Time for Mao to consider Morozov | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Time for Mao to consider Morozov

Analyze the Lady: She has natural rotation on the ice and in the air. Her body line has improved tenfold. She has it all. What she needs is a coach who can put that all together with a Lori Nichol routine.

elanna

Rinkside
What she needs is a coach who can put that all together with a Lori Nichol routine.

But, if I`m not mistaken, Mao`s been losing all this season with the SP by Lori Nichols while winning with the Tarasova`s LP! How about that?;)

berrycute

On the Ice
I think the idea that she go to Moscow for a year is the most sensible. It's just one year, to get ready for the Olympics, she might have to make the sacrifice if she really wants to perform well in Vancouver.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
But, if I`m not mistaken, Mao`s been losing all this season with the SP by Lori Nichols while winning with the Tarasova`s LP! How about that?;)

It is not the chreography that is making her lose in the SP. Mao had not been a good SP skater ever, and with her lutz problems and tendency to get downgraded on the 3/3...those make up her problems in the SP. If she did a 2 axel, 3 loop 3 axel 2 toe everytime...

That may be, and I wont argue it, but what I saw LIVE in LA was a waste of talent in the long program. The big 3A, and then everything is humdrum. I do blame that repetitive waltz music. Mao may just not be a lyrical skater. YuNa showed some character with the different changes in music with her LP. Maos was the same throughout.

elanna

Rinkside
Lori Nichol`s always been one of my most favourite choreographers. I did adore all the programs she created for Michelle Kwan, I could watch Michelle skating them day and night long! I cried watching them! But, on the other hand, there was that fatal program (mean LP 2003-2004 season) she choreographed for Timothi Goebel that, it`s of course just my personal opinion, "killed" him...Maybe the point is whether the choreographer "suits" the sportsman fine?

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
It is not the chreography that is making her lose in the SP. Mao had not been a good SP skater ever, and with her lutz problems and tendency to get downgraded on the 3/3...those make up her problems in the SP. If she did a 2 axel, 3 loop 3 axel 2 toe everytime...

I agree that her strategy in the SP should be to use the 3A as her combo jump. Though because triple loops are a little at the mercy of the caller I think a 3F from steps might be better.

Alternatively if she insists on wanting to use the 3F+3Lp combo and clean it up, then she could bring back the brackets into 3A as the solo jump. I think the hit rate on her 3A must be the same if not better than the 3Lz.

Or perhaps she spent the off season cleaning up her lutz and spent this seasno trying to get teh "new" lutz out on competition. She's failed on the triple a number of times but the pops have all been off the correct edge so this could be the season she spent getting it right and next season we'll see a consistent true triple lutz?

Ant

Lori Nichol`s always been one of my most favourite choreographers. I did adore all the programs she created for Michelle Kwan, I could watch Michelle skating them day and night long! I cried watching them!

But, on the other hand, there was that fatal program (mean LP 2003-2004 season) she choreographed for Timothi Goebel that, it`s of course just my personal opinion, "killed" him...Maybe the point is whether the choreographer "suits" the sportsman fine?

I don't think it was the choreography of the Queen program that killed Goebel. The year before (fall of 2002) Goebel had to withdraw from the Grand Prix series because of hip problems. Although he recovered by the end of the season and won the 2003 silver medal at Worlds, again in the first event of the next season, 2003 Skate America, he had to withdraw again, this time citing problems with his boots.

This developed into back problems (spinal misalignment) which got worse and worse and eventually forced him out altoghether, but I don't think this was because of the choreography of the programs that he was attempting to train.

Goebel gained 200% in presentation skills under Lori Nichol's tutelage. Yes, he still had another 200% to go before you could call him graceful. But if you compare, say, his American in Paris program with what he was doing before he came to Nichol, the improvement is immense.

His first coach, Carol Heiss :love: , taught Timothy how to do a quad and thus secured his place in figure skating history (the first man to do three quads in program, etc.) But on the presentation side, i have to give Nichol a lot of credit.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Agreed - nicely stated Mathman.

What will be of interest though, is how Lori Nichol will handle all of the demands on her time. I'd have to double check, but I do believe she has agreed to choreograph programs for "competing" skaters (for instance, Rachael and Mirai in the US last season). Would she do so many programs during an "Olympic" year, when people tend to get more proprietary owing to the stakes being higher. For Mao's sake, would hope so, as I do see the choreography being the key link to her putting it all together.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know, his Queen program was WAY better than his LP in his final season (2006) that Tarasova put together. THAT was awful...

and Lori gave him that beautiful SP in 2005... granted he skated with everything he had in him (they had just announced the tragedy surrounding US Nationals - Angela's family in the car accident where her mother was killed - and it definitely had an impact on him).

LeCygne

Final Flight
In the Worlds EX, someone brought up that Mao should use Por Una Cabeza as a competitive program next year. I actually think that's a great idea. It's probably a bit short for a LP (and I can't imagine what she would add to it that wouldn't just be repetitive and boring) but I think it would make a great SP. Especially with her SP problems, it might help to do something already familiar. And by the way she skates her EX, it certainly seems like she loves the program.

Just rewatched the EX. It's actually the perfect length for a SP. Heck, it practically is a SP. It's got all the components of one: 3 jumping passes (including one axel), spiral sequence, step sequence, spins (just change them to one sit, one combo, one layback). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYD_qWjWFRw&feature=channel_page

Last edited: