Time for Mao to consider Morozov | Golden Skate

Time for Mao to consider Morozov

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't know if I like the idea of Mao being coached by Morozov....

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Doesn't Morozov have his hands full with so many elite skaters--Miki, Nobunari, Fumie...I mean, he's unlikely to neglect Mao (of all people!) but there's only 24 hours in a day. And there's a reason why Adam Rippon left Morozov.

And I really don't want Mao to get Morozov'd, choreography-wise.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Noo, I don't want Mao to go to Morozov!! I realized that TT was not going to work a while ago, but of all people, not Morozov. I hope Mao hasn't mentioned anything of this sort herself.

Sinclare

Rinkside
Is Jack Gallagher Morozov's agent or something? Wasn't it Gallagher that told Morozov's "side" of the Tak split? Give me a break!:rofl:
The last thing Mao needs is Morozov. Mao is innocent and young. Don't forget so was Miki. Mao is a super talent she needs attention and decent choreography she would get neither from Morozov.
Isn't there anyone in Japan that could coach her?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I like the article, thanks for posting. I agree that having a coach that lives 5,000 miles away is not going to make Mao a olympic champion, esp when there is an almost unbeatable yu-na breathing down her neck. Morozov would be a good choice, but I agree that he is WAY to busy right now to take on somebody like Mao who need a coached almost undivided attention and also the fact that she did not like living in the U.S. She and he sister felt rather alone in Lake Arrowhead because of the language barrier. So much so that Mai returned to Japan after a few months and Mao left right before worlds last year. Mao has made it clear that she does not want to leave Japan (athough if I were her I would go to Tasmania to get away from those pesky and sometimes downright mean press that follow her all over). If relocating was an option she would be living in Russia as we speak.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't know why she can't use Sato, or her old coach. But that's just me...

ks777

Record Breaker
I know.....I think Mao should go back to familiarity and be coached by Machiko Yamada

She really can't go back to Machiko Yamada because as I remember, I could be wrong but Yamada told her to go find a better coach. Her coach thought Mao wasn't going to get that much better with her any more.

She could go to Sato but there is Yukari Nakano and the ice rink is very crowded and not much ice time available.

I wish Mao would go back to Artunian. She was so much better when she was with him.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
I wish Mao would go back to Artunian. She was so much better when she was with him.

Do you think it's possible? I also think that Mao was more stable under Artunian, but it sounded like Mao was unhappy with living in Lake Arrowhead even if some people deny that. It's hard to concentrate when you are homesick.

I don't think that Morozov would be that bad as long as he doesn't choreograph her programs. However, he would have to divide his attention between Miki, Oda & Mao, which means Suguri would probably be left out in the cold.

BTW, I thought Mao just signed a contract with TAT for another year?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this could just be me, but I think constant uprooting and chaning coaching and training styles every season doesn't seem to be the way to become World or Olympic champion... muscle memory would get confused, as well as your own emotions. How can you expect to trust and rely on someone you're not sure will last a season as your coach, much less longer than that! It's not working for Joubert that well, and it doesn't seem to work for Mao.

ks777

Record Breaker
Do you think it's possible? I also think that Mao was more stable under Artunian, but it sounded like Mao was unhappy with living in Lake Arrowhead even if some people deny that. It's hard to concentrate when you are homesick.

I don't think that Morozov would be that bad as long as he doesn't choreograph her programs. However, he would have to divide his attention between Miki, Oda & Mao, which means Suguri would probably left out in the cold.

BTW, I thought Mao just signed a contract with TAT for another year?

I don't know if Mao was homesick or unhappy in Lake Arrowhead. She had her mother and sister with her... I am just worried that she is trainning by herself most of the time when in japan. Yuna is working with not only Orser but David Wilson, Tracy Wilson and Shea Lynn Born.

I don't think Mao has any chance of beating Yuna so long as she have to go back and forth to Japan and Russia. It just won't cut it. Mao should have a technical coach, choreographer and basic skating coach and maybe a spin coach working with her every day in order to be more competitive with Yuna. I don't know why she doesn't do that, she has the money.

wishmaker

Rinkside
Is Jack Gallagher Morozov's agent or something? Wasn't it Gallagher that told Morozov's "side" of the Tak split? Give me a break!:rofl:
The last thing Mao needs is Morozov. Mao is innocent and young. Don't forget so was Miki. Mao is a super talent she needs attention and decent choreography she would get neither from Morozov.
Isn't there anyone in Japan that could coach her?

I don't think it'll be good for Mao to work with Morozov. And yes, it's still fresh in my mind how Gallagher had to make a write-up about Morozov without thinking that there's 2 sides to a coin. It definitely was devastating to Takahashi that it even affected his performance. Morozov sounds like a sour grape when he doesn't get what he wants--putting blames on different people. With that reputation preceding him, I could not imagine MAO to be working with him. Mao has a lot of respect and love for TT and she deserves the best especially now that she has improved so much and her level of figure skating has motivated and inspired other skaters to always try and strive for perfection.

gio

Medalist
I don't think Morozov will be OK for Mao.

IMO Tarasova did a great job. What Mao needs is to go for a year in Moscow. Full-time training there with Tarasova.

wishmaker

Rinkside
I don't think Morozov will be OK for Mao.

IMO Tarasova did a great job. What Mao needs is to go for a year in Moscow. Full-time training there with Tarasova.

I think you're absolutely right, GIO. She really needs full-time training which means -1) She trains in Russia, cuz TT has her family problem to think of and it'll be more convenient for them, saves time from all the travelling ; orelse 2)TT has to come over to Japan. Whichever way, they must decide on one place.

Binthere

On the Ice
this could just be me, but I think constant uprooting and chaning coaching and training styles every season doesn't seem to be the way to become World or Olympic champion... muscle memory would get confused, as well as your own emotions. How can you expect to trust and rely on someone you're not sure will last a season as your coach, much less longer than that! It's not working for Joubert that well, and it doesn't seem to work for Mao.

I agree with Tonichelle. Don't people say that moving is one of the most stressful things that people do? Making so many changes and having all that uncertainty. I think it is asking for a lot of things to go well all within a very short period of time

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Or..... she can win olympics with no coach againn? :chorus::chorus::chorus:

Anyway, I think Mao should go to Russia. Travelling from japan to russia can be very exhausting.

viv

On the Ice
I like the article, thanks for posting. I agree that having a coach that lives 5,000 miles away is not going to make Mao a olympic champion, esp when there is an almost unbeatable yu-na breathing down her neck. Morozov would be a good choice, but I agree that he is WAY to busy right now to take on somebody like Mao who need a coached almost undivided attention and also the fact that she did not like living in the U.S. She and he sister felt rather alone in Lake Arrowhead because of the language barrier. So much so that Mai returned to Japan after a few months and Mao left right before worlds last year. Mao has made it clear that she does not want to leave Japan (athough if I were her I would go to Tasmania to get away from those pesky and sometimes downright mean press that follow her all over). If relocating was an option she would be living in Russia as we speak.

I agree. And, as I have read one or two days ago, that Mao stays with TAT till Olympics, I think the whole article was just a shot in the dark.