. Your question seems personal. I used the conditional - should. I am not predicting Oly champ and will not, but emphasize who has the 'right stuff' for a possible win early next year. As for Lambiel, he remains the very best all-round skater since Kurt Browning. I see no one taking over that position.
    Hmm, it seems like "could" is what you meant then. "Should" means you want Joubert to win.

He should win based on his attributes, but Chan could too based on similar reasons, and don't forget the posible threat if Plushenko would bring to the mix. Sorry, no hoping or predicting till I see this years' GPs and GPF. I do not have any favorites.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post

Patrick: Learn something from Michelle Kwan. Talk nicely about other competitors. In the meantime, stay low and work hard on everything he's working on.
    Since when was Chan not talking nicely about others besides rebuffing Joubert's egoistic comments? And why learn something from Kwan whom choked TWICE in Olympic games?

Chan, just be honest and say what's in your mind and skate with your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post

Patrick: Be more expressive, and stop alienating people by talking trash about other skaters. Would probably need a quad if he wants to be the top of the top, but I doubt he can do one with his current content in his programs.
    Since when has Chan alienatling other skaters? Since when was Chan talking trash other other skaters besides telling the truth about the marks?

I wish people get the facts right before writing something that doesn't make sense at all...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 04-03-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: merging

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    He should win based on his attributes, but Chan could too based on similar reasons, and don't forget the posible threat if Plushenko would bring to the mix. Sorry, no hoping or predicting till I see this years' GPs and GPF. I do not have any favorites.
    I'm still confused.

It sounds like you are in fact predicting Joubert for the win, or at least saying he is the most likely to win (not a bad bet!). Either that or you feel Joubert is the overall best skater competing right now and therefore he should win.

If you didn't mean any of those things I have no idea what you're saying.

^ I think Joe is using the word "should" in this sense: Tiger Woods should win the Masters because he hits long off the tee and has a precise short iron game and a sure putting stroke.

In other words, by all the conventional criteria Tiger seems to have a lot going for him, but you never know.

This doesn't mean that a Tiger win is morally right (you should honor your father and your mother), or that Joe necessarily hopes Tiger will win, or even predicts that Tiger will win.

(Well, that's what I think anyway. )

Banned
    Men: Joubert, Plushenko, Takahashi, Chan
    Women: Asada, Kim, Ando, Rochette
    Pairs: S/S, K/S, Z/Z, D/D
    Dance: D/S, B/A, V/M, K/N

Custom Title
    I think Johnny Weir will be back fighting hard with a new determination. I hope Evan continues on strong and adds a quad. I will be anxious to see how Takahashi will rebound from his injury/surgery. Count me in for Mao! I think she is my #1!!!

Down With It
    First off, speedy recovery and resurgence to Nagasu and Meissner. Hopefully they can be in the mix next year.

Flatt should just keep doing what she is doing now and improve herself.

Zhang and Wagner have their work cut out for them, but they can do it.

Czisny, sadly, I have little to no hope in. I don't think she will get the advantage if 2010 Nats turns out to be like the 2009 edition.

The up-and-comers (who I don't really know the names of), should strive to be better but I think they will miss out on 2010. Time to revise for 2014.

IMHO Kim Yu-na's situation right now is like Slutskaya's after the 2005 World Championship. She is so far out ahead of everyone that we might as well give her the gold medal now.

But, like Slutskaya, that aura of invincibility is hard to sustain for a whole year. Kim's absolute peak came with her astonishing short program. Two days later, for the long, I think she got a lot of "momentum points" from the judges.

I hope she will approach next season as if she is starting over at the bottom of the hill, planning to crest the summit in February. The season is just too draining otherwise.

I think Mao Asada will come out with a program next season that allows her to breathe and take her time with her elements. This year, her LP was so unrelenting it is no wonder that she was struggling to keep her head above water. Mrs. Taravova pretty much admitted that she was pushing Mao to the limit in this non-Olympic season, so she can sparkle all the brighter next year.

I look at Mao's 2008-09 season as training with weights on your ankles. Next season she will take them off, back off the frenetic pace, and hit every element with ease.

(My predicted podium: Rochette, Ando, Zhang. )
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-03-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Since when has Chan alienatling other skaters? Since when was Chan talking trash other other skaters besides telling the truth about the marks?

I wish people get the facts right before writing something that doesn't make sense at all...
    When did I ever say that Chan has been alienating other skaters? I said that he had been alienating people (i.e. like me and other posters who have previously voiced their disapproval of his comments). And you know what? I actually agree with what Chan said about PCS, about how the quad isn't the be-all-and-end-all of figure skating. I, however, disliked how he mixed those comments in with attacks on Joubert's personality, which hardly constitutes as "the truth about the marks."

Maybe you should take your own advice sometimes.

Re: Evan and Quad

would he really be ADDING it or just bringing it back? ADDING sounds like he never had one (which okay based on the judging this season he might not get credit for landing one, but you kno what I mean)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post

PLUSHENKO, KWAN, COHEN: Stay home.
    Absolutely! I am American, but if Sasha and Michelle go to Vancouver, I root for Yu-Na, Mao, and Miki.

Let Rachael and/or Caroline, Mirai, Ashley or Alissa have their shots at it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast