New Article on the Image of Skating | Golden Skate

New Article on the Image of Skating

antmanb

Record Breaker
One thing Mr. Chipeur doesn't typically discuss: his shiny costumes.

I haven't gotten round to watching the LPs yet but Chipeur's SP costume was utterly disgusting. Blue tie-dye? I think not talking about his costumes is the best thing to be done!

Ant

lcd

Match Penalty
Kind of a disappointing angle for the Wall Street Journal to take. I would think their "sports BUSINESS" perspective would give them ample opportunity to comment on many other commercial challenges that the sport is dealing with - more than just the enmity of Gay support groups towards the marketing efforts of Skate Canada. Hey - at least they are trying.

That same month, Skate Canada paired with Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada, a motorcycle distributor, to do a photo shoot with some of its female skaters sitting on Harley motorbikes.

I don't know about the men, but we can make the ladies look more butch. :cool:

The slide show was cool. Gold: Jackson Haines' Santa Claus suit. Silver: Toller Cranston. :rock:

Medusa

Record Breaker
If all this wasn't so incredibly pathetic, it would be hilarious.

Danale

On the Ice
But attracting the football crowd could be a challenge for a sport whose fans routinely throw stuffed animals onto the ice as a show of admiration.
Funny ...

stevlin

On the Ice
costumes

I think the Canadian Fed. is encouraging Vaughn Chipeur to be macho, to become another Elvis S. I like Vaughn very much and think he will become a better skater, but he should focus on his skating and forget about promoting "Manliness". I hope the costumes don't go black and plain. Scott Hamilton's Olympic costume was so ugly. Guys"Don't go there".

Wrlmy

Medalist
It's possible to be chic and to avoid sequin at the same time. Evan's previous costumes were all very stylish and made him look good. Vaughn? Not so much.
Skate Canada should accept that FS will not attract football crowd no matter what. They should work on strategies to attract and not lose the current/previous fs demographics. Association of FS with femininity is a worldwide phenomenon, except in Asia where masculinity is not associated with losing a tooth in a hockey game, I don't know what SC can do to alter that image.

Sinclare

Rinkside
I am not an expert in marketing, but isn't it counter productive by focusing your press release on what you "don't want people" to think about?
Maybe if some of the federations started pouring these marketing dollars into the skater's training expenses they would have better results that would make people watch no matter what they were wearing!
The gay community is a big audience for figure skating, I am not asking to be catered to, just don't alienate us! Not all gay men wear glitter, not all men who wear glitter are gay. Canada what are you thinking? :scratch:

i love to skate

Medalist
Maybe if some of the federations started pouring these marketing dollars into the skater's training expenses they would have better results that would make people watch no matter what they were wearing!
The gay community is a big audience for figure skating, I am not asking to be catered to, just don't alienate us! Not all gay men wear glitter, not all men who wear glitter are gay. Canada what are you thinking? :scratch:

Skate Canada is not trying to alienate anyone. All they are trying to do is garner more attention for the sport. Figure skating often carries the perception that it is easy and not difficult because the top skaters make everything look so easy. What's wrong with trying to get across the message that skating is hard, difficult, and dangerous?

Also, in regards to the costumes some of them so hideous that it is embarassing. I totally support better costumes. For examples of horrendously ugly costumes one only has to look at this years Worlds in LA. The French male skaters had particulary ugly costumes. If a remember correctly, one of them actually wore a t- shirt that said "ICE" on it. Now that makes me scratch my head. :scratch:

life684

Final Flight
According to Skate canada toughfer jumps means more athleticism, and hence masculinity. I wonder this is applicable to Joubert and Chan.

WIth all these fuss, i wonder what they smoke.

bems

Rinkside
I think the Canadian Fed. is encouraging Vaughn Chipeur to be macho, to become another Elvis S. I like Vaughn very much and think he will become a better skater, but he should focus on his skating and forget about promoting "Manliness". I hope the costumes don't go black and plain. Scott Hamilton's Olympic costume was so ugly. Guys"Don't go there".

I agree, lets get on with the skating! I hope Chipeur delivers and does not get sucked in to being a poster boy for heterosexual hoi polloi!

Binthere

On the Ice
I am not an expert in marketing, but isn't it counter productive by focusing your press release on what you "don't want people" to think about?

Great comment. I agree. There are many positives that could be emphasized, but are not. :clap:

gsrossano

Final Flight
The comment that costumes should not have a lot of sequins or feathers or things hanging off the costume now explains the motivation behind catty comments made about Brandon Mroz at Skate Canada. Debbi Wilkes was on their skatebug broadcast with a recent Canadian skater (I don't remember who it was) and they were making fun of Mroz's costume. They called him a "poster child for what not to wear." Apparently his is a costume that is too gay looking and not appropriate for the new Skate Canada dress code.

wishmaker

Rinkside
I don't get how and what they are trying to convey. Firstly, figure skating is a very risky sport--injuries are expected because ice is slippery and your mobility depends greatly on the blades. Secondly, the costumes of the skaters are of their own choice. Some skaters believe that they can enhance their program with their own unique designs. Thirdly, there was never and there will never be any rulings about being homosexual or heterosexual, tall or short, the color of your skin, big or small and so on. The image projected about by the skater with their program is very subjective with the audience. So, I really don't get the point and can't fathom what they are trying to convey.

The comment that costumes should not have a lot of sequins or feathers or things hanging off the costume now explains the motivation behind catty comments made about Brandon Mroz at Skate Canada. Debbi Wilkes was on their skatebug broadcast with a recent Canadian skater (I don't remember who it was) and they were making fun of Mroz's costume. They called him a "poster child for what not to wear." Apparently his is a costume that is too gay looking and not appropriate for the new Skate Canada dress code.
and they approved of that blue and white dishrag of Chipeur?
Neither young men deserve to be dressed this way. I'm all for well fitted trousers and blouses without any acoutrements. Colors may be selected for the music.