Stars On Ice -Boston | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice -Boston

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I went to the Boston show on Sunday afternoon.

I thought it was a great show. Seeing Kulik, S/Z and D/L for the first time was
a big thrill for me and they delivered. I had on ice seats and I will admit that I was a little star struck being so close to the skaters.

B/A I like their program much better than last season’s Sexy Back. It had lot of drama, beautiful lifts and it was very Russian. I noticed a big difference in their technique, very smooth and precise.

Each of Todd and Michael’s programs was very entertaining and crowd pleasers.

The number with Yuka, John and Michael I liked very much. I have to say that I was very impressed with Yuka, the girl still got it. She also did two solo numbers and was very engaging with the audience and nobody strokes across the ice like Yuka, she is something else.

Kimmie looked beautiful she had on a very pretty fuchsia dress. She attempted quite a few jumps. She fell on a triple jump, completed one triple jump, doubled another triple jump and I think did two 2A . She skates quite fast and was whizzing by me so I could be wrong on the jump content. Other than her fall it was a beautiful program. It was good to see her and she had a lot of fans in the audience.

S/Z was a highlight for me just exquisite skaters. Ditto for D/L great programs. Love both of these teams.

Kulik, what can I say that has not already been said. He has such a presence on the ice and skates beautifully. I was thrilled to finally get to see him live.

Evan did an abbreviated version of his Gershwin LP. I was glad he did not do his hip hop routine. He skated great and did quite a few jumps and boy can he jump. After his number Todd came out and congratulated Evan on becoming World Champ and the audience gave him a big round of applause.

Sasha skated only one number and it was Moonlight Sonata. I believe she only did 2 jumps. She had a hand down on one of the jumps but completed the triple jump it was right in front of me. Sasha was a little off. She looked tentative and she was having trouble controlling her spins but that is just nitpicking because I thoroughly enjoyed her program and she is breathtaking on the ice no doubt about it. Before she skated her solo I did notice in the group numbers that she looked a little tentative and slow compared to the other skaters. I hope she is alright.

I also enjoyed John Z and both of Jen’s numbers.

Ending group number was fun and the skaters were having a good time. B/A, Evan and Kimmie came out to do the last skate around the arena slapping hands and then they threw strawberries into the crowd. Of course I had the on ice seats so I figured there is no way I was going to get a strawberry but Yuka skated right over to me and handed me one (which I gave away to a young girl who was sitting near me). Then I almost fainted because John Zimmerman skated right over to my section and shook hands with us and asked if we enjoyed the show and thanked us for coming.

Evan and Tanith still looked like a couple to me they were standing together laughing and chatting away throwing the strawberries into the audience and when it was over they skated away together into the tunnel.

I thought the entire show was simply marvelous!!!

Sorry that I don’t have any photos to post. Photography is not my forte. lol

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
I went to the Boston show on Sunday afternoon.

I thought it was a great show. Seeing Kulik, S/Z and D/L for the first time was
a big thrill for me and they delivered. I had on ice seats and I will admit that I was a little star struck being so close to the skaters.

B/A I like their program much better than last season’s Sexy Back. It had lot of drama, beautiful lifts and it was very Russian. I noticed a big difference in their technique, very smooth and precise.

Each of Todd and Michael’s programs was very entertaining and crowd pleasers.

The number with Yuka, John and Michael I liked very much. I have to say that I was very impressed with Yuka, the girl still got it. She also did two solo numbers and was very engaging with the audience and nobody strokes across the ice like Yuka, she is something else.

Kimmie looked beautiful she had on a very pretty fuchsia dress. She attempted quite a few jumps. She fell on a triple jump, completed one triple jump, doubled another triple jump and I think did two 2A . She skates quite fast and was whizzing by me so I could be wrong on the jump content. Other than her fall it was a beautiful program. It was good to see her and she had a lot of fans in the audience.

S/Z was a highlight for me just exquisite skaters. Ditto for D/L great programs. Love both of these teams.

Kulik, what can I say that has not already been said. He has such a presence on the ice and skates beautifully. I was thrilled to finally get to see him live.

Evan did an abbreviated version of his Gershwin LP. I was glad he did not do his hip hop routine. He skated great and did quite a few jumps and boy can he jump. After his number Todd came out and congratulated Evan on becoming World Champ and the audience gave him a big round of applause.

Sasha skated only one number and it was Moonlight Sonata. I believe she only did 2 jumps. She had a hand down on one of the jumps but completed the triple jump it was right in front of me. Sasha was a little off. She looked tentative and she was having trouble controlling her spins but that is just nitpicking because I thoroughly enjoyed her program and she is breathtaking on the ice no doubt about it. Before she skated her solo I did notice in the group numbers that she looked a little tentative and slow compared to the other skaters. I hope she is alright.

I also enjoyed John Z and both of Jen’s numbers.

Ending group number was fun and the skaters were having a good time. B/A, Evan and Kimmie came out to do the last skate around the arena slapping hands and then they threw strawberries into the crowd. Of course I had the on ice seats so I figured there is no way I was going to get a strawberry but Yuka skated right over to me and handed me one (which I gave away to a young girl who was sitting near me). Then I almost fainted because John Zimmerman skated right over to my section and shook hands with us and asked if we enjoyed the show and thanked us for coming.

Evan and Tanith still looked like a couple to me they were standing together laughing and chatting away throwing the strawberries into the audience and when it was over they skated away together into the tunnel.

I thought the entire show was simply marvelous!!!

Sorry that I don’t have any photos to post. Photography is not my forte. lol

Thanks for the report - sounds like skaters and audience were both having a good time. On ice seats - WOW!!

I saw SOI in Chicago with Evan where he did his Bolero. Nice to hear he's taking Rhapsody on the road too - even in a shortened form. Perhaps similar to the version he used on the Today Show in Feburary.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Sasha was a little off. She looked tentative and she was having trouble controlling her spins but that is just nitpicking because I thoroughly enjoyed her program and she is breathtaking on the ice no doubt about it. Before she skated her solo I did notice in the group numbers that she looked a little tentative and slow compared to the other skaters. I hope she is alright.

I saw SOI live both this year and last year, and I thought Sasha was slow and tentative compared to the other skaters both times, and I don't think it has anything to do with injuries or anything like that. She just does not have the confidence and presence one would expect from the headliner. She really is not the show skater that so many thought she would be. Both this year and last, I thought she was the least interesting skater in the entire cast. Her programs are all the same, and she makes no attempt to connect with the audience at all. I feel sorry for the people who went to the show specifically to see her, because I found her to be really disappointing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
First off, thanks for the report :agree:

As for the mistakes, I think fatigue might be setting in. Interesting you mentioned being star-struck, because last year in Baltimore I had on-ice seats and I didn't get that feeling, not even during the handshakes. I was just like, wow, this is really cool. First live skating show.

The one time I did get that feeling was during the meet and greet last month, specifically during my brief encounter with Cohen when the group of skaters came up. The surprising thing was that I didn't even expect it to happen (I'm rather cool about things like this, I'm not one of those "fanboys") and it wasn't in a "freak out" kind of way, it was more like blanking out, "I can't believe this is actually happening" type of thing.

And speaking of Cohen, that brings me to my next point. AI brought up an interesting point- Last year I felt the exact same way. I felt that she missed the mark; she didn't connect with the audience and she didn't attempt to relate to them. Even sitting right on the ice, I didn't feel anything from her and that's saying a LOT. It felt like she was in her own little world, going through the motions, collecting a paycheck, etc.

THIS year, though, I felt different re. her. Maybe because the guest skaters weren't there or whatnot, but in Philly I did like her Moonlight Sonata performance. I think she performed it well, at least in that city- save a mistake on one of the jumps. And the Rihanna thing is supposed to be showy, I thought that was refreshing coming from her (glad to see her branching out from the same old same old, taking a risk) but I'm not so sure it fits her persona very well...

It's a great show, though. I preferred last year overall but I feel the skaters do a good job to give all audiences the best they've got, and make it fun for everyone. It was clear during the M&G that the male skaters (and S/Z) really appreciate their fans. The quick way to lose fans is to take them for granted, and these guys didn't do that. I was impressed and it made me like them more and respect what they do more.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the review, demarinis5. How fun it is to relive our special memories from this season's tour. :party:

We loved Sasha's Moonlight Sonata. Glad to hear that she skated to it yesterday. Hope that she is OK though, considering that she only skated the one solo program.

What a treat to see Evan, Tanith & Ben, and Kimmie! :biggrin:

Lissy, if you go to this link, you'll be able to see the music lists for the entire show. http://www.starsonice.com/figure-skating/?content=music Then it will direct you to the programs including Evan and Kimmie's music.

Now the long wait begins for next season's tour (2 more shows to go on this one, so bring on those reviews).

Last edited:
Thank you demarinis,you've whetted my appetite to see a skating show. I would luv to see Kimmie, and see how she is getting on.

To see Yuka Sato again, is to remind me just what figure skating is all about.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Damnit!!! Meissner still has problems with jumps!!!!!!!! :banging:

I was thinking the same thing :(

I would not worry about Kimmie to much. She looked very fit and definitely in competitive shape. Her program was very difficult and COP friendly. She will be back I am sure.

Lissy, if you go to this link, you'll be able to see the music lists for the entire show. http://www.starsonice.com/figure-skating/?content=music Then it will direct you to the programs including Evan and Kimmie's music.

Thanks for that link. If I listed all the music I would have had a 3 page report.
lol

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks so much for the report! Many people take photos, but few post such detailed reports.

Like Joe said, it really makes me want to attend a show! :rock:

SOI should definitely hire you to write advertising copy!

tarotx

On the Ice
This is two days in a roll that Sasha did only one program. The day before she did just her Don't stop the music. I hope she's okay.

McWicked

On the Ice
I would not worry about Kimmie to much. She looked very fit and definitely in competitive shape. Her program was very difficult and COP friendly. She will be back I am sure.

Has ever Meissner looked not fit in all these years? I dont ever recall her not bein very fit.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This is two days in a roll that Sasha did only one program. The day before she did just her Don't stop the music. I hope she's okay.

not saying this is the reason but have you considered that it could be to keep the show within time? There are two additional guest skaters now, so stripping one of Cohen's programs helps in this regard.

OT, but did you guys see Kimmie, Lysacek and Belbin and Agosto on the Today show this morning? They talked about their charity work with children. There was a few second clip of Evan's world's LP. B&A did not get to talk because they ran out of time (the cooking segment ran over. :eek:hwell: )

tarotx

On the Ice
not saying this is the reason but have you considered that it could be to keep the show within time? There are two additional guest skaters now, so stripping one of Cohen's programs helps in this regard.

Actually Jeff Buttle has left the show so there are not extra programs. Also I highly doubt a Sasha program would be the one cut. This is SOI USA so Jennifer Rob would have one of her programs cut first. She only had one program last season.

I think Sasha's not feeling good but they have 4 and 1/2 days off so she should be better when the show returns and we will be better able to assess rather your theory has any merit of not.

McWicked

On the Ice
OT, but did you guys see Kimmie, Lysacek and Belbin and Agosto on the Today show this morning? They talked about their charity work with children. There was a few second clip of Evan's world's LP. B&A did not get to talk because they ran out of time (the cooking segment ran over. :eek:hwell: )

No, missed it, is there any way I could watch it?