World Standing Bonus 2008-9 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World Standing Bonus 2008-9

Binthere

On the Ice
I would agree with the comment made earlier about funding for these events. To award points would involve ISU's financial commitment. But when they are pulling back from the number of Junior Grand Prix events, I would find it unlikely they would be looking to expand their commitment to other events outside of their own. Maybe only if TV money got into the mix. Bottom line, money needed.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the ISU won't grant "B" International status to events outside Europe, then at least they should change the way they calculate points. Under current rules, the best FOUR International "B"s count towards ISU ranking points.

A European skater could enter almost every International "B" in a season. Only the best two per season count, so if there were two wins, that would be 500 points. Over two seasons, that would be 1000 points, more than a skater would earn by finishing 3rd at Worlds.

I think the ISU should allow only the top TWO International "B"s to count towards World ranking, since only European skaters are able to benefit from this point source, considering that their federations don't have the heavy travel expenses the Asian and North American federations would incur to go to "B"s.

I still think that Ptitcha nailed it in her post above.

The purpose of this award is not to find out who the best skaters are (that's what the world championship, with its prize money, is for), or who had the best results overall.

It is a reward for those skaters that did the most to promote ISU events. I guess that would be Verner.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Mathman, if that's the case, why bother with giving points based on placement at each competition? Why not just count how many events each skater did?

If it's a results-based bonus, as the ISU is trying to present it, then a skater with no wins and podium finishes only at half of his events shouldn't finish first. Even if he is cute, and really good when he's on, and needs the money.

If it's not results-based, they should make that clear.

Medusa

Record Breaker
If it's a results-based bonus, as the ISU is trying to present it, then a skater with no wins and podium finishes only at half of his events shouldn't finish first. Even if he is cute, and really good when he's on, and needs the money.
Does Tomas need the money? There are quite a few sponsors listed on his official website, he is represented by a big Czech sports agency (that also represents top athletes from "Czech" sports like ice hockey and football), he does several shows in Europe.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think that Ptitcha nailed it in her post above.

The purpose of this award is not to find out who the best skaters are (that's what the world championship, with its prize money, is for), or who had the best results overall.

It is a reward for those skaters that did the most to promote ISU events. I guess that would be Verner.

So for promoting small-potatoes events in Europe, a skater can walk away with the big prize? That not only makes no sense, but it is incredibly unfair to the North American and Asian skaters that can't participate in all those events because the travel expenses are prohibitive.

Just as outrageous is Kostner's getting 2nd prize money for a VERY sub-par season. It was only her disastrous Worlds performance that kept HER from being #1 again this year.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Just as outrageous is Kostner's getting 2nd prize money for a VERY sub-par season. It was only her disastrous Worlds performance that kept HER from being #1 again this year.
No, Caro didn't win anything. She's second in the World Standings but that's not the season bonus - the standings go three years back so it's not completely ludicrous. She did win it last year, but then she's been European champion and second at Worlds in addition to doing pretty well on the GP circuit and competing in some senior Bs. Yu-Na, Mao and Joannie got the bonus money for 2008-9, which I think we can all agree is very fair.

Medusa, I've no idea if Tomas needs the money. Other people seemed to think that he did.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
No, Caro didn't win anything. She's second in the World Standings but that's not the season bonus - the standings go three years back so it's not completely ludicrous. She did win it last year, but then she's been European champion and second at Worlds in addition to doing pretty well on the GP circuit and competing in some senior Bs. Yu-Na, Mao and Joannie got the bonus money for 2008-9, which I think we can all agree is very fair.

Medusa, I've no idea if Tomas needs the money. Other people seemed to think that he did.

Of course he does. He works with Lori Nichol.

Mathman, if that's the case, why bother with giving points based on placement at each competition?

If it's not results-based, they should make that clear.

So for promoting small-potatoes events in Europe, a skater can walk away with the big prize?

I think the real question is, why give out money for these rankings at all?

I accumulated 3269 points, you acculmulated 3047 points. Well, good for me. But why should anyone give me $45,000?

As I recall the history of this prize, the ISU came up with the idea when top draws Michelle Kwan and Evgeny Plushenko started skipping the Grand Prix events, just showing up for Worlds and the Olympics. This hurt the ISU in its pocketbook.

The ISU's first response was to growl and make threatening noises about what awful punishments they would mete out to skaters who skipped ISU events and to the national federations that were not able to force their skaters to show up.

That accomplished zero. You can't make someone skate who doesn't want to.

So this was their second try. Maybe skaters would show up if they could earn a cash prize at the end for doing so.

Yes, it is results based. But skaters have already recieved their cash prizes for winning worlds, Europeans, NHK trophy, etc. I think the right question to ask is, what is the ISU hoping to buy with this extra bonus money?

antmanb

Record Breaker
If the ISU won't grant "B" International status to events outside Europe, then at least they should change the way they calculate points. Under current rules, the best FOUR International "B"s count towards ISU ranking points.

A European skater could enter almost every International "B" in a season. Only the best two per season count, so if there were two wins, that would be 500 points. Over two seasons, that would be 1000 points, more than a skater would earn by finishing 3rd at Worlds.

I think the ISU should allow only the top TWO International "B"s to count towards World ranking, since only European skaters are able to benefit from this point source, considering that their federations don't have the heavy travel expenses the Asian and North American federations would incur to go to "B"s.

But it's not like only european skaters enter the "B" Internationals - it's just that much lower ranked US and Asian skaters get sent. Hasn't Alissa won a number of the "B" internationals?

Ant

hanca

Record Breaker
Does Tomas need the money? There are quite a few sponsors listed on his official website, he is represented by a big Czech sports agency (that also represents top athletes from "Czech" sports like ice hockey and football), he does several shows in Europe.

You do know I hope that average salary in Czech Republic is approximately £500 per month... You may argue that there must be cheaper prices of things (living expenses) there, but not THAT cheaper. Besides, if he practices in Obertsdort, he needs to pay his coach in Euro, which is not cheap currency for Czech people. Considering that Tomas is a university student and therefore does not have full time job, a lot of his expenses would be paid by his family who is earning in Czech Koruna currency. Yes, of course he does get some money from shows, some price money from competitions (if he wins) etc, but trust me, he DOES need the money.

For comparision, when I used to live in Czech Republic and did some part time job while studying, the amount I earned in 18 hours of work would pay me one 30min lesson of skating here in the UK. (Something like that can happen if one earns money in one country and trains in other country).

Tomas Verner's family earns in Czech Koruna. Tomas is paying for lesson in Euro and his choreography in other currencies... You do the maths.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
But it's not like only european skaters enter the "B" Internationals - it's just that much lower ranked US and Asian skaters get sent. Hasn't Alissa won a number of the "B" internationals?
Only one - this year's Nebelhorn.

What these "B" comps also mean is to get the opinions from ISU judges of their programs, and that is excellent feedback before major comps. Yet, where are these Europeans when the big comps come along? A German Pairs team; a Russian Pairs team, and that Russian Skate Dance team. They should be developing more top tier skaters.