Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for the 2010 Olympics - Top Contenders

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Sadly, at Olympics, Joe, you're right. Dance gets very, very political at Olympics. I am commenting with eyes more on next year's World Championships.

I am hoping it won't so much this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Sadly, at Olympics, Joe, you're right. Dance gets very, very political at Olympics. I am commenting with eyes more on next year's World Championships.

It's not just Dance, Doris. I think all the divisions are aiming for Gold, and it's a run for whatever it takes to get that gold. Aside from the prestige, the Federations see more money coming into kitty for future years.

We have to rely on Cinquanta to keep tabs on skulldugery. Just thinking that Canada may be worse off because of interfering with 2006 Olys and putting him on the spot. Do you think Cinquanta will be able to stop any chicanery before it starts?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    It's not just Dance, Doris. I think all the divisions are aiming for Gold, and it's a run for whatever it takes to get that gold. Aside from the prestige, the Federations see more money coming into kitty for future years.

We have to rely on Cinquanta to keep tabs on skulldugery. Just thinking that Canada may be worse off because of interfering with 2006 Olys and putting him on the spot. Do you think Cinquanta will be able to stop any chicanery before it starts?
    I think the answer to that is clear - Cinquanta was the main proponent of annonymous judging and he failed to investigate the alleged collusion at SLC. He clearly has no interest in having a "clean house".

Ant

I think Mr. Cinquanta is in a tough spot. He serves the pleasure of the member federations. And in fact, he was elected (over Sonia Bianchetti) by political chicanery.

The culture of the ISU is that it is the mission of every national federation to win as many medals in international competition as possible. It is the responsibility -- nay, the sacred duty -- of a national federation to play the political game behind the scenes, even as it is the responsibility of the skaters to do their best on the ice. If some national federations do not play along, the more fool they.

Even at the national and club level, there is a certain sentiment that it is a coach's duty to lobby for his skater.

Cinquanta's response to the bad publicity generated in Salt Lake City was damage control, not reform.

Eien.
    Japan has vry good junior skaters. (Ladies.) They have a bunch of elite skaters already like nakano and suzuki.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    I don't agree.
    I liked Mao's choice of music, the choreography and the costume. It's a pity she was not on the podium. Artistically she is much better than last year IMO.
    I heard she said she wants to do something totally different with TT next year, to show a new side of herself. If she wants to be TOTALLY different, maybe she could do a boot-scooting number like Slutskaya's ex at the 2002 games? I would so pay to see that...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    I heard she said she wants to do something totally different with TT next year, to show a new side of herself. If she wants to be TOTALLY different, maybe she could do a boot-scooting number like Slutskaya's ex at the 2002 games? I would so pay to see that...
    You mean she should try doing a program to eurodance? (Slutskaya did a Rednex - a 90s dance band - piece in 2002).
    That would be really fun to watch!
    But this is a territory, Mao has never explored, even in an exhibition (right?). I don't think she will try something that new in an Olympic year.
    Never, say never, because if she said she wants to try something completely different, she may really surprise us.
    Yagudin coached by Tarasova did an eurodance piece (Racing, or more correctly Played-A-Live by Safri Duo), but that was after he won the Olympics.
    Maybe she should try something upbeat in the SP, and then do something she is more comfortable with (Chopin for example) in the LP.

My speculation is that she will do a tango piece in the SP or LP, considering the tango mania.
    Last edited by gio; 04-07-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Eien.
    i think a clean mao will win, but because her programs are jam-packed with high level stuff it'll be hard to perfect.

Custom Title
    I'm thinking a little bit more, no that upbeat music will not suite Mao at all, even in a SP! She should really do a tango, IMO!!

On the contrary Rachael Flatt should do "Meet Her at the Love Parade" (Bourne/Kratz 99 FD music) or "Open Your Mind" by Usura in the SP.

I'd like to see Caroline Zhang do "Sarabande" by Handel. Perfect for her. But also for Mao it will be ok.

Yu Na could do "Romanza".

Joannie, I have to think about.
    Last edited by gio; 04-07-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Thanks as always for your wonderful insights on dance Doris.

If Olympics is "very very"... then what was Worlds this year? just one "very"

Sigh....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Maybe she should try something upbeat in the SP, and then do something she is more comfortable with (Chopin for example) in the LP.
    If Mao does a Chopin tune again I think I'd have to slap her. Honey, you've DONE it before, twice! And done it well, twice!!! Time to move on. Actually, I hope the biggest trend for the 2010 games is original music choices. I always admired Michelle Kwan for choosing beautiful but lesser known pieces.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    If Mao does a Chopin tune again I think I'd have to slap her. Honey, you've DONE it before, twice! And done it well, twice!!! Time to move on. Actually, I hope the biggest trend for the 2010 games is original music choices. I always admired Michelle Kwan for choosing beautiful but lesser known pieces.
    I'm really sorry, but I think it won't happen next year with the current crop of skaters and their entourage.

I liked the musical choices of the 90s. Some good and original music pieces. With Michelle Kwan being one of the most important ones (Taj Mahal, Romanza, Salome, Lyra Angelica, Ariane, Red Violin, Black Swan etc...). Also a lot of ethnic pieces were choosen.

Now it's almost all classical music and tangos. And a lot of overused pieces.

I do not see Mao as a Lori Nichol skater. I think she is better off with TT but TT has to find better music than a waltz.

Unless her injuries have caused permanent damage to her body, I would like to see YuNa improve her line. The knees have to be turned out and the toes pointed. Slutskaya did it. No reason for YuNa not to do it.

Joannie is moving right along in the right direction.

Carolina K. needs a lot of work.

The American Ladies have an uphill battle but either of them will podium if the favorites falter.

Tripping on the Podium
    Well, I'm preparing myself for the 2010 Olympics for the simple reason that judging of figure skating is getting vague. *Firstly, good luck to all the athletes - they really need it, I just couldn't put myself into their shoes cause with what they are trying to skate better, get to a higher level, take more risks to achieve the most result with their techniques - they end up confused, once they are in the Kiss & Cry, thinking about what they have done wrong to receive certain marks while all their practices were thought to have corrected their past faults ; **Secondly, good luck to their coaches, they need it too, cause they have to be right and sturdy as not to destroy/mar the athlete's emotional/mental/physical well being - they also have to choose the right music that would appeal to the judges, fans, media and of course should be compatible with the way/style of the athletes. But no matter what, I'll still be watching figure skating with all the umphs and sighs and whats and whys and..............

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I do not see Mao as a Lori Nichol skater. I think she is better off with TT but TT has to find better music than a waltz.

Unless her injuries have caused permanent damage to her body, I would like to see YuNa improve her line. The knees have to be turned out and the toes pointed. Slutskaya did it. No reason for YuNa not to do it.
    I also think TT is better for Mao. Maybe I am in the minority but I enjoyed her LP more than previous ones. I think TT knows what to do. I just hope that they find some way to stay longer together, either in Russia or in Japan. It will certainly help Mao improve consistency and, more importantly, become more confident with what she can do.

It would be really great if Yu-Na becomes more flexible and improves her line but I am afraid her injury is a kind of permanent thing. When asked about the injury, she does not say it is completely healed. Instead she says that as an athelete she cannot avoid injuries and she now knows how to control it. She still seems to feel something which, though, is not painful when she is in good physical condition.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast